PDA

View Full Version : November Oil pastel challenge and chat

tuscanny
10-31-2017, 10:26 AM
It's November already! We've had our first rain and hail too and the landscape is turning green:clap: (Here in South Africa)
Here is a bee on a flowering mustard spinach
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-bee_christel_pmp.jpg
Amaryllis and aquilea
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-amaryllis_s.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-a_ops_mayaquilea1_pro_s.jpg
Animals on the farm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-DSC_5173s.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-pic1_031s.jpg
Cat by stalksthedawn ril
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-IMG_3392stalksthedawn_ril.JPG
2 photos by Colins RIL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-Jasper_colins_ril_s.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-JasperNP_colins_ril_s.jpg

tuscanny
10-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Linford autumn by Pencilpete
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-linford_autumn_pencilpete_ril_s.jpg
Ontario Ashworth by tstimpson
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2017/1256189-Ontario_-_Ashworth_0035_tstimpson_ril_s.jpg
I hope you find something that inspires you and looking forward to see lots of paintings:cat:

raizes
10-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Nice! I love these pics Christel. I think you already know which ones I'm going after....hmm maybe my autumn series isn't done yet...

talinka
10-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Christel, you're killing me with all the trees!! I guess I'll have to draw trees then

tuscanny
11-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Glad you like the references Looking forward to seeing your paintings.

tuscanny
11-02-2017, 01:44 PM
The bee 8x11.5
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2017/1256189-8x11.5_ops_nov_s.jpg

talinka
11-02-2017, 03:50 PM
OK, so I did trees.
This is the best impressionism I could muster.
C&C would be appreciated.

talinka
11-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Nice, I liked the bee!

raizes
11-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Christel - Love it. Amazing detailed work. the delicacy of the bee's wings is right on!

Tali - This is beautiful! Love the light and your application of leaves/foliage looks great. I love the variety of greens you have as well. Nicely done!

I'm workin on the mountain road scene. Hopefully will post later tonight or tomorrow. Lots going on today!

tuscanny
11-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Thanks Tali and Rich!
Well done, Tali! What size is your painting?

talinka
11-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Thanks Christel & Rich.
As for your question, Christel, it was done on 9X12 black mi teines paper but I cropped about 1.5-2 cm off the edges of the wide side. So about the size of an A4 sheet but not quite ;-)

raizes
11-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Here's my take on the mountain-road scene.12x16 inches senns and mungyos. My goal here was to go quick, and no blending with fingers.

tuscanny
11-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Lovely! Your technique suites the ruggedness of the landscape perfectly.

talinka
11-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Hi Rich,
I love that you rook a kitchy refernce and changed the palatte to make it a gloomy scene. It works really well with your fast technique.

terriks
11-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Christel - I love that bee!! The wings are delicate and beautifully done. Great job with the op's!

Tali - you do lovely work. It's so soft, the colors so pretty, I feel I could float down that road. Wonderful!

Rich, the mountain road scene looks great. I agree with your decision not to try to fill in so much of the painting with all that hard blue from the ref photo. You ended up with a very nice palette - I agree with Christel's comment that the texture fits the scene well. Great work, and thanks for including the close-ups!

tuscanny
11-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Thanks Terri!

raizes
11-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone! Here's my take on the Ontario Ashworth pic. I changed it a bit...I wanted a strong light piercing through a dense wooded forest illuminating the big tree and immediate surroundings. I chose my brightest red to pop those red leaves getting hit by the light. First time I used that color from my set and I can see why. It's super bright and brilliant, but i think it fits really well in this scene next to the cool blues and greens I have. This was a lot of fun!!

I painted on 16x20 inch panel, Senns and Mungyo's... Biggest panel I've tried and loved it so much, I ordered 4 more. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated.

Oh,...I also painted this live on my instagram and actually got 3 people to watch and they stayed watching! Even an hour in and they still there.

tuscanny
11-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Love the changes, Rich. Beautiful painting. Congrats on your first live demo!:clap:

terriks
11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Ooo, I like the idea of the light streaming in, and you did it very well. I love your trees!

Interesting that you decided to work with a larger panel. I have been thinking it might be easier with op's to go big (or go home!). Less fuss about getting those small details in. Did you find it easier in that regard?

I will join Christel in congratulating you on a live video! :)

talinka
11-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Hi Rich,
I love how you did the light sifting through the tress. And the bright red works really well to brighten up the picture. I would work a little nore on the rays of light, because it seems to me that some could use some straightening (even with a ruler)

ntl
11-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Christel, these are all beautiful. There's not enough time in November to do all I want here and in two other forums, as well as the others I have started.
I must learn to work faster!

Christel, beautiful!

Tali, that is just so nice. For c&c, the only thing I would suggest is a slight strengthening of the shadows at the base of the trees. It's a very inviting path for a picnic.

