PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble Nov 3rd

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Apparently, according to my husband, the reason it is so d*mned cold up here so early in the season is because while the rest of the country deals with the ElNino Effect, we are getting the Albino Effect- which turns everything frosty white. It is seriously cold out for here- my fish pond has ice on it- despite having a pump and moving water.

Otherwise, it's Monday, and I'm going to finish up the two studies I've worked on this weekend, then use them to put together the big piece I've in mind. As I get tired of that, I'll work on the still life for DS's project- it's a goody.

And for grins- anyone who wants to see just exactly what a "cackling old hen" looks like, don't hesitate to ask for reference pics- surprisingly, it won't be feathers which catch the eye....:D :D :D :D :D

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 02:50 PM
well Ive been too busy, squawking and cackling elsewhere :D ..... Would much prefer to be refered to as a Spring Chicken.... but I suppose Im passed my Sell By Date By now :crying: :D :evil:
... well he sure did ruffle my feathers

bwwwahhhhhaaa ... silly ol codger :D

.... well I got my new delivery of Rembrandts in the post this afternoon..... so have been practising with them :p ... ewww ..... I knew I should of plumpted for the portrait set rather than landscape :rolleyes:

better make the most of my day off..... got so many projects to do now..... thanks ha ha agggghhhhhh ok..... Im off back to the Battery Farm tomorrow

Mikki Petersen
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
We live in El Nino country and we are very cold right now. I love your husband's term "albino" effect. It's so apt!

I've put aside my Tetons painting for now to cool and am working on my entry for Dawn's project. So far I have about 8 hours into it and still have a long way to go and it's only 11x14! I have to keep resting my eyes because there are so many petty details.

Dawn, you have plenty of portrait colors. Good on you for investing in a landscape set! That shows real commitment to rounding out your repertoire.

Have a great day, evening, night, whatever...I'm back to the easel.

Mary Robinson
11-03-2003, 04:48 PM
I've been surfing the web, looking for colorcharts so I can order the pastels that I'm going to need. I posted the information in another thread. They also have the Glassine Translucent Paper
you were looking for SBJ, and it's not very expensive, different sizes also, shipping is also reasonable...:D Yes, I placed an order. I'm going to try out some holbein, some townsend and I also reordered some unison and sennilier pastels that I was running low on. I can't seem to paint as fast as all of you, my pieces always seem to take at least a week or 3 to complete. As for you Dark, at least when you are grousing with us other hens in the barnyard, you aren't having to remove your foot from your mouth ;).

Mary

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 05:50 PM
LOLOL Aka...... hee hee..... well, its just as well you dont know we too well...... Im always walking around with my foot in my mouth ha ha ha.... or should I say stumbling..... I was down at my parents house only yesterday..... when we were discussing my son who is over 6'-2", and my mum was saying he takes after my hubbie...... which I promptly said.... nooo way.... that little short ar*e (in a loving way of course :D) ..... who should walk in the door at that Split second !!!! ....... nope not my hubbie!!! .... but my son's girlfriend ...... WHO IS!!! bbbbwaahhhhaaaaa!!! :o :D :evil: ..... so of course I was trying to explain that I wasnt talking about her, but about my hubbie.... so when in a hole..... STOP DIGGING! :o

...... :rolleyes: :eek: I sure hope everyone here is over 3'

........ mumbles........ quit while ya ahead Dark :o :D

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
*hands DS a bigger shovel....*

Okay, well I'm working on shadowed skin in *purples* of all things (just don't ask or I'll start singing DiscoDuck) and this better work or she's getting a backhoe next time. (bwaa-hahahaha!) I *LOVE* the start on the truck, DS, and Morgie, you put up some nice references- are you going for one of those? I've the comp for my "transportation" piece well in mind- it's a twisted world I live in, lemme tell ya.

Made a big pot of bean soup late last week which we ate with various tidbits for three days now, threw the last out this morning. Now I'm looking at dead, naked chicken and wishing I still had soup to fall back on. The bad thing about living out in the sticks is there is no delivery- and DiGornio ain't that good, trust me. More Albino Effect tonight, they say, so I'm pressing my rice bag into service as a feets warmer.

lol @ "Sell by date"... Maybelline, careful lighting and a nice soft focus, DS, honest- works everytime....

