PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Tug those Yellow Boots C&C welcome

artelahe
07-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Here we go..
First pass - a little higher than I wanted on the paper but this may still work.

I'm pretending I'm blocking this in (it's really sort of a drawing at this stage to see if I can get the statement I'm looking for). Apparently, I'm working backward. I'd ordinarily start with darks on a landscape or still life!

water girl
07-12-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one. You can actually start filling in your background if you like.

artelahe
07-12-2017, 11:59 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one. You can actually start filling in your background if you like.

Karen, that is a great idea!! it would have helped greatly if I had read you post before adding a dash or two or three to the figure, but this may be a good time to block in some background regardless. I'll include it with next pics. Thanks!

artelahe
07-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Some color next (I missed Karen's suggestion to work on background). This is just some ideas.848432

water girl
07-13-2017, 12:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with putting in the outline of your figure first, then filling in the background, or finishing your figure, then putting in the background. Either works.

Divasin
07-13-2017, 07:33 AM
I'm also looking forward to seeing your process
...for me it's all about getting something started..then you have something to react to..
Love the initial sketch it already has a great variety of expressive lines/marks.

artelahe
07-13-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm also looking forward to seeing your process
...for me it's all about getting something started..then you have something to react to..
Love the initial sketch it already has a great variety of expressive lines/marks.

Thank you, Leslie! Woke up and did a few additions/adjustments.
My imagination sees an end result that epitomizes 'loose' and fluid. I'm frustrated because my imagination feels sweeping gestures are called for but my mind is having my hands place more cautious strokes.

I may have to let go and just error out if letting go goes awry, then try again. No harm, no foul, lots of learning to be had. I'm feeling my way here.

Donna T
07-13-2017, 09:49 AM
It's looking good so far, Aly!

artelahe
07-13-2017, 01:19 PM
It's looking good so far, Aly!

Thanks, Donna. Fingers crossed (but not when i'm holding the pastels!)

artelahe
07-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Determining now if this is salvageable...

artelahe
07-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Hands, face/hair, and what the heck for bench rails and background. I'm getting happier about the fabric (one of the things I neglected to mention I historically shy from). Ideas (and transferred talents) sought and most welcome.

water girl
07-16-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm so happy to see you have taken this to the next level. Here is a very small suggestion concerning the boots. His right boot is in a bit of shadow in the photo. So, you could tone down that boot and keep his left boot bright and in the sunshine. That would keep one boot as the center of attention, rather than two. Just a thought for you to consider. As always, it is your painting and you can choose what you would like to change or not change. You are almost finsihed!!! :clap:

artelahe
07-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Karen, thank you for the feedback. I have been considering that too and can damp it down. Not 100% sure how but my gut says darker and less intense. I may need to fiddle a bit.

artelahe
07-16-2017, 02:29 PM
More like this? Darker?

water girl
07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
You are on the right track. :thumbsup:

artelahe
07-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Not sure how to make it darker without obliterating it. Unless I make the shadow darker, too. Here's what I have so far....
Currently scunnered by the background, bench and pillow. Too much chroma behind but value may be ok. Ideas? Also how do you like the figure now?

artelahe
07-16-2017, 04:36 PM
The dots show photo manipulation blurred areas. The other blurs are by me.

huanghehe
07-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Looking great! I like your colors!

artelahe
07-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Huanghehe, thanks so much! It needs some adjustments still, but I think the meat of it is there.

artelahe
07-17-2017, 08:39 AM
I've been looking at both versions. I prefer the one at the top of the page posted 7/16 at 4:09PM (eastern) over the one with the blended background that I later glazed with greens, blues, purples and oranges. Not that there aren't problems with the next to last version.

I'd rework the shadow under the arm to blue, and I regret now not making the coat blue as well.

I like the boots, and the hand tugging the boots, the foot driving into the boot. I like the pants. I can't put my finger on why I am not happy with the rest as much. Perhaps the coat is too bright? Face too red, glasses too blue? His left hand (the one on the rail) not defined enough.

