PDA

View Full Version : second oil pastel

Alachua Artist
11-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Ok gang... you were so supportive, I did a second oil pastel. These are really fun. Again, details are the issue I'm having. Please give me suggestions how or what to bring out in this painting.

(the photo isn't the best at all)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2003/21231-gold_final.jpg

"Santo Domingo Gold" 9"x12" oil pastel
These are the mesas in New Mexico on the highway from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. The reservations are located on some of the most severe and severely beautiful areas in the dessert.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi Wendy: You are painting my favorite part of the country.

What I am seeing are very dark mesas - are they very black in your painting?? Uploads on WC tend to be dark, so if you want more detail to show up you might want to lighten your scan/digital picture.

Looks like you are taking to OP's in a big way. Hope you keep posting your work!

christmascarolnz
11-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Wendy. ummm forgive my ignorance, but I am not in the States... what is a mesas? And the reservations....are they where the American Indians live? Please educate me.
I'm afraid my op's are having an extended vacation. Good on you for using them.
I don't understand what the dark is or represents in your painting. Do you have a lighter version?
Cheers,
Carol

sisangel
11-03-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi Wendy,

This looks great. Perfect road side view. Wish I was there again.. The mesas did come out dark., perhaps the scan.

I did my first oil pastel last week. I think it will take me about 20 or so tries before I have the guts to post them.

What kind of paper did you use for this one?

Keep up the great work and looking for to seeing your next one.

Bonnie

Rosic
11-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Evokes the feeling that "I wish I was there"! Did you do this from a photo you took or en plein aire?
Rosic

Lilygirl
11-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I love the Southwest and this is a lovely painting. Those cracks and creases give it an old world look. Beautiufl! Lily

Alachua Artist
11-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Ok.. I lightened the image in photoshop so you could see the colors a bit better. The mesas were quite dark - it had just rained in the dessert, so all the colors were vibrant. It's such a severe beauty, my husband and I bought 25 acres out there!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2003/21231-gold_final.jpg

Rosic: I did this from memory. This is one of what I call the motorcycle series. I ride all over the country, and paint scenes from places that I just simply cannot forget. I like the idea of en plein aire, but the heat there is so intense, I'm afraid my oil pastels will become paints!

Sisangel: Be brave! Post your work so we all can learn. This is done on Strathmore pastel paper. I want to try several other supports, like sandpaper. I like to experiment. It's part of the learning process.

Christmascarolnz: Mesa meant table in Spanish. The flat-topped mountains look like a tabletop out in the American West. And yes, the reservations are where the indians live. Not by choice, I must add. My husband is a Seminole Indian (Florida) and my name, Alachua, means green hills in the Seminole laguage.

Thank you all for your comments!

Kathryn Wilson
11-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Hi Wendy: Glad you got to lighten this up - now we can see those beautiful desert colors. Painting from memory can be kind of tricky - but you've the feel of the place.

One of our professional artists who posts quite a bit is from that area - dee_artist. You might take a look at all her yummy posts.

Looking forward to seeing more of your southwest paintings!