PDA

View Full Version : Koa Hall Table

kauila
07-17-2017, 05:39 PM
This a narrow table made out of figured koa. I used the most figured (curly) wood for the apron. My original plan was to include a drawer on the front, but that changed as the project neared completion. The table is about 63" long by 14" deep and 32"high. The wood is sanded to a high polish and finished with several coats of Watco oil.

SparrowHawk7
07-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Beautiful table! I had to stop using Koa when the prices went through the roof .. it's nice wood to work with though.

Yorky
07-18-2017, 01:22 AM
Beautiful!

Doug

kauila
07-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Thank you Ken and Doug. The koa wood, itself, is what made it fairly easy to make the project look decent. It had plenty of attractive figure in it to make up for any design or execution mistakes on my part.
You are right Ken about how expensive and difficult it can be to buy decent koa wood now; especially the highly-figured curly koa stock. Most of the wood used in this project was from lumber that I accumulated over the years long ago. There was a time when it was rather cheap when compared to today's prices, and I'm still kicking myself for passing up on some of the great deals I was offered by the lumber dealers and wood cutters.

SparrowHawk7
07-18-2017, 02:04 PM
I have a friend who makes guitars for Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker Band and others who always buys top quality woods and I get many of his "scraps" for my small projects. But due to pricing he no longer can afford highly figured Koa in the quantities he needs. And I cannot afford it either so my supply has also dried up. Fortunately other exotics are reasonably priced (for the most part) so I can still get some wonderful "scrap" from my friend. Now ... if I could only get motivated to use them. Sigh.

TheJoy
07-22-2017, 06:22 AM
That is a beautiful looking table. What kind of tools do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Fana
07-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Beautiful table!

kauila
07-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the nice comments TheJoy and Fana.
TheJoy: The kinds of tools used to make the table are the usual ones found in a small woodworking shop. A 10" tablesaw , 6" jointer, thickness planer, bandsaw, drill press, routers, sanders, etc. along with several other hand tools were used. The table top and lower shelf were finished in part with a very sharp 4-1/2 smooth plane and a scraper plane. The apron was the most difficult to make, since it was shaped using W&H planer molder with carefully honed and set crown molding knives. It took hours to get the knives ready to cut with and against the hard grain without chipping out parts of the wild grain. I hand-fed it to make sure it did not burn the wood or cut too fast or slow. I must have been a bit lucky with the setting, since it came out looking polished with no real need to sand afterwards. There was a time when I used to make custom kitchen cabinets and furniture before I figured out that it was not an easy way to make a living, unless one is also a good businessman, which I am not.