PDA

View Full Version : Trucking on Cecil Lake Road

Frances Obie
07-27-2017, 02:50 PM
I have been reluctant to try this because the truck required so much detail but there is a show coming up that is about the oil and gas industry around here so I had to give it a try. I think its finished...19" x 19" on hardboard. C & C's please.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2017/93782-Trucking_on_Cecil_Lake_Road.jpg

pprender
07-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Wow Frances! Really nice job. The truck is amazing.
I feel like the hill to the left of the truck is dominating the truck. Could you try making it smaller, duller and less defined? More like how you handled that beautiful background.

water girl
07-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Frances, this is truly wonderful. You've asked for C & C, so I'm going to throw out a few suggestions for you to consider. This is your beautiful painting, so carefully consider any changes before you pick up a pastel. If you squint, the values in the truck and that hillside behind it are very close. You could lighten the highlights on the truck,making the truck stand out from the hill behind it. Another suggestion would be to cool down the base of the hill behind the truck, and darken it a bit in value. What if you raised the tops of a few of those gorgeous trees, right behind the truck? The cooler, darker area right behind the truck would push that truck forward toward us. I really like how you handled the roadway....a lot!!! As I said, there are a few small tweaks you can make to this painting. I just hope I haven't confused things for you. :angel: My thought process is often jumbled, there is a lot of odd, but often useful information running through my head. :lol::lol: :lol:

Donna T
07-27-2017, 07:40 PM
You do such nice work on those pieces of hardboard, Frances! Here's yet another opinion for you: leave it just as it is. My first reaction was, "Wow, look how she made the truck and the hill share that gorgeous sunlit rust color!" Then I wondered if the truck driver maybe considers himself part of the landscape he drives through. Your detailing on the truck seems just enough and it looks so authentic. Best of luck with the show!

Charles Perera
07-28-2017, 05:52 AM
Frances this has come out very well. The rough hillside slope is beatiful and contrasts well with the truck. Karen is modest her ideas are not so jumbled , you may perhaps try out some odf her suggestions.

Charles

Divasin
07-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Francis, This is VERY impressive! A bold and original concept but lots of subtlety in colouring, textures etc.:clap:
I agree the one small point is the truck and hill are the same tone. Can the hill edge behind the truck be slightly darkened so that the truck is pushed forward?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2017/1500147-93782-Trucking_take_02.jpg
Save

Frances Obie
07-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Thank you Patricia. That's a tall order! I can't really shrink the hill. However, I did make a few changes.

Karen, very useful information! I added some exhaust fumes around the top of the truck to separate it more from the hill and toned down the hill a little. I also went over some highlights on the truck.

Thank you Donna for those observations! I should have mentioned before that part of the attraction to this scene for me was the fact that the truck appeared to have the same tonality as the hill behind....probably because the truck was very dusty and the sun caught it just the right way... the truck became part of the landscape...The truck and the hill could almost be seen as one shape...this created a lovely abstract line through the composition... Now, these were all thoughts that were going through my head on a partially conscious level but may have affected the way I approached the painting. I wasn't trying to create an abstract painting so I agree with others comments that http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2017/93782-Trucking_on_Cecil_Lake_Road.jpg there needed to be some separation between the truck and the hill.

Thank you Charles and Leslie!

water girl
07-28-2017, 12:39 PM
That small tweak worked! Now that truck is coming toward us. I feel the weight of it, and can hear the engine rumbling. Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Donna T
07-28-2017, 12:56 PM
I agree! I love this painting!

Dea
07-30-2017, 09:42 PM
This is brilliant, excellently painted
Deanna

Frances Obie
07-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Thank you Deanna

artelahe
08-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Frances, I'm so sorry I missed this thread. I have been offline for about a week or less. I my first reaction mirrored Donna T's but my next one mirrored Karen's. What you ended up doing makes a really good painting great :)

Aly