Karen suggested making the boot in the shadow darker, and I've darkened both the boot and the shadow and do prefer that.

Divasin
07-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Aly, I agree I like your first version.
It's lively and fresh.
Is it possible to put it away for a few days?:wink2:
I suspect when you can see it fresh the finishing touches will be obvious.

My thoughts on finishing would be to add small touches of those bold yellows, reds in the background so they are not so isolated.
Small touches of softening on those edges of the figure farthest away.
e.g. left arm and coat.
But JMO:heart:

artelahe
07-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Aly, I agree I like your first version.
It's lively and fresh.
Is it possible to put it away for a few days?:wink2:
I suspect when you can see it fresh the finishing touches will be obvious.

My thoughts on finishing would be to add small touches of those bold yellows, reds in the background so they are not so isolated.
Small touches of softening on those edges of the figure farthest away.
e.g. left arm and coat.
But JMO:heart:

Leslie, thank you for the great advice! I may not put it away, but I will think about your suggestions and how (the heck) to make them happen, maybe drag some of the background over the arm and coat to soften the edge? I am having difficulty visualizing the reds and yellows in the background without bringing it too far forward (small, super small marks?).. hmmm... now you have me pondering..... :)

Divasin
07-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi Aly,
I should have made myself clearer, you can echo the yellows and reds with toned down versions of ochres (yellowish), siennas (reddish).
Softening the edges could be as subtle as just sliding along the edge with a Qtip or blending stump (tortillon).
Leslie

artelahe
07-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Hi Aly,
I should have made myself clearer, you can echo the yellows and reds with toned down versions of ochres (yellowish), siennas (reddish).
Softening the edges could be as subtle as just sliding along the edge with a Qtip or blending stump (tortillon).
Leslie

Leslie, GASP! Something new to try with the stump or q-tip. :) That I can do one way or another. Still ruminating on the splashes.

Donna T
07-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Well you sure have done some fine work on this, Aly. He looks great and toning down the one boot was a very subtle but effective move. I'm not one for doing figures but if I think of it as a landscape with shapes lit and modeled by a light source it helps. I think you're almost there. Maybe just a few lines to ground the bench and define the back/arm rest part? I like that the background is vague; he could be sitting against a wall in a city or that could be an ocean behind him.

Divasin
07-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Butting in again! Forgive me!
Checking on your photo I've added some shadows and blurring to the right edge of the figure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2017/1500147-Alys_Pic.jpg
Save

artelahe
07-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Butting in again! Forgive me!
Checking on your photo I've added some shadows and blurring to the right edge of the figure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2017/1500147-Alys_Pic.jpg
Save

I had to really look to see what you did, Leslie. What a difference! I wasn't sure about those tan boards, but you made them look viable. Thank you for the visual suggestion. Again, this is a big help and a great learning experience. Thank you so much!

artelahe
07-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Thank you, Donna :)

kcpiegirl
07-17-2017, 05:47 PM
wow - this has come a long way in the past few days! it's very nice!

Frances Obie
07-18-2017, 04:29 PM
I liked it from the first drawing. Well done!

artelahe
07-18-2017, 11:02 PM
I liked it from the first drawing. Well done!

Thank you, Frances. That means a lot coming from you! :)

I've been messing around with it a bit based on feedback from Leslie and an idea I had. I am adjusting the background values to go much darker. It takes some of the pressure/importance off the high chroma coat, These colors and texture are wrong, but I like the values.

Donna T
07-19-2017, 08:02 AM
I like the darker value of the background too, Aly, and think it does help the boots to stand out more. You are smart to limit the contrast to the area where it matters the most and keep our eyes from lingering too long on the red coat. I think you could possibly even sneak touches of the dark background color(s) onto the coat, especially the arm that is farthest from us, to decrease the contrast even more. Now you have me thinking about harmony and how it can be emphasized or de-emphasized to suit a painting. I also think the dark background changes the mood too, especially when compared to your reference photo.

artelahe
07-19-2017, 08:21 AM
I like the darker value of the background too, Aly, and think it does help the boots to stand out more. You are smart to limit the contrast to the area where it matters the most and keep our eyes from lingering too long on the red coat. I think you could possibly even sneak touches of the dark background color(s) onto the coat, especially the arm that is farthest from us, to decrease the contrast even more. Now you have me thinking about harmony and how it can be emphasized or de-emphasized to suit a painting. I also think the dark background changes the mood too, especially when compared to your reference photo.

