PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca's (artdragon86) Art Journal Shenanigans

artdragon86
09-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Hi all,
Sketching is something I've always wanted to do but have struggled with because of two things:
-my brain's obsession with making everything perfectly realistic
-my lack of skills to actually pull this off

The other day I found a Moleskine journal I'd purchased at some point so I decided I had no excuse not to at least try to do some sketches. So I got out my pencils and ink pens and after making junk on the first few pages I wasn't happy with, I produced a 'proper' sketch of a nice little area on campus at my university. I used Rembrandt watercolours to colour it in and Sakura Pigma pens of various sizes to ink it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2017/979335-Monash_Forest_Bridge_WC_sketch.jpg

(Edited: uploaded new photo taken in better lighting)

I also ordered a copy of The Urban Sketcher from Book Depository so I'm looking forward to sketching more often :clap:

eyepaint
09-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Woo hoo! Always enjoy shenanigans :) Well done on taking the leap to work on your art! Love it!

provenceaquarelle
09-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Congratulations, Rebecca! You did it. :clap:
I have exactly the same struggles you do, and I am learning to let my hand go. I confess it is an agreable sensation.
I can see you enjoyed doing your sketch.
Waiting to see more.:)

Scene Chaser
09-05-2017, 09:14 PM
A great start, Rebecca. I really like your drawing/sketch. Only a lot of practice will get you where you want to be. Don't insist on perfection or realism. It really isn't great art, anyway. Just be yourself and keep drawing no matter what. No matter what you think of it or of what anyone else thinks of it. Just keep drawing!
Bill

artdragon86
09-06-2017, 12:26 AM
Thanks all :wave: I'd like to go out and do more plein air sketching but winter has just ended here and it's still cold and wet outside most of the time, so I'm making do with sketching from photos (some my own, some from friends). My next sketch is of my friends' two cats:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2017/979335-image.jpg

After finishing it I realised I should have made the tortoiseshell cat smaller or the fluffy one bigger because the tortoiseshell one looks massive even though it's further back and they're about the same size in real life. Ah well.

eyepaint
09-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Awww kitties :)

hobbyartist87
09-12-2017, 02:06 AM
Great start to a sketchbook thread and habit Rebecca.

Joan T
09-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Nice start to the sketchbook. Great job on the cats and that colorful landscape.

artdragon86
09-14-2017, 11:36 PM
This week's sketch is based on a photo one of my friends took. The original was just grey but I liked the misty, peaceful quality of it, so I made my version more purple.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2017/979335-image.jpg

Also, my copy of the Urban Sketcher arrived yesterday and I've been having a flick through it. I love the seemingly loose nature of the ink lines and I want to attempt the same style in my ink and wash drawings, but when I do it, it just looks like indecisive scribble...

bgviper
09-15-2017, 05:20 AM
that landscape has a nice quite mood to it! i like !

provenceaquarelle
09-15-2017, 05:28 AM
I very much like this landscape.

Rebecca, I am looking forward for your next sketches. It seems your anguishes have been calmed off.

I love The Urban Sketcher. Everytime I look into it I feel like sketching, and travelling.

Munin Raven
09-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Lovely evocative landscape. The cool of the purple really adds to the tranquillity.

eyepaint
09-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Oooh that is so moody!

Scene Chaser
09-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Love the cats and the rural scene. Keep on sketching. You could also sketch items in your house where it's warm and cozy.
Bill