I agree with Tali--you've got a snow storm on the way. Get the wood in!

raizes
11-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Christel, Terri and Tali... - Thank you!

Terri - I'm slowly working bigger and bigger. Working on smaller size has it's own challenges for sure. Perhaps, less room for error. The obstacle I've faced with going larger is that it can seem overwhelming to have to cover so much space. I would recommend for anyone new to OP's or painting/drawing in general is to start small to force improvement of skill level, then go bigger when you have that confidence!

Tali - yes. I agree on the light rays. I got to a point where I didn't want to overdue it and ruin the painting. I'll wait a bit for the OP to setup and then I'll go back and work that out a little more.

Thanks everyone!

ntl
11-08-2017, 04:52 AM
Rich, your rendition of the Ontario Ashworth picture is quite wonderful. I'll have to try layering! The light hitting the tree and the intensity of the red leaves makes the piece outstanding.
That comment about bringing the wood is was me, commenting on your mountain road scene. That was pretty neat, too!

raizes
11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Thank you ntl. I appreciate your comments.

tuscanny
11-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Thanks Ntl! Looking forward to seeing your work:crossfingers:

tuscanny
11-13-2017, 03:36 AM
I liked the red splash of leaves. My version A3
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2017/1256189-a3_tstimson_ril_ops_novs.jpg

ntl
11-13-2017, 06:44 AM
Christel, very nice. When you say A3, do you mean bond paper?

tuscanny
11-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks Ntl! Sorry, I forgot USA doesn't work metric sizes.
A1 = 33x23.5 inches
A2 = 23.5x16.5 inches = 1/2 of A1
A3 = 16.5 x 11.75 inches = 1/2 of A2
A4 = 1/2 of A3 = std size for photocopy paper
A5 = 1/2 of A4
A6 = 1/2 of A5

ntl
11-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks, I wondered about the paper too.

raizes
11-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Beautiful work Christel! A wonderful version. The foliage and texture is well done.

tuscanny
11-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks Rich!
Ntl - I used Rolfes sketchpad for this painting. It's thin(100gsm) but I like it.

terriks
11-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Wow, excellent rendition of the tree, Christel. The bark and foliage are beautifully done. I like that pop of red, too!

tuscanny
11-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Thanks Terri!

talinka
11-14-2017, 03:46 AM
Christel- I like your version of the wood. There is an excellent depth perception in this drawing and I love the red :-)

tuscanny
11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Thanks Tali!

IsobelW
11-19-2017, 01:26 AM
It feels like years since I touched an oil pastel:lol:. Started the rabbit, but I'm not sure how to approach the background. Advice would be welcome.

tuscanny
11-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Great start, Isobel.
Might I suggest that you use a white crayola crayon and add to the fur in the direction of the hair to suggest the fluffiness more?
For the background lay down a very thin layer of old rose, salmon pink or even yellow ochre, blending lightly with the fingers. Then add light green, grey green and whatever you think is necessary in small light strokes, stipples and dashes. I even use the side of the pastel for quicker effect. Make the foreground more pronounced. You can even use pencil for blending and detail. Blend with tortillion lightly only where needed.
Looking forward to seeing your finished work.

IsobelW
11-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Updated. I need to work on the fur. I tried crayons,coloured pencils and white OP, but I think I put down too many layers of brown and grey, so the white doesn't show up well.

tuscanny
11-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Lovely! I like the texture showing the short grass. The white crayon and cp help with the blending without darkening even more. If you want to add white, you might try to use white oils in tiny amounts - add with a thin old bristle brush or sharp tortillion.

IsobelW
11-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have oil paints. Will acrylic work?

tuscanny
11-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Acrylics don't work as they have to be oil based to mix with the oil pastels.

IsobelW
11-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Understood. Thanks for letting me know.

terriks
11-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Here is my take on the mountain scene. 9x12 Strathmore Pastel paper - the same yucky texture, but it's the only colored paper I have.

This time, I chose a blue/gray paper and chose not to fight it at all. It made my life easier. :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2017/2007441-Mountain_scene.jpg

Except for the outline, the color showing in the mountains is the paper itself - I added some strokes of white for the snow and some blue for shadowing.

There's some obvious paper showing through in the mid-range and foreground of the painting. Some areas I worked in more OP's than others. I used Mungyo and Senns, with a couple of Cray-Pas in the base layer.

Comments always appreciated!

terriks
11-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Oh, and I should have removed the taped edges before I photographed - I can see some along the top. oops!

I generally tape the paper edges so I can have them clean when I'm done. I work on a drafting table, not an easel, so it's easier to move the paper around with taped edges. :)

tuscanny
11-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Lovely work, Terri. With that type of textured paper i like to use solvents:)

talinka
11-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Nice landscape, terri. The mountain and clouds look van gogh-esque.

raizes
11-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Nice work Terri! I like the foreground colors, and the application you got in the sky and the mountains. Good choice on the color of paper and allowing some of that to come through in that middle hill area. You got the angles and lay of the land down perfect. I have a couple of suggestions...

