PDA

View Full Version : Autumn light, pollarded willow - demo

vhere
09-23-2017, 03:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2017/53888-pollarded_willows_demo_at_whissendiine.jpg

So - today I was teaching a workshop for a pastel group on using ink or coffee for underpainting (drawing with twigs) and then finishing in pastel.

I took a frame that would fit and this was what happened to the coffee underpainting I showed in my September thread,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2017/53888-pollarded_willow_underpainting_in_coffee.jpg

I don't do start to finish stand up demos where everyone just watches - I think it's more use for students to do their own. I showed how I started (on another image) and then where I went next with this one and then continued working as they did, They could constantly see how it developed.

I may tweak it just a little - I'll see in a few days how I feel

coffee underpainting, soft pastel, on UArt 400 sanded paper 9 x11 approx

From my own photo. I don't usually work from photos but for this demo I did. I did sketch that day, as well as taking a whole series of photos as the late afternoon light was a wonderful warm amber, lighting up the willows nand undergrowth.

vhere
09-23-2017, 03:43 PM
and a second demo from today - where I did the drawing underneath in ink to show how I started, then when I finished the one above it was dry and I carried on in pastel.

Again it's UArt 9x 12 ins.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2017/53888-bradgate_roks_and_tree_demo_at_whissendine.jpg

Needs a bit more work but I was pleased with how much I got done along with teaching. It was another autumn day with glorious warm light touching everything

eyepaint
09-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Oooh that first one seems so juicy!!

It's also inspiring to your students to see you working alongside them.

vhere
09-24-2017, 03:52 AM
thanks EP :) I always think alongside is more constructive for their learning than just a demo where they just watch and can't retain all the info.

eyepaint
09-24-2017, 12:01 PM
... and I think it's inspiring for the students to watch an artist in action ... her decisions on what to do, when... all while not being in the spotlight any longer ...

Munin Raven
09-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Yowzer! :eek: You took one of my favourite sketches of yours and turned it into something absolutely grand. I get the feeling it would scratch my arm if I walked past it. :clap:

Very nice second demo too.

vhere
09-24-2017, 01:39 PM
:lol: :heart: thank you! I always try to get the feeling of the place/texture etc in whilst scribbling merrily and not working too tight - sometimes it works better than others :cat:

Joan T
09-24-2017, 09:49 PM
I think that is a great way for the students to see your process and how the piece changes with different media added.

Munin Raven
09-30-2017, 01:41 PM
scribbling merrily...

Now there's a phrase worth quoting! :music:

vhere
10-01-2017, 06:44 AM
:)

provenceaquarelle
10-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Now there's a phrase worth quoting! :music:

or an expression to become :)
Enregistrer