Thank you for your feedback, Donna! Admittedly, it was the gesture (and the boots) of greatest interest to me and caused this entire madness. ;) I am not ever as hung up on replicating the photo as I am about trying to create an interesting, and maybe (hopefullly) good, painting that won't embarrass me once done.

I agree with your thoughts on the far arm. Stay tuned. I may be going experimental....

Divasin
07-19-2017, 02:15 PM
I like your most recent changes!
You call it gesture and I would say "painterly" which it has had from the beginning... the variety of strokes you use creates a lot of interest.

artelahe
07-19-2017, 04:46 PM
That is such a nice thing to say, Leslie! Thank you.

I've tried a couple of things to add "touches of color"

But the fussiness didn't go along with the image and I didn't do them very well, either. The branches on the left looked grim and foreboding offset by zombie bush on the right. What the heck was I thinking?? NOT what I was going for.

Here is the latest iteration. This is heading in a better direction.

Bunch of smaller corrections still needed, but what do you all think?

artelahe
07-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Now with some adjustments....

I

Donna T
07-20-2017, 07:04 AM
I like what you did with the background! You kept a sense of light and air coming through and repeated some of the other colors for harmony. The grim branches and zombie bush weren't so bad but maybe they can live in another painting.

artelahe
07-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Thank you, Donna. I'm so glad you felt the background the way I hoped it would read.

This morning I am getting a hankering for something on the right to address the blank area of deck/bench (right as we look at it). I may not mess with it but don't want to 'finish' the bench and lower two rails until I have a firmer sense about it. I worry that the lower right is too blank?
On another point: Paint and Learn.
Block in the background values first (but that would have taken much more forethought, not to mention planning) to better marry the background with the mid ground and figure? Marrying the edges is not fun.

Donna T
07-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Nice additions to your painting, Aly! :lol: The last one really works! Ok, since you have posted your ideas I'll show you what I've been playing with. I know it's not the vision you had but I was mostly trying to preserve that big shape in the foreground and connect it to another shape of similar value. I did a bunch of other stuff too but nothing too drastic I hope. Just trying out some "what if" things. Obviously, I know nothing about how benches are built!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2017/97763-Aly2.jpg

artelahe
07-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Donna, I've been eyeing that forehead. thanks for the ideas. Mine weren't as elegant but may look more like yours now. ;)

I did find 1 support. I'll see if I can add it.

Plus I only have markup on my phone, no photoshop! As always I appreciate yours and everyone's feedback, ideas, and help. :)

water girl
07-20-2017, 04:45 PM
You are almost finished here. Donna has some really great suggestions. Here is another small one to consider. What if you darkened the value of the concrete/ground in the lower right corner. Nothing drastic. With that corner being so light in value, it tends to draw the eye off in that direction rather than staying on your figure. By smudging some cool colors there, it should keep the focus back to the figure. Just a suggestion, it's always wise to consider a change before taking action.

artelahe
07-20-2017, 05:30 PM
You are almost finished here. Donna has some really great suggestions. Here is another small one to consider. What if you darkened the value of the concrete/ground in the lower right corner. Nothing drastic. With that corner being so light in value, it tends to draw the eye off in that direction rather than staying on your figure. By smudging some cool colors there, it should keep the focus back to the figure. Just a suggestion, it's always wise to consider a change before taking action.

GMTA - I pondered on that, Karen. That corner has been bothering me. if I darken, it, I think I have to darken the shadow on his right boot as well. Back to the easel for me now that work day is (mostly) over.