PDA

View Full Version : Gearing Up

artelahe
08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Some paintings can be fixed, others need to be reborn. This rebirth is the coming together two things: Being urged to enter the original in a juried show, and not being happy with the original. This is what evolved. The gesture is the same. Some (or at least one) of the old issues have been resolved. It is too late to fix anything (in this one) because the painting has been uploaded for potential selection. Will you still C&C, please?

Re the competition: I also entered First Blush of Morning (originally posted here on 7-23-17). I have hopes but no expectations as I see issues in both. Still, fingers crossed :)!

water girl
08-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Please don't stress. They are both wonderful paintings. Once you have submitted your work (your heart and soul, really), it is entirely up to the juror which painting gets in or receives an award. It depends on the juror's preferences and what they see on a particular day. We've all had paintings not make it into a show, then that same painting could win an award in the next show. Go for it! Best wishes!!!

artelahe
08-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks you, Karen. Only another 25 days to wait until I know if I made the initial cut.

pprender
08-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Hi Aly. If you do decide to do this again - although it's wonderful as is - my suggestion would be to simplify the background into a subtle gradation from the light blue on the left to the dark blue on the right. I think that would make the figure pop more than the light green does.
I love how you handled the roll of his belly. I'd be tempted to try a tiny bit of a lighter blue on top to see if that makes it roll even more.
Good luck on the competitions.

artelahe
08-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Hi Aly. If you do decide to do this again - although it's wonderful as is - my suggestion would be to simplify the background into a subtle gradation from the light blue on the left to the dark blue on the right. I think that would make the figure pop more than the light green does.
I love how you handled the roll of his belly. I'd be tempted to try a tiny bit of a lighter blue on top to see if that makes it roll even more.
Good luck on the competitions.

Thanks, Patricia! I'm not sure why I went with the shaft of light, but it was always in my mind to do. In a way I wanted it to both emphasize the light and de-emphasize the figure so that the figure combined with the light could be interpreted a couple of different ways. Not sure that makes sense. I will consider the gradation of color for another painting, though. It is an excellent idea- thank you! I do get what you mean about the belly highlight :)

Donna T
08-03-2017, 08:34 AM
I like what you've done with this version, Aly! It's still a man with yellow boots but you've emphasized his gesture and amplified the lighting. I like the changes to the bench too. Best of luck with the show but like Karen said, remember that the jurying process is so subjective. If you get in - great! If you don't - it's still a good painting and there will be other shows for you to enter. Keep us posted and I'm hoping for the best!

artelahe
08-03-2017, 01:48 PM
I like what you've done with this version, Aly! It's still a man with yellow boots but you've emphasized his gesture and amplified the lighting. I like the changes to the bench too. Best of luck with the show but like Karen said, remember that the jurying process is so subjective. If you get in - great! If you don't - it's still a good painting and there will be other shows for you to enter. Keep us posted and I'm hoping for the best!

Thank you, Donna. Both Karen's insight and your reminder
of how the subjective jurying process works give me a sense of relief. "Relief" may be too strong a word but I definitely feel some stress reduction ;). It really helps to have this kind of input. I really appreciate it.

Thank again!