PDA

View Full Version : New painting coments and critic

digiartdave
10-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Hi Have not been around much in the last couple of months, as I have been moving house, as I am now living in Portugal, and know officially a resident of Portugal.
But that's a long story, I have recently produced this portrait All comments and critique welcomed, trying out a soft more subtle type of portraiture, I used a black and white photo of a woman, for reference only to get the shadows looking right.
Look forward to your comments.

Dave
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2017/1979683-Portrait_of_a_woman.jpg

Elainepsq
10-18-2017, 12:53 PM
It looks good, the only thing that I'm thinking is to make the shadow on the eye and the ear a little softer. In the case of the eyes, at first glance I thought the eyeballs were missing, rather than closed, the ear looks a little pasted on. It looks like more of a line, rather than a shadow between the ear and the face. Come to think of it, so does under the nose. Perhaps strong just under the nose and then softening as it gets closer to the upper lip?

LavenderFrost
10-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Good work, and some good points made by Elaine. The shadow under the mouth also really stands out, like there is actually a black mark on her face. Perhaps because you used a black and white reference, the shadows may have been showing too dark.

digiartdave
10-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your comments, The image on here do seem to have more contrast on here for some reason, and yes the shadows do look a bit to harsh, I only used the reference image as a guide.
thanks for stopping by and your time to comment, some times you cannot see the wood for the trees so to speak.

digiartdave
10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
I have made some adjustments to the shadows, I hope that it looks better in this one
Dave
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2017/1979683-Portrait_of_a_woman_ver_2.jpg

LavenderFrost
10-20-2017, 09:55 AM
That looks better.

b'anna
10-25-2017, 03:08 PM
the softening really helped. Looks good!

digiartdave
10-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all your comments much appreciated. It was quite a deferent style of painting for me with your help I thing I got what was intended so thnks again