PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Swington X-post Portraiture

Moises Menendez
07-28-2017, 06:42 PM
This is another copy from Sargent's portraits named Mrs Swington. This work was done on an Ampersand board, 16X20, toned gray, and used pan pastel, hard pastels, soft pastels and for the small details, pastel pencils. As I mentioned before John Sargent disliked pastel since he said they may appear to be too artificials, however, the colors of pastels are pure pigments and there is nothing artificial about them. C&C are welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2017/1071012-SWINGTON.jpg

Charles Perera
07-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Moises, You have proved Sergent wrong. If he were to have seen what you have so splendidly accomplihed he would have taken to pastels and thrown away his water colour and oil painting brushes for good.

Remarkable Painting Moises.

Charles

Moises Menendez
07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Thank you Charles. At times you cant tell the difference between pastel painting and oil paintings. For instance, look at the works of Degas, Mary Cassatt, Chardin, William Chase just to name few masters who took Pastel works at the level of oil painting.

Charles Perera
07-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Yes I have seen at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris some of these old paintings in pastel of Degas and some other old masrters. But I have not seen any paintints of those you have mentioned. I will have a look at their paintings in the internet.

Thanks Moses I wish I can sit by you and watch you paininting.

Charles

PS Going through Classical Pastel Painters in the internet I came accross Kathy Fincher. They too are so beautiful

Charles Perera
07-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Moises, I saw thin interesting page:

http://eustaquiotolentinoespinosa.blogspot.fr/2014/12/1135-beleza-infantil-das-imagens-de.html

Charles

Moises Menendez
07-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Thank you Charles for the interesting blog. Kathy Fincher is a great artist.

Frances Obie
07-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Sargent really knew how to capture the inner life of his subjects...I see the same look in Mrs. Swinton's eye in your copy as in Sargent's. Masterful and painterly!

Moises Menendez
07-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Thank you for your comments Frances.

Donna T
07-31-2017, 08:03 AM
You've done such nice work with this Sargent copy, Moises! I'm sure you are learning even more than you realize by studying in this way. I think I read that Sargent got kind of burned out from doing so many portraits of high society people. They must have made all kinds of demands on him!

Moises Menendez
07-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Thank you Donna. In fact you are right about learning more about this master. I am doing several portraits already and I have noticed that some of his portraits are, in MPO, rather simple or easier to copy when compared to masters like Rembrandt which more complex and elaborated.
You are right when you said he got burned out from doing too many portraits of the aristocracy. They were very demanding but payed what he asked for.