PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Cull Out Duplicates?

mickeyw3340
11-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Im trying to cut down on the number of individual pastels in my working families. When you are looking to pull out duplicates and store them aside, do you look for an exact pigment match before considering it a duplicate, or just close? To me, value has to be a match, but exact pigment, I am curious.

Donna T
11-11-2017, 09:35 AM
I would take out any that are an exact match for sure, especially for something like a plein air box where space is limited. For a larger studio selection I guess it would depend on how often I use a particular color family if I wanted to downsize. In my box I have several very bright, intense yellows of the same value (most sets come with one) that I hardly ever use so I would probably pick one that best represents all of them to set aside. As long as I have a light, medium and dark of a color I *should* be able to adjust the hue. If you set some colors aside I'd be curious to know how you like painting with a slightly more limited palette.

soap
11-15-2017, 03:10 PM
I would go for exact matches as well. Although I would not check pigments. If it looks the same and feels the same, I'd put it aside.