PDA

View Full Version : Hello Lads

Dcam
08-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Have any of you seen the new film Dunkirk ?
I thought it was quite good. My dad was with the KOSB, was there and rescued. He then went on to Normandy and also survived that .
The dog fights in this are amazing and I forgot that the Spitfire could actually glide. My goodness.
Cheers mates, Derek

Shamrock15
08-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info Derek. This is on my list to see, shortly! Maybe tomorrow even. Cool info about your connection to it.

Trumper
08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it but i tried not to look at it through the eyes of an aircraft enthusiast ,you will always allow details to get in the way. The film was made for the general public to give an insight to a piece of history and for me it worked.
There were a few things that made me wish they had done better [mostly aircraft stuff LOL), but it was really worth seeing it on i max as well.

shadwell
08-07-2017, 01:42 AM
all aircraft can glide , it's just some do it better downwards than others , a 747 will glide it will just lose altitude faster than say a piper cub for comparison

budigart
08-07-2017, 08:43 AM
I worked for Beach Aircraft public relations, and as a pilot, the first thing I did was learn the glide ratio of each aircraft I flew . . . how far forward it would glide for every thousand feet of altitude. If you're 10,000 feet above ground level and have a 1:10 glide ratio, you can glide almost 19 miles before you're on the ground . . . important to know if you're over water when the engine quits.

BTW, I was turned off by the movie's title . . . they don't know how to spell Dunkerque.

shadwell
08-09-2017, 01:20 AM
BTW, I was turned off by the movie's title . . . they don't know how to spell Dunkerque.

for that you need to understand british French relations etc .. Dunkirk is the correct british spelling Dunkerque the French much the same as Britain calls it the English channel and the French just call it the channel

Chas McHugh
08-09-2017, 01:52 AM
I don't know why cities have different names according to language spoken. The extreme example is Köln is Germany which is Cologne in English and pronounced quite differently, or Munich v Munchen.

Even countries: France v Francais v Frankreich
Nederland v Netherlands
Deutschland v Germany
United Kingdom v Allemagne

Some of the Brittany coastal towns may well be due to British occupation in centuries gone by. Interesting..