PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble August 2017

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the Scumble, where we share our everyday lives, concerns and art related endeavors. Come have a chat! :wave:

Here's a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430109

CM Neidhofer
08-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Wow..it's been quiet around here this month!

I finally, finally, got the first impressions done for my dentures. Last of the teeth came out in January. Numerous delays, from dentist and wife having a baby, a small surgery to remove some protruding bone from my jaw, dentist leaving for his own practice, April snowstorm which shut down the office for three days, to dentist who was supposed to replace never showed, as well as second dentist! Now there's finally a new dentist and I had an appointment last Friday. Now it's an ongoing process of every two weeks to make sure everything fits well. In approximately four to six weeks, I should have my permanent set of dentures. What an ordeal!!! But well worth it in the long run.

water girl
08-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Christine! I was feeling sorry for myself because I had a root canal last week. You have been on a journey, and hopefully you are at the end of it and will be smiling again. Yes, summer is slow.

robertsloan2
08-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Christine! good luck with your permanent dentures fitting well. I shudder at the thought, because I'll wind up needing some soon. Haven't been to dentist yet. Haven't dared but will have to at some point.

Life's going well if not much time online or doing art. Involvement with the SCA has given me some great days, went to an event a week ago and had a wonderful time. Taught my Celtic Knotwork in an Hour class, went to a vegetable dyeing class, had fun, dressed up and got society honors - an Award of Arms, which means now in persona I'm Lord Adriano di Napoli. We have a lot of titles in persona but what that means is you get out and contribute to the club, whether that's by fighting in tournaments and helping new fighters or other fighters (and setup for the fighting stuff), or service, cooking and organizing events and cleanup after and general helping out, or arts, making the banners and garments and thrones and scrolls. Anyone who gets any title or award gets original art, a scroll made by a calligrapher-illuminator like me (or by a calligrapher working with an illuminator, there are some members who just do the letters and don't draw, others who just do pretty borders and pictures but let someone else do the calligraphy. The only social club I've ever even heard of where everyone that wins a club award gets real, original art.

My scroll is beautiful and unsigned, though the current Princess said that she'd made it. It's gorgeous. Italian Renaissance, with classical Italic script, not like the black letter lettering almost everyone knows. I'm just starting to master the black letter but do really well with the Celtic lettering. My latest scrolls are more Gothic with the black letter, but also I still do Celtic ones. I've done quite a lot of them and answered the call when the big officers of the kingdom asked for specific ones.

I've been in and out of this organization since 1974, but I kept moving too often, especially from state to state. I'd settle into a local club and contribute a lot and just before I'd get that Lord title, wind up for job or something else moving halfway across the country to a different kingdom and thus completely different chapter where no one knows me. I've stayed with some groups longer, but love this local group and everyone knows me now. A lot of my friends wrote in for me to get it.

So that's what that means and why it's a huge thing for me. I get to call myself a lord and walk around with a 1/4" wide brass circlet on my hat. When I got called up for Court and received it, the circlet was too large and kind of fell over my eye after I walked back, so my daughter gave me the new hat she'd bought for me and that kept it on for the rest of the event. It was glorious. A moment to treasure.

I just wanted to share that, it was a really big deal to me and the SCA is a lot of fun if you like medieval things. Lots more participation than a Renfaire. Renfaire, you go see people dressed up and doing cool medieval things. SCA, you dress up and everyone's immersing, playing a persona from somewhere between about 700 to 1500's.

CM Neidhofer
08-22-2017, 08:58 PM
Christine! good luck with your permanent dentures fitting well. I shudder at the thought, because I'll wind up needing some soon. Haven't been to dentist yet. Haven't dared but will have to at some point.

