PDA

View Full Version : Quickie for me

crumbedbrains
11-03-2003, 08:20 AM
G'day all,
This started out as a practice piece coz I've been so frustrated with the almost impossible task of trying to find paper in a tone I want . . . that is, I often seem to need very dark green backgrounds and the papers (such as Canson) all have these wishy-washy colours that need re-doing. So, instead of doing a watercolour underpainting (which, to me, never seem opaque enough) this is done with an ink underpainting (a mixture of sap green and the ol' black indian ink). Then, on top of that I softly blended some pink and lighter greens to create a mottled background.

The bird was then done as I normally paint with the stump being "extremely" painterly for me. Normally a painting takes me many hours over the course of a month . .this only took two nights . .I'd say about 6hrs in all. Fairly pleased with the outcome given the time it took.

As always, the colours aren't quite right . .might try and get a better pic in the daylight. All comments and critiques welcome.
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2003/10882-Robin_002WC.jpg

Dark_Shades
11-03-2003, 08:53 AM
OMG!.... OMG!..... noooo this must be an imposter...... now the 'REAL' Crumbie, would never, could ever do a quickie :evil: :D

..... sooooo ok....... ya did it again........ wheres the darn painting you want us to look at :D ........ so ok, while await you to upload the painting ;) ..... I will comment on the photo... hee hee......

what size is this? ..... have you thought about buying those primers?

...... Crumbie..... IF this IS your painting......... you have GOT to do MOREEEEEEEEE quickies..... this is fantastic...... and to be TOTALLY honest (which I always am)
........ for me
.... this is YOUR BEST TO DATE !!!!!

:clap:

..... Just so you dont get a too bigger head lol .... perhaps maybe just nip off some of the plain dark on the right :D

.... other than that..... leave it alone....... its perfect...... beautiful..... endearing..... love it

..... cant wait to see the real painting though ha ha ha

Craig Houghton
11-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I agree, this is stunning. Do you have a close-up of that stump? And, what size is this?

Seriously, this is incredible, and that background technique worked great!!

Many thanks,
Craig

bnoonan
11-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Ok - what's a quickie in your terms Gaka? I agree with Dawn - I thought for sure this was the photograph reference.

You are superb in your photorealism and if you are looking for permission to go forth and do quick paintings, you have my support 100%

Barb:clap: :clap: :clap:

marilyn h
11-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Okay, where's the painting?

I am always so awed by your perfection. Such glorious work.

Mikki Petersen
11-03-2003, 10:52 AM
AAAAAAAAAAmazing! I love your background technique. What kind of paper? Watercolor? Thank you for describing the way you did the background. I love the bird and the stump is gorgeous...and I'm running out of adjectives.

Mo.
11-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Okay I've been sat here looking and savouring this absolutely astounding work for at least 5 mins, It's exquisite Sir!....I'm gobsmacked, speechless.

That tree stump, ...please let us see a closer view.
BRILLIANT WORK

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.:)

Nuno
11-03-2003, 01:20 PM
This is just AMAZING

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luvy
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
I always wondered if Crumbled did quickies Now we all know *S* Boy what he can do with a quickie LOL Beautiful work as usual *S* :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think he's cheating and this is his reference photo LOL

christmascarolnz
11-03-2003, 03:00 PM
cor blimey mate! That's a real corker!
Carol :D

crumbedbrains
11-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the supportive comments guys!

ROFLMAO . . . Dawn . .you crack me up . . . Ok, yeah though about those pastel primers but they're too sandy for my liking . . I've tried to keep the tooth of my favourite paper (Stonehenge) by using the ink. I agree with the dark patch to the right but in real life it's more greenish . .as I said colours are a bit funny in the photo.

Craig and Mo: OK this is almost embarrassing for someone who does not paint loosely! LOL but here's your close up . . . . looks disgusting to me here . . . but looking at the painting in real life I'm still happy with it.

Impete: Stonehenge paper . no not watercolour . but INK. BTW I should've said before that the pink and lighter green colours in the background were done with pastel blended into the ink underpainting.

BTW I shoulda mentioned this is actually an African bird called the Eastern Yellow Robin. The size of the painting? . .er dunno but the bird is about the size of a duck egg.

EEEEEEEK just looking at the close-up again . . looks horrible!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH I can't stand someting this loose!!!!!!!LOL

Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2003/10882-Robin_007WC.jpg

blissfullyunaware
11-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Oh my.... had to type something, even if it takes me all day left handed hit and peck!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If could only be so "loose"... your detail is beautiful ... thanks so much for sharing this... THIS IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING (did I say that before...???)

~~~~ Sharon

JustjoGA
11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Well done, Crumby.... your usual excellent work....

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Awestruck.

If that's "loose", I'm even more dumbfounded. Amazing work.

Mo.
11-03-2003, 06:14 PM
EEEEEEEK just looking at the close-up again . . looks horrible!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH I can't stand someting this loose!!!!!!!LOL

Oooh yes it's Oribble :D.... Come on Sir Crumb... it's bl**** gorgeous!!
Well done you I love the new 'looser' style..... did you enjoy painting this one?.. What I mean is you called this one a quicky, did you find it was more enjoyable to do, sort of freed you up a bit ? Why can't you stand it?.... you are joking surely?

It's so darn beautiful

Mo.:)

sundiver
11-03-2003, 08:09 PM
:( Everyone's already used all the good words.
Outstanding? Has that been used?
This is outstanding!
(...and, I got this off Lenny Loosejocks video game and think it means good..) Ripper, mate!

calowa
11-03-2003, 09:48 PM

Absolutely stunningly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
11-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks all for the kind comments

LOL Sharon . . . peck away girl!! LOL

Mo: . .kinda enjoyed it in a funny way . . never having painted anything that quick before it was kinda over before it started . . I'm used to going through a love hate relationship over the course of a month or so with my paintings . . . 'y'know, that excitable "I'm gonna start phase" drifting to the long "ugly" phases through to the "geeez I'm never gonna get this finished" phase and finally the "somebody shoot me" phase. . . . . now all I got is this empty easel LOL!!!!

OK for prosperity sake . .I got a clear daylight pic which is more "true-to-colour"
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2003/10882-ROBIN_AWC.jpg

Lilygirl
11-04-2003, 08:49 AM
I love this painting. I'm a birder and I know when pictures of birds are "right" and believe me, this is so right. That's a lovely little bird, African Yellow Robin!
The stump is so perfect I am amazed. Lily

christmascarolnz
11-04-2003, 02:42 PM
kinda over before it started . . I'm used to going through a love hate relationship over the course of a month or so with my paintings . . . 'y'know, that excitable "I'm gonna start phase" drifting to the long "ugly" phases through to the "geeez I'm never gonna get this finished" phase and finally the "somebody shoot me" phase. . . . . now all I got is this empty easel LOL!!!!

ROFLOL What a great description! I know exactly what you mean. Interesting how the 'ugly' phrase and the 'never gonna get it finished' seem the longest time, and that the 'somebody shoot me' is on the very tip before turning toward the home run.
Carol