The big tree in the foreground has pretty much same value (top 1/3 of tree) as the hill behind it. So that part looks like it's disappearing somewhat. If you were to quickly darken that part, it would push it forward. I also really like that grey color of paper coming through. If you have a mungyo of the same value, you could light scrumb over and blend it in. That would really help push that hill back. You could also experiment doing the same with the snowy mountain and immediate foothill right below.

terriks
11-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Lovely work, Terri. With that type of textured paper i like to use solvents:)
Thanks, Christel! I have used turp on this paper before. Once dried, it worked out fine for the underpainting, but the paper is very thin and it was a rather messy affair, too easily soaked through to the back. Well, it was actually a VERY messy affair. :lol:

Here, I used coats of fixative instead so I could keep adding layers and it was easier.

I do prefer heavier paper! :)

terriks
11-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Nice landscape, terri. The mountain and clouds look van gogh-esque.

Thanks so much, Tali! There's no higher praise!

Margaretta
11-26-2017, 06:36 PM
It's a long time since posting here (I usually look and admire) but I really love working in oil pastels. The picture of the hare...I just HAD to try it! This year was the first time I have ever seen hares box. My photos aren't good but I did a quick painting of them. Now this hare made me remember so I hope you don't mind if I join in?
It's on light cardboard and measures 12.5" x 9". Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2017/216855-20171126_231921_2.jpg

raizes
11-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Margaretta...lovely texture and really like the blues and lavender you have here and there. They play nice with rest of the palette. The hare has a nice softness too. Well done.

terriks
11-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Hi Margaretta - this is lovely! :clap: I love the addition of your blues and purple. Even your background is extra nice! Wonderful work throughout.

terriks
11-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Nice work Terri! I like the foreground colors, and the application you got in the sky and the mountains. Good choice on the color of paper and allowing some of that to come through in that middle hill area. You got the angles and lay of the land down perfect. I have a couple of suggestions...

The big tree in the foreground has pretty much same value (top 1/3 of tree) as the hill behind it. So that part looks like it's disappearing somewhat. If you were to quickly darken that part, it would push it forward. I also really like that grey color of paper coming through. If you have a mungyo of the same value, you could light scrumb over and blend it in. That would really help push that hill back. You could also experiment doing the same with the snowy mountain and immediate foothill right below.
Thank you, Rich! (I replied to your comments before but apparetly didn't hit Submit!) oops.... :lol:

I agree that the values are too close with the part of the foreground tree overlaying that mountain. It was helpful to have you suggest darkening that section, for in reality I had done the exact opposite - I used a lighter green, thinking it would pop out against the darker backdrop. It's more evident in person than it is in the photo, but still too close in value to work well. A few strokes of the sap green or black will balance it better.

I like the idea of inspecting the grays and adding them to push that hill back a mite further. Thanks for the suggestions!

tuscanny
11-26-2017, 10:24 PM
Love your version of the hare, Margaretta! I'm glad you joined and hope to see you more often:)
Here is another photo of the hare - quite at home here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2017/1256189-hare.jpg

talinka
11-27-2017, 04:43 AM
Lovely hare, Margaretta. I love the free technique

Margaretta
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Thank you so much for letting me join in. I hope to do so more regularly. Thank you too for the lovely, encouraging comments.
Tuscanny: Please may I paint the second hare; he's great!
That is a superb bee and the fine detail contrasts so well with the soft flowers of the mustard spinach. Your painting makes me dream of Summer.
Your dark, woodland scene is so familiar to me as it is like our local woodland. This painting brings out the mystery, thickness of the lush foliage, detail and rich colours.
Raizes: Great colours, details and variety of marks. It's amazing that there was no finger-blending as you have created a delightful group of effects.
Through your 'Ontario Ashworth' painting you definitely achieved all you intended with the sunbeams and sumptuous colours.
Isobel: we chose the same reference and it's great to see how we both tackled the furry subject. Yours is so cute and I liked how you built up the painting. I had a long debate with myself to leave out or keep the pole. I decided that it wouldn't add to the painting. As an old lady now I can draw the bits I like!:cat: :lol:

tuscanny
11-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks Margaretta. You're more than welcome to paint the second hare too. Looking forward to seeing your version of him.

Margaretta
11-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Terricks: my apologies. I drafted a comment and forgot to add it here: must have been cooking dinner!:clear:
I immediately thought your painting a great design, yes a bit of Van Gogh in those striking snow mountains but each area has a different character. Great colour too. It would make a magical stained glass window!:) :wave:

Tuscanny: thank you. I'll give it a whirl when I have time.:)

terriks
11-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Terricks: my apologies. I drafted a comment and forgot to add it here: must have been cooking dinner!
No apology needed - I just did the same thing! :lol:

Thank you for the kind words!