PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shore

huanghehe
07-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Lake shore. Nupastels on Strathmore pastel paper, 11x14. C&c welcomed!

huanghehe
07-18-2017, 06:49 AM
A better picture of it

artelahe
07-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Isn't it maddening how today's digital cameras seem to decide on their own how intense to make a photo (whether it is of art or of real life).

Things I love about your painting:
-my eye is drawn immediately to the dip in the land mass where the dark meets the light (your focal point).
-the green water where light must have broken through but also indicating a shallower depth, love that with your cooler violet blues beside and in front of it.
-the drama of your clouds which appear to be scudding across the sky.

If I were to modify one thing, the large, dark cloud near your focal point seems more rounded, the bottom of it curving up. Because it is the darkest one and it is near your focal point but farther away from you, could it be slimmer maybe lighter at the top and still as dark over a thinner bottom (if that makes sense?

I love the distance and dept in this painting, a lot.

Divasin
07-18-2017, 09:28 AM
You've gotten some very interesting effects with the Nupastels!

I'll have to dig mine out from the bottom of the drawer!:lol:

huanghehe
07-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Thanks artelaheh and Leslie for visiting! Artelahe, thanks for the comment on clouds. I found it very useful. I modified it a bit. Not sure if I made it better but I will definitely pay more attention to shape and value next time! Leslie, I am not sure how good Nupastels are. I use them because they are the only ones I have. You do not have to switch back if you found better ones :)

huanghehe
07-18-2017, 12:53 PM
A bit change on the shape of clouds. Sorry it looks like very time when I take a picture, the color changes a bit.... It really depends on the time in the day, and it truly looks cooler around noon :)

Donna T
07-18-2017, 06:28 PM
That's a beautiful sky! You did nice work on the rocks on the shore too. I'm glad you didn't detail them too much because that sky is the star of this show. I hope there are some other brands of pastels in your future so you can see what they are like. Nupastels are nice but be careful of the red-violet colors because I think they are the ones that fade the most.

huanghehe
07-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Thank you Donna for the suggestion on trying different pastels. I was think of buying a Rambrant soft pastel set, maybe by end of year. Also I looked at your art on your website. They are so beautiful!!!

Donna T
07-19-2017, 08:15 AM
I think a set of Rembrandt's would be a great choice for you! They aren't so soft that they would feel completely different than your Nupastels. Thanks so much for the kind words about my work.