PDA

View Full Version : who else builds model kits ??

shadwell
07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
wether it be for artists models , fun , or a display collection who else builds airfix , revell and what are preferred scales ??

matchbox 1/72 beaufighter mk x

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2017/208070-_DSC8751.jpg

Trumper
07-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Very nice.I don't have the room to keep anything i make now :(

NeilF92
07-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Never take the time these days . I have quite a few Airfix , Revell etc kits built in the past but most of the latest additions are part complete able to stick together with masking tape for artist model stuff .
however - my elder son has just given me a birthday present of the Airfix Typhoon single seat version so I will make an effort to build it .
This Shackleton on top of the cupboard is about my best ever make . Painted an' all!

Trumper
07-17-2017, 10:12 AM
A friend of mine made me a model of a Wellington bomber that my wifes Grandad flew in when he was training as a navigator in WW11.

Kassal
07-17-2017, 03:49 PM
I photographed this MPM 1:72 scale 'Defiant' a few months back, to help construct a new painting composition. Haven't started work on it yet, however.

http://i.imgur.com/oVkefTH.jpg

chrismc
07-17-2017, 04:42 PM
I used to build lots when I was a kid/teenager. I believe my first aviation subject was a 1/72 Lynx. My son turns 14 next week and he asked if he could get some models and tools for it as we enjoyed building the Star Wars kits from Revell.

Christopher

Kassal
07-17-2017, 05:35 PM
My lad turned 16 last month and he's never been remotely interested. Would have been something to do together :o

Shamrock15
08-06-2017, 10:11 AM
I started into it again in the last couple years. I have also started a plastic model club at the school where I teach. Would love to be able to get some of the kids up to airbrushing level. A couple did get really interested this year. maybe in the upcoming year for some. The range in acrylic paint has really opened this up.

Here is a 1/48 Fw-190 night fighter I built last year. I believe it was a Tri-Master kit with photo etch parts and tubing. First time with those! Fun build. He-219 on the current build. Next up is a Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster that I will build in the markings of the one my great uncle was flying in when he was killed on a training mission.

Shamrock15
08-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Sorry - need to find a new photo editor so I can resize my image that didn't make it here.

Shamrock15
08-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Here is a resized one...

Trumper
08-06-2017, 02:46 PM
A friend of mine runs a modelling forum on facebook if anyone is interested in looking or joining. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556834807964104/

shadwell
08-09-2017, 01:22 AM
some nice builds there

Ianrevealed
12-15-2017, 07:43 AM
This is my collection - some were built over 50 years ago but somehow survived in my mum's attic :-)

I find them useful for specific viewpoints and light angles. It means i am not guessing from published photographs what lens was used and if there is distortion.

Of course one is reliant on the skills of those unknown heroes who carved these things out of metal in the first place.

They sit in plain view in the entrance to our house and most visitors do not notice them at all!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2017/1985972-Kit_collection_1_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2017/1985972-Kit_collection_2.jpg

NeilF92
12-15-2017, 11:44 AM
That's a balbo 'n a half!

Trumper
12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
I would pay alot to go to an airshow with that lot in :)

scifi
12-16-2017, 12:02 AM
That's an impressive collection. I've got a couple of Airfix kits that I got recently, but haven't assembled yet.

Shamrock15
12-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Looks like a beautiful collection there. I do want to register a complaint though that you have two Voodoos and neither is Canadian! That red cheat line we put on them just fits the plane to its T tail.

hmshood5
12-16-2017, 11:09 PM
I build many models... Planes, ships, armor, spacecraft, even classic '50s cars!

Ianrevealed
12-20-2017, 06:39 AM
Looks like a beautiful collection there. I do want to register a complaint though that you have two Voodoos and neither is Canadian! That red cheat line we put on them just fits the plane to its T tail.

You have good eyesight!

The 101-A is a Revell kit published before I was born and it comes with USAF markings etched into the surface, an American chap I contacted about them said the kit is based on the prototype. I am not sure it is actually 1:72 scale. Its the oldest model I have - I built it when I was nine (1963 AD). I recently acquired another one of the same kit - still in its box.

The 101-C is the Hasegawa kit, its a bit distorted but a nice model, the real aircraft must have been huge for a single seater.

Revell recently published a 101-B which I think was the version used by Canada. However, when I build it I intend to keep my version south of the border.

Interestingly the rotating missile bay concept below the nose of the 101-B was taken and applied to the early Buccaneer (I cite Kev Darling on that historical factoid).

Shamrock15
12-20-2017, 04:25 PM
The comment on the rotary door sparked some curiosity for me. It looks like their development was nearly enough simultaneous to remove that possibility. It does look like there were previous aircraft on both sides of the pond designed with that feature. One post I saw even indicated that there was such a design in the UK in 1937!

Ianrevealed
12-21-2017, 01:04 AM
The comment on the rotary door sparked some curiosity for me. It looks like their development was nearly enough simultaneous to remove that possibility. It does look like there were previous aircraft on both sides of the pond designed with that feature. One post I saw even indicated that there was such a design in the UK in 1937!

I cannot claim to be an expert on the history - Its just a passing interest I have in aircraft development. Darling in his book (Crowood aviation series) on the Buccaneer claims that the rotating bay door was already in the Martin B-57 and the F-101.

I must admit it puzzled me for a long time because I could not figure out where on my Revell F-101A there could possibly be a bomb bay! Eventually I came across the F-101B and all became clear.

The door had to rotate because conventional doors would interfere with the air flow. The original design also required the rotated open door to be lowered on a rack and pinion so that a device called 'green cheese' could be released. But both the rack and pinion bit and 'green cheese' did not come to be.

I went to Farnborough Tech. and spend most of my days there watching a Buccaneer repeating circuits over the top of us - the same machine later turned up near where I live in Cape Town - still flying! :)

Ianrevealed
12-22-2017, 02:02 AM

I did a bit more reading on this - lovely to be on leave and have the time :) .

According to Ronald Easley in a Schiffer published book 'The F-101 Voodoo' the rotary door was devised in 1957 and there were live test firing trials in progress in 1958. Kev Darling describes the tests with the Buccaneer taking place in 1963. However, I did not find mention in Darling's book of the date when the decision to install the rotary door on the Buccaneer was made and designed for. In the case of both aircraft, modifications to address turbulence were required because of the rotating door arrangement.

On a lighter note - Whilst the Buccaneer was going to use its door to launch 'Green Cheese', the Voodoo door was designed to hold "a pair of MB-1 Ding Dong rockets"!