PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Fixative

Gubster Bug
11-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi. I'm usually a lurker at the Plein Air site, but I've got several tech questions that perhaps might be answered by someone in Pastels: Can anyone advise about oil pastel fixitive? More specifically, does anyone have experience with the products being marketed as OP fixitive? Lastly, can anyone give me an idea how to keep the oil in OP, from migrating into a matt? I'd appreciate any opinions, advice or suggestions.

Thanks for any help,

Gubster Bug

Mary Robinson
11-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Hi there,

Sennelier makes a fixative for OP. It's transparent, leaves a clear and glossy finish and is made from a vinyl resin and an alcohol base. Works pretty good at protecting the painting. Available online from dickblick.com at about 16.00 before shipping.

Mary

E-J
11-04-2003, 03:10 AM
Gubster, try these two threads for information on oil pastel fixative:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84243

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114567

Take a look at the Pastel Library Table of Contents for more threads about oil pastels.

Mo.
11-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Hi Gubster, I'm an oil pastellist and really fixatives are not needed on this medium, the use of them can ruin oil pastel paintings.

can anyone give me an idea how to keep the oil in OP, from migrating into a matt?

I've never had this happen to me...do you leave a margin around your work to allow for matting?

Also as E-J has suggested check out the Oil pastel Sticky in the sub-Forum Library Q & A.

Mo.:)

Dyin
11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi...hate to keep crowing about Holbeins, but they don't seem to leach oil out onto the back of the support like the other brands...although I haven't yet seen any leaching onto mats with any of the quality brands. As to the Sennelier fixative...I tried it and could not get a fine spray and it actually disolved little bits of the OP...was not happy.

Gubster Bug
11-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input!
Mo, I have left margins, but sometimes the effect isn't what I need. I've also coated the reverse side of the matt with acylic medium-- thinly and not a very wide area-- but it's been risky.

Gubster Bug