PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Mask Company

kcwhitney
09-13-2017, 10:53 AM
I found this mask from the British Cambridge Mask Company on the web that looks quite interesting.

The design uses the whole mask as the filter, and the black valve is to exhale. It is washable. Anyone have any experience with them? Mine arrives tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Mask-Company-Respirator-Adjustable/dp/B071178VDW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1505310458&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Cambridge+Mask+Company&psc=1

water girl
09-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Have you thought about the Totobobo mask (https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Pollution-Mask-Totobobo-Large/dp/B00UB0R85O)? It's very comfortable.

contumacious
09-13-2017, 07:39 PM
I really don't like wearing a mask while I am painting but if that is the only option, I much prefer a mask with a valve in it for venting the exhaled air. I do not like wearing any mask that has only ear straps on it for more than a few minutes. You may have to try a few different offerings before you find one that is comfortable and works for you.

DAK723
09-13-2017, 09:19 PM
I am certainly not an expert on these matters, but it has always been my understanding that all you need for pastels is a dust mask if you are concerned about pastel dust inhalation - not anything as heavy duty as the one you linked too. An N95 mask such as the one I mentioned in your other thread should be plenty. The Totobobo mask is another good option. Of course, I don't know your medical situation or concerns either.

Don

kcwhitney
09-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Don. I am just moving from the lurking position, to doing it (AFDI). I had read about the dust, but it was more significant than I expected. I also found myself coughing and hacking for quite a while after the last two sessions I put in. So, I began to check out options, and posted here to get other's experiences.

I think I am going to follow your advice, and start with this mask and your dust catcher arrangement. All the purifiers are more than I want to put out right now. I'll wait a while to see if one is really necessary.

kcwhitney
09-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Update:
This Cambridge mask is working out pretty well. It does have the cloth loops to go around the ears, which I thought I would hate, but don't. I can work comfortably and forget it is there for the most part. My glasses don't fog up. Most importantly, I don't cough, while working. I did, when I took it off.

I may want a purifier after all. We'll see.

contumacious
09-25-2017, 01:27 PM
kcwhitney - thanks for the report on that mask. I am glad to hear it has helped.

My guess is that for those who are extremely sensitive to pastel dust a combination of a dust mask and an easel mounted dust collection system would give the ultimate protection.

kcwhitney
01-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Just an update. I have found Don's recommendation to be a good one. These Cambridge masks work, but are really overkill. Its like putting on an overcoat. The N95 mask Don recommended is very good, but I am finding that the light weight mask I snitched from my doctor's office is plenty. It does the job and is very unobtrusive.