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
I've got about 2 yards of glassine left, Morgie- but I'm wanting more Translucent vellum- and hey- did that other stuff work, or not? You've not said. S'pose I should run into town sometime early this week and pick up the colour shapers- 'course, if I sent Hubby I'd not have to spank my own hands for picking other stuff up.

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
lolol SBJ..... no worries..... I always have a JCB on standby :)

Dick Blick sells Glassine....... also has colour charts too
ha ha ha.... SBJ..... I use Maybelline hee hee.... Aqua Lash.... always good for when Im either crying about Greens or .... shouting...... gemme outta this hole
:D ...... hey you using that chicken as skin reference ha ha ha... thas always a nice purplish colour

.... shucks I dont have soft lighting...... will just have to renew the paper bag over my head .... wahhhhh
:music: ..... D ...... I ...... S ...... C..... O..... :music:
....... :music: D..... I ...... S..... C...... O :music:

Mo.
11-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Im off back to the Battery Farm tomorrow

Don't forget your knitting needles.:D:evil::D:angel:

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Sorry to rub it in to all those who are cold - but we are having the best fall weather in a long time.

Actually went to the beach yesterday and tried to do a plein aire - hahahahah - how do you tell a wave to "freeze" while you are trying to get the shape and color into a painting. NOT!!! Will post my effort into the weekly sketch thread. Got a wonderful photograph of my Jack Russell Terrier in the surf chasing his ball.

The mail lady delivered my Issues 1-5 of the now defunct International Pastel Artist magazine. I had all the other issues so I got onto Ebay and found these. So now I have a full set - for those of you who missed out on this magazine, if you ever get a chance to buy some issues do so. They are invaluable for ideas, techniques and wonderful, wonderful pastel paintings from all over the world.

From one ol' hen to the rest of the flock - :D

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Well the Old Rooster is back in the forum and the thread again
..... will shove he's cockadoodle right down he's throat in a minute :D :evil:

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Too late- I already did. Mea culpa- but, then, this isn't the week I see my reflection in the mirror, anyway.

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 08:12 PM
ha ha ha...... could be worse...........

you could see ....... He's

Bwwwaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaa :D

sundiver
11-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Ok, I think I'm missing something here. Old hen? Shove his cockadoodle? Maybe it's best not to know.......
Had to scrape the morning dew off the windshield this morning, first time this fall but right on schedule.
Woke up at 4:30 this morning, have been working till now (9p.m.)and am tired and grumpy. So if someone needs a scolding, just lemme at 'im!

NJGuy
11-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Hi J! I somehow found my way here! IF I can only remember HOW I did this! :-) With limited time for painting, I have nothing to post here except my thanks for opening my eyes. Hopefully, with each attempt in finding my way here, I'll get better at it and be able to share some work with all of you.
ciao for now!
Nj

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Bookmark the homepage, Doug. Open to it from the link I sent, click "Favorites" up top, then click "Add". Ta-da!! When you open to the site, click up top for "Forums" then scroll on through till you find the one you want. It's just that easy.

There's also a chat (link's in the same row as "Forums") and at the bottom of every post are some handy little buttons for interaction as you wish. You're gonna like it here, trust me.

Ladies? Be nice to NJGuy- he is an exceptionally nice gentleman; a bit of a smooth talker sometimes, but sincere. :D :D :D
Try not to scare this one off - hahahahaha!!!

calowa
11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Welcome NJ Guy---I am also fairly new to this site also--keep trying--you will find your way back. I keep stumbling onto something new and wonderous every time I look around. ;)

calowa
11-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Welcome NJ Guy---I am also fairly new to this site also--keep trying--you will find your way back. I keep stumbling onto something new and wonderous every time I look around. ;)

NJGuy
11-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Ha J! Damn...you know me TOO well! :-) I'll continue to come back here now that I know you haven't changed a bit either! :-)

Thanks to you too Calowa. :-)

Nj

SweetBabyJ
11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Just wait'll you see what I do for DarkShades "Transportation" project, NJ. Hint: You've seen 'em before.... hahahaha!!

