PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Paper

Seli1
10-26-2017, 02:03 PM
What is a good paper weight for soft pastels?

water girl
10-27-2017, 12:58 AM
I think the first paper to try is Canson Mi-Tientes, smooth side. It is suggested you have a few sheets of paper between the Mi-Tientes and drawing board. Just experiment. Some artists prepare their own surfaces. There are many sanded papers such as Sennelier La Carte, Ampersand Pastelbord, Uart, Velour, Pastel Mat, Canson Touch, Art Spectrum and more. You want a paper with enough tooth to hold a few layers of pastels.

Seli1
10-27-2017, 10:49 AM
thank you. Do you know if Fabriano brand is good?

water girl
10-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Personally, I've never used it. Another thing to consider, when starting out, is to use a colored paper. I use a medium sand (tan) or gray paper. You can experiment with colors. Black paper can change things up for you as well. Check out some of the WIP's (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=444), works in progress and see what brand and color of paper the artists are using.

Seli1
10-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Thank you.

What do you think or know about pastels on pre stretched canvases?

DAK723
10-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Thank you.

What do you think or know about pastels on pre stretched canvases?
I would strongly recommend using pastel papers and boards rather than other papers or canvas made for other media. Pastel papers are all made to hold the pastel particles in some way. If you want to use canvas, I would recommend getting a pastel ground or primer that you can then brush onto the canvas to make it more receptive to the pastel particles. Golden makes a pastel ground as does Art Spectrum.

More info here:

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/gesso-ground/grounds-for-painting---drawing

http://artspectrum.com.au/products/colourfix-primer/

Of course, you can use pastel on any surface, but since there are so many papers and boards made specifically for pastels, it seems like they are the best choice, in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Don

Seli1
10-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Thanks.

Tessa_77
10-28-2017, 03:30 AM
I'm using colored Fabriano Ingres paper. It has 2 different textures, one front being more textured and the other being smoother. So you kind of get 2 papers in one. I'm happy with it.

Dingo
10-30-2017, 02:49 AM
I occasionally use a coloured Fabriano paper from some old stock I purchased many (20+) years ago, it has a similar weight to Mi-Tients with a different texture which is on both sides.

Although the texture is somewhat similar to an Ingres type paper, being a heavier paper than the Ingres papers I have used, the texture is courser and will take more layers.

I personally prefer it to the Mi-tientes texture and just as useful as their smooth side, though as I haven't purchased any recently it may differ from that which is available now.

Dingo
10-30-2017, 05:42 AM
Hi again

I have just recalled that the Fabriano paper I purchased was called Tizziano or something very similar.

Seli1
10-30-2017, 11:08 AM
I've seen that name. Thank you.

stapeliad
10-30-2017, 12:32 PM
You might consider getting a paper sampler pack from Dakota. The paper will really affect your workflow. Sanded papers are very different from non-sanded papers and you might have to try different surfaces to see what you like.

I also agree with not using canvas... even if you put a pastel primer on it. it just doesn't go well with pastels in general. Panels on the other hand, when properly primed, are great!

contumacious
10-31-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't like ANY pastel papers other than the various sanded varieties such as UArt, Fisher 400 and Pastel Premier but everyone has their favs. Personally, I wish I had started with that and had not even bothered with the traditional stuff. You should try try every paper out there that you can find as well as at least a few of as many types and brands of artist quality pastels, before you decide on anything.

My advice to anyone starting out in pastels is to be sure to try at least one sheet of 320 or 400 grit UArt or Pastel Premier for mixed hard / soft pastels and 800 grit for hard only pastels and pencils at the same time you are trying the various traditional papers.