Life's going well if not much time online or doing art. Involvement with the SCA has given me some great days, went to an event a week ago and had a wonderful time. Taught my Celtic Knotwork in an Hour class, went to a vegetable dyeing class, had fun, dressed up and got society honors - an Award of Arms, which means now in persona I'm Lord Adriano di Napoli. We have a lot of titles in persona but what that means is you get out and contribute to the club, whether that's by fighting in tournaments and helping new fighters or other fighters (and setup for the fighting stuff), or service, cooking and organizing events and cleanup after and general helping out, or arts, making the banners and garments and thrones and scrolls. Anyone who gets any title or award gets original art, a scroll made by a calligrapher-illuminator like me (or by a calligrapher working with an illuminator, there are some members who just do the letters and don't draw, others who just do pretty borders and pictures but let someone else do the calligraphy. The only social club I've ever even heard of where everyone that wins a club award gets real, original art.

My scroll is beautiful and unsigned, though the current Princess said that she'd made it. It's gorgeous. Italian Renaissance, with classical Italic script, not like the black letter lettering almost everyone knows. I'm just starting to master the black letter but do really well with the Celtic lettering. My latest scrolls are more Gothic with the black letter, but also I still do Celtic ones. I've done quite a lot of them and answered the call when the big officers of the kingdom asked for specific ones.

I've been in and out of this organization since 1974, but I kept moving too often, especially from state to state. I'd settle into a local club and contribute a lot and just before I'd get that Lord title, wind up for job or something else moving halfway across the country to a different kingdom and thus completely different chapter where no one knows me. I've stayed with some groups longer, but love this local group and everyone knows me now. A lot of my friends wrote in for me to get it.

So that's what that means and why it's a huge thing for me. I get to call myself a lord and walk around with a 1/4" wide brass circlet on my hat. When I got called up for Court and received it, the circlet was too large and kind of fell over my eye after I walked back, so my daughter gave me the new hat she'd bought for me and that kept it on for the rest of the event. It was glorious. A moment to treasure.

I just wanted to share that, it was a really big deal to me and the SCA is a lot of fun if you like medieval things. Lots more participation than a Renfaire. Renfaire, you go see people dressed up and doing cool medieval things. SCA, you dress up and everyone's immersing, playing a persona from somewhere between about 700 to 1500's.

The dentist had a hard time getting the bottom plate out. He said if the actual one fits that well, he'll be thrilled! I go back this Friday to try on the wax set made from the impressions. If those fit well, I'll go back in two more weeks to try the wax set with teeth in them, to check fit and bite. If that's all good, two weeks after that I'll have the permanent set. It really has been a painless procedure, just too many set backs along the way. I made a joke some time ago that maybe I'd have my two front teeth for Christmas. Seems I wasn't far off!!! LOL

Sounds like you're having a lot of creative fun Robert! Glad you're enjoying it!

LisaOlivarez
08-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Ouch, Christine! A long process but a great outcome for you, I hope.

Robert, I've never heard of such an organization as the SCA. It's so cool! I think it's wonderful that you made "Lord", and that you get to enjoy "living" in another time period. Can you post a picture of the scroll?

I've had a crazy busy summer with my young adult children. Even though I rented an expensive studio for two months, I can't seem to get down there to work. So, I'm really frustrated on that point.

I'm really excited, however, to say that I'm getting an opportunity to travel to Greece to help with an educational conference. I'll teach art to little children. I decided since I'm going all of the way over there from Michigan, I would look for a residency, and I found one! I'm going to a Greek island for two weeks afterward to paint!!!!!!! I can't believe it.

Then, wait for it, almost as soon as I get home I will travel to an Albert Handell Paint along workshop. This is a once in a lifetime Autumn for me.

I am, however, feeling conflicted about being away from my family for 4++ weeks. What do you think? They are 17 and older, only one is still in High School, and my husband will be home. I do need to start my "career" at some point, don't I????

CM Neidhofer
08-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Continuing denture saga. Wax plates were fitted and trimmed and made sure they fit well. Will come back in about two weeks with wax teeth to make sure they're the right size, fit and bite. If that's all good, I should have the permanent ones two weeks after that! Making slow progress!

CM Neidhofer
08-31-2017, 11:25 PM
Here's a link to September's Scumble. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21180676#post21180676