PDA

View Full Version : River Scene in Progress

johnbeam
07-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I've been working on this for a while... I still have a way to go. This is done in Acrylic and I've seen others bring greater life to painting by using oil paints on top of acrylic... I've never tried it but was considering it on this one. I just don't like experimenting after doing so much detailed work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2017/1972394-2017-07-11_21.46.18.jpg

AnnieA
07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
I've never used oil over acrylic in the way you ask about, but I'm not certain your painting really needs it. You've got a really beautiful last light glow going on. Why mess with it?

~JMW~
07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Yes, you might have too many fine details to go in with oils now on top, it looks really nice as it is..
Some use oils over top after more of a rough in or looser work with acrylics.. speeds up the painting process, and sometimes over top just to touch up /highlight places..
I would try it first on a small or basic study , not a nice detailed painting..

Some things that have me wondering about in the painting, the bridge reflection? & traffic lights reflection & the slightly abrupt water color change on each side of the bridge..
But maybe you are still refining those areