PDA

View Full Version : Above the Falls

sundiver
11-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Cross-posted in the plein air forum
I spent a wonderful 2 1/2 hours here on Saturday morning, sitting in the van looking out the sliding door. That water tumbles over a cliff and zigzags down through the bushes, and you can see right over the city and out to the bay.
I know the composition is heavy on the left side. I don't intend to do more on this but will probably go back there again, so any critiques or advice for next time is welcome.
8x10 oil pastel on blue-grey primed wc paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2003/6393-6393-abovethefalls.jpg

crumbedbrains
11-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Hey matey,
Would be great to see a ref pic but my comment would be to watch the tonal range . . . .I mean go for more of it . . some darker darks and lighter lights . .this will create more drama for you. Also my eye tends to flick between the bright horizon and the water which I guess are the aspects which drew you to this lovely scene. (BTW you've got the reflections down really well!!) If that's the case I would add a little more foliage on the right and drop the central foliage which creates a path through the painting . . right now there seems to be a number of bits of foliage that "kiss" the horizon in the centre which is a little off-putting for mine.
Hope this helps . .otherwise ignore!!! LOL
Cheers
Crumby

blissfullyunaware
11-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Sundiver... :clap: beautiful approach, love the impressionist approach for plein air, gives it such a "fresh" quality ... I agree with Crumby on the tonal aspect... thanks for sharing this with us can't wait to see more!! That is a lovely place to paint... lucky you!!! :D

~ Sharon

guilliame
11-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Hey Sundiver,well you certainly have been a busy bee,this one and one in the weekly thread,never mind it may be heavy on the left,thats just nit picking it is beautifly drawn and painted tho and the water reflections are soooooooooooo gooooooood:cool: :D

Mikki Petersen
11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
LOVELY! I think your pallette here is great! Does need a bit more contrast to punch it up, but lovely all the same. I love the image of you huddled in your van painting...that's dedication! and a studio on wheels!

Kathryn Wilson
11-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Love the colors in the sky and the reflections in the water. After my little foray into plein aire painting, I admire that you find the greatest little places to paint. In the van - nice and snuggly, a place to put your pastels, a cuppa joe, music from the radio.

:D

Rosic
11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
It fills all the senses...
I can smell the fresh air and hear the rushing water.
Rosic

sundiver
11-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks Rosic, Kat, Mikki, Guill, Sharon and Crumby for your comments!
I see now how those branches "kiss" the horizon. I hate that, so why do I do it? :D
Kat, your scenario is exactly what was happening!
It was a grey, muted, overcast November day, with no shadows and very little tonal contrast. I've already exaggerated the contrast and wonder if more would lose that late fall- almost ready-to-snow atmosphere. (Well, next time I can always wait for a sunny day!:) )
I'm really enjoying these plein airs- have set a goal of 100 to see how much I can improve- and can hardly drive down the road without scouting for a good painting site.

Mikki Petersen
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, that's that! I'm off to buy a van! Don't think it would work so well in my MonteCarlo...