PDA

View Full Version : Photorealism Swallows Demonstration

scottb
11-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Gaka - what a fantastic article! Your writing style, clear examples, and fantastic technique are something I'm sure a lot of WC! readers will find of value and interest.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/14892/390

Cheers.
Scott

Dyin
11-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Gaka....this was as much fun as following through on the original WIP!!! I really love how you interspersed the questions asked throughout the article....you did a superb job with the painting and now you've gone and done the same with an article!!!
BRAVO!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gaka
11-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Thank you very much Scott and Dyin.

I was realy amazed at the amount of viewers to the WIP in both the Pastel forum and the Animal/Wildlfe forum, not to mention the amount of questions in both forums regarding my techniques, tools, why's and why not's.

I enjoyed the WIP very much and considering the amount of question that were asked, I felt that the participating viewers questions needed to be included into the article as it marries the whole WIP as a group participation making the reader feel as though they are there watching, listening and learning whilst questions are being asked and answered.

Gaka

TeAnne
11-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Outstanding Article Bruce. I'm sure we will learn a lot from you dear friend. I hope you're keeping well :)

Bonza job mate :)

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Gaka: Brilliant job on the article - even though I followed your WIP closely, I enjoyed reading this again - and, I found myself wanting to ask additional questions.

1) How do you get your pastel dust fine enough?? What do you use?? And how do you get your pastel pencils sharp enough??

2) Throughout the WIP you refer to a black pencil/pencil and I am not sure what kind of pencil you are referring to. Do you use different kinds of pencils throughout the painting - e.g. graphite for the initial drawing, colored pencil for detail, pastel pencil for final details?

3) When you talk about the "pushing" the pastels with the shaper, do you mean you are using the edge of the shaper and pressing into the paper to make a permanent line?

Sorry to be so technical on these issues, but I am sure others are wanting to know too.

marilyn h
11-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Gaka, your work is so wonderful and I found this article to be of such grand explanation. I sat this morning a did a small piece just to try your technique. I see, now why you take days to do such intricate work. You have to be commended on your article and insight. Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2003/4759-Gakastylepastelfish.jpg

Just trying your technique. Patience would be the first quality that you have.

Mikki Petersen
11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Terrific article, very helpful. You are a far more patient individual than I am. As for the painting, I think all the character in each little guy is so charming. I really appreciated your explanation of how you positioned each bird to lead into your focus point. This is an issue I am struggling with and you have brought some clarity to the subject. Thank you.

Mo.
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Yay Gaka!!! You did it!!:clap::clap:..... a fantastic article, thankyou for giving your time and expertise to us all.

It's brilliant!!!!!!

Mo.:)

Mary Robinson
11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
I loved this article, it was invaluable to me, as most of you know by now, I am working my way slowly towards realism. It's been a long, extremely long road, but after reading the article, I've decided to try Gaka's methods. I've ordered my cosmetic applicators and yes they are available online at beauty.com, I've ordered some new pastels, some colorshapers and am just waiting for everything to arrive. I also know that Gaka's exact style of painting may not work for me, so I might have to make a few adjustments to suit my own style. But the information that was included was amazing and of great help to me. Thank you, Gaka and Happy Belated Birthday.

Mary

Gaka
11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi TeAnne.....Thank you for your comments...all is well with me, take care T

Kyle........1) How do you get your pastel dust fine enough?? What do you use?? And how do you get your pastel pencils sharp enough??

To get my dust I just use an ordinary Wood File, I have about 4 of them as they seen to wear out. I use both coarse and fine files and it does not make much difference except that the coarse one is faster getting the dust.......I do not use Pastel Pencils at all for my artwork as they are too hard and gritty. For all of my detail I sharpen Faber Castell square pastel sticks to a very fine point with the file.

2) Throughout the WIP you refer to a black pencil/pencil and I am not sure what kind of pencil you are referring to. Do you use different kinds of pencils throughout the painting - e.g. graphite for the initial drawing, colored pencil for detail, pastel pencil for final details?

