PDA

View Full Version : Pricing question

Amhahn
08-21-2017, 01:19 AM
Hello, I don't know really where to post this question. If it is in the wrong area, please feel free to redirect me. I work mainly with pastels, so I thought I would try here. I have been asked to do my first commission piece on two dogs. That is not the hard part for me, I feel confident in my abilities especially with animals. What I need some help with is pricing, and do I give the owner the original? My gut tells me the original goes to the buyer. With pricing do I go with my normal price for an original painting? Or a little more? I would greatly appreciate your help.

water girl
08-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Congratulations! That is good news. Since this is your first time, yes, I would charge your usual price. That will give you a base line for your next commission. Also, think about how you will transfer the painting to them. If that is the case, come back for suggestions. I assuming the "original" is your painting. They get the painting, but I believe you retain the rights to the image and can make prints.

contumacious
08-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Whatever you decide to do as far as pricing goes, who owns the copyright, who owns the original, deposits, approval stages, reproduction rights, etc., write it ALL down and get a signature on the contract so there won't be any doubt later as to how it is supposed to play out. If they are a relative or good friend, the contract is even more important in my opinion.

Most artists will charge more for a commissioned piece than something they painted to offer for sale to the public but it doesn't have to be that way.

A Google of Art Commission Contract (https://www.google.com/search?q=art+commission+contract&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwi7K33ejVAhXJCcAKHcqwADoQvwUIJSgA&biw=1440&bih=656) would be advisable.

These two from that search look to be simple but cover the main aspects. You would of course modify them to fit your needs.

https://www.printablecontracts.com/Art_Commission_Contract.php

http://www.borsheimarts.com/contract.htm

It is totally up to you two as to whether you give the buyer the original or a print. Logically the price would be significantly lower for a print. For most commissioned pieces the patron receives the original painting but the artist retains the copyright. I am doing a commission right now where the patron can't afford to pay for the original but really wants a painting of their chosen subject matter, so I am going to keep the original to sell myself and will provide them with a high quality print at a fraction of the cost of the original. This probably wouldn't work for you if their chosen subject matter is not something that would have a good chance of selling to someone else besides them - but you never know who might like a painting of someone else's kid, mom, house, horse, car or cat!

Amhahn
08-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Thank you water girl and contumacious for your advice. I greatly appreciate it and taking the time to answer my question. I didn't even think about a contract! Perfect.

contumacious
08-21-2017, 05:05 PM
You are welcome. I hope the whole process goes smoothly and you both end up happy with how it works out.

Moises Menendez
08-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Are you asking how much money would you charge?