Mary Robinson
11-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Yes, I'm doing the shipwreck for the transportation project. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff including the vellum from Dick Blick and some townsend pastels from fineartstore. I'm waiting for those to come in before I can start painting again, I went through a whole lot of blue in the last one <g>. And I don't want to have to order more in the middle. As for your project, SBJ, I'm stuck, there isn't anything I haven't tried in one medium or another. I've done everything from still life to people to florals to landscapes to seascapes. So give me a few ideas :confused:

Mary

E-J
11-04-2003, 03:59 AM
*Cluck cluck*

Mary Robinson
11-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Great Idea, EJ!!!!

I've never done a rooster, so a rooster it is :D

Mary

nougat
11-04-2003, 07:30 AM
Hello all!!!:D I'm back:D my pc suffered a mega crash and it's only recovered today!!!!

missed you all and hope you're all well!

nadine

Dark_Shades
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
I was typing out thissssssssssssssssss HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE response last night...... am not going to name who to :evil: :D as its a secret ha ha ha

..... and my dang computer switched off..... and wont work..... and wont work this morning either...... wahhhhhhhhhh

.. sooo whats a girl to do :( ......... use works one ... wooo hooooo

Hi NJ.... nice to meet you :) or you two related :D

NJGuy
11-04-2003, 09:28 AM
SBJ, transportation project, eh? Wow, I can see how this site can motivate one to get into all sorts of projects! Unfortunately, I am going to be scarce for the next two weeks or so. My oldest daughter is getting married on Saturday and family will be staying with us. Visiting relatives, like fish...start to stink after three days, yanno? :-) Unfortunately, I won't have too much time to visit this site nor do any painting. I will, however, try to check this board and peruse your work....something Ive always admired. :-) (Oops...trying to stay away from that smooth talkin' mode) heheeee
ALthough I don't work in pastels, I'm going to try to attach a watercolor that I did. It's a COPY of Winslow Homer's "Blue Boat" which I found quite enjoyable to do. Critique as you wish. :-)

Dark Shades...nice to meet you too! "....I've never done a rooster...." Is it me, or is this board loaded with double entendres? Ha!

I do hope to be back soon!
nj

SweetBabyJ
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
We specialize in single-entendres, and we're proud of it!

I see you're getting bold in your use of colour, Doug- no more dithering with a wet, loaded brush it looks like- good for you! I still like the one you did of the fly-fisherman, and thanks for the pic of Tahoe- that's such gorgeous country. And *retired* now- my my my- why, now you'll have time to bug the wheeeee outa MrsNJG hahaha!

Transportation is the November project- click up top where it says "projects", then scroll down and find "upload project photos" on the left, and load this nice boat one there (well, sign up for it first, maybe, for the look of the thing) and you'll be well on your way to a nice, fat portfolio. *Most* projects aren't prejudiced to any specific medium- browse through 'em and pick what catches your eye. It's all about learning.

(oh, and HINT!!! see underneath the response box where it has those little check-boxes? UNCLICK the one for "Email notification" when you post- or else your mail box will be full of notifications every hour or so. There may be some other place to do this permanently, like a "preferences" page, but if so, someone'll hafta tell me first, 'cause I've not seen it yet).

SweetBabyJ
11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
lol @ Mary and EJ

I hope that rooster has a really big comb....

NJGuy
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks for your tips, J. The learning curve is still rather steep for me here, but with each post, comment and suggestion, I'll get there sooner or later. :-)

Dark_Shades? J and I related? Ohh nooo...she has MUCH better "jeans", haven't you noticed? :-)

Nj

Dark_Shades
11-04-2003, 05:38 PM
lol NJ....... hadnt noticed her wearing any of late :D
....... shame that painting isnt in pastels...... would of looked really nice in the project...... you sure you havent got time right now to whip one up lol ..... but hey, the projects open for a Month :)

Dark_Shades
11-04-2003, 05:39 PM
*waves at Nougat..........

glad to see you back..... hope you have been busy pastelling seeing as your comp was sick

nougat
11-05-2003, 05:04 AM
sorry.....my pastels have been having a rest:( but seeing all your super work is making my fingers itch to sketch.....its great to be back!!

nadine:D