I used a sharpened black Faber pastel stick to re-draw some lines, As I said above I do not use Pastel Pencils....All of my work is done with pastel dust of pastel sticks other than the initial drawing which I do in graphite or colored pencil if it is a dark background-usually white.

3) When you talk about the "pushing" the pastels with the shaper, do you mean you are using the edge of the shaper and pressing into the paper to make a permanent line?

If you draw the pastel stick across the paper it leaves a fine dotty line because of the tooth of the paper. To get this line to be sharp I need to work this into the paper or the background. So I get the color shaper and gently massage the line of pastel into the paper creating a fine sharp line as you can see in pages 3 and 6 on the Swallow Article. The line is permanent as in "on the paper" but it is not indented into the paper.

Marilyn h....Thank you very much for your kind comments...Good to see that you have been experimenting with my method....that is not to say that this is the best method or everyone should be doing it. But for those who like detail, this is a very simple method of doing it. Your Fish turned out great and I hope you had fun doing it.

1mpete....Thank you for your comments...Patience, well I have unlimited amounts of it when it comes to any of my creative abilities...BUT unfortunately I have no patience left for nearly everything else in life, Oh well..that's the way I am! :D I am not that "Up there" with the technical side or theory side of composition, I just do it the way that I think looks good to me, If it works it works and if it does not then it is not the end of the world for me. Not everyone who looks at or buys art , buy it because it is perfect in composition.

Mo....Yey Mo...I doneded it! Boy that was a lot of time and effert for an one finger speed typist, I am sure that I have shortened my index finger by 5mm with all of that typing.....But it was worth it. Thanks you for your kind words.

AkaMorgie....I think that the first thing is to not too expect this method to work perfectly out of the box, it may take you a number of paintings to get to find what works for you or to develope your own ways of getting the result that you want. Should you run into difficulties or feel that you need some help or clarification with my methods please feel free to PM me or E-Mail me. Thank you for the Birthday wish.

Gaka

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Gaka: Thanks for the additional insight to your wonderful painting method - you are an amazing artist with tons of patience.

MonicaB
11-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Thank you, Gaka. This is wonderful! :D

Mary Robinson
11-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Thank you Gaka,

I appreciate the offer of help. And I do understand I have to find my own way and it may take a bit of time, lucky for me I had two daughters to teach me patience. But I'm hoping your wonderful example will make my journey less painful.

Mary

Diyart
11-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Hello,
this is my first posting on wetcanvas and I hope I get all the buttons right.
Thank you very much for the excellent demonstration and insight how to develop a pastel painting.

best regards
Martin
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2003/30497-elfpastel.jpg

E-J
11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
I really hope Gaka won't mind my bumping this thread back to the top for the purpose of letting others see the pastel painting posted here by Martin (Diyart) ... I sent Martin a PM at the time explaining how he could post this image to its own thread so that everyone would have a chance to see it, as nobody else made any comment on it, either out of courtesy to Gaka or because they simply assumed it was another comment on the demo. Maybe Martin didn't get my message :confused: Anyway ... I think his scene is terrific and since it can't do any harm to bring the link to Gaka's demo back to the top, where more people can see that too, that's what I'm doing!! :)

Meisie
11-21-2003, 06:30 PM
E-J! Thank you for bumping this up! I never did see this thread.
Thanks agian Gaka.double WOW!
And this painting of Martin's is absolutely beautiful!
Martin where are you? Show us more!
please? :D
Meisie

kimo
11-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Gaka - thank you so much for your time (and the sacrifice of your finger!) for doing this article. As someone else here mentioned, I read your wip but thoroughly enjoyed reading through this article again!

And thank you for being such a kind and patient person in sharing all of your hard-earned knowledge and expertise with the rest of us. I don't think I ever would have tried pastels if not for seeing your stuff here and all of your time in explaining your methods. I'm having so much fun playing with the pastels!!

For those that may be interested, this is what I am currently working on (I have a wip going at both the wildlife and colored pencil forums) of a macaw I am doing using Gakas pastel methods with the addition of some colored pencil as well:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/25797-razz-wip5.jpg

Gaka - Thank you thank you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin - definitely post more. Your pastel painting is beautiful!