PDA

View Full Version : Goldstar in the Lakes

NeilF92
07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Doing this one for a guy who got a backseat low level whizz round the Lake District one January . The actual size of the painting is to be decided so it's being done on a 24 x20 " canvas which may be reduced to 24 x 16 or 18 " or maybe left as is . We'll see .
Still a WIP with much to do - simply took the landscape far enough to feel happy with the layout . It will require much work yet to capture Winter bracken but I have plenty of reference so will nail it in the end . The kite will be a specific 31 Sqn Tornado GR4 - bog standard no special tail etc .
The location is by Helm Crag with it's " Howitzer" rock feature in Dunmail Pass between Grasmere and Thirlmere .
Any missing bits will appear in due course - like the rest of the tail wing and the little triangle on the back of the fin above the rudder . :)
I'm aware that red is a forward kind of colour . I'll keep considering the hue of the back drop and may mute it to duller brown , late winter.
Haven't decided on the sky as yet - probably best kept fairly simple given how busy the rest of the image is . I have a lovely photo of a morning sky to fit time of day and direction .

NeilF92
07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
I thought there was something odd about the nose - just realised Photoshop had picked up the outline of the left hand tank in the ref photo I used . The a/c in the ref photo was carrying large Hindenburger tanks - longer than the 1150 ltr version in the painting . I've now amended the painting to the correct nose . profile.

NeilF92
07-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Corrected the nose and progressed a little .

NeilF92
07-19-2017, 05:47 PM
WIP 24 x20" Acrylic on canvas .
The heat upstairs is a bit off putting currently - hoping for a cooler spell soon. Still managing to get some painting done . It's tricky keeping the staywet pallette moist but not too much and turn the paint into colour pools .
The markings are tentative just for a look see at the mo . The star on the tail will be larger - should have used the reference I had and not an old photo. :(
I will be adding a visible exhaust plume , some tip vortices and some vapour flash off the wings . Will fade the back drop behind the a/c to bring it out more . Still lots to do to a/c and land/ sky. but coming along nicely .

Trumper
07-20-2017, 04:58 AM
:) I like this ,thanks for the W I P :)

NeilF92
07-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Thanks Trumper - Had a good go at it this morning and improved matters further . Sorted the bottom of the intake lip among other bits . Still stacks to do all round . Should turn out well. The customer is pleased with progress anyway so I'm hopeful. For once I have a crystal
clear ref photo to assist ,I should know the Tornado airframe outside in by now anyway and I have zillions of reference material so there will be no excuse at the end of the day . Will tackle the rectangle plate and the little ladder of fins that sit at the base of the tail behind the side exhaust outlet next . Details , details !!!! And there's still the bracken to get under control! Doh!

NeilF92
07-21-2017, 03:39 PM
More work done still very much WIP but getting there with the a/c . Soon be time to tackle the landscape and skyscape again.

NeilF92
07-21-2017, 04:45 PM
I notice I haven't shown the black trim at the bottom, of the intake - yet another of the little items that still need attention.

Trumper
07-22-2017, 09:11 AM
The aircraft is definitely looking 3d now :)

NeilF92
07-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Getting near the end now - although there is still a lot to do . The essential elements are all there and it's a case of finishing off the detail so I won't post more on this one .
Must remember the little upright on top of the intake at the front base of the fin - did have it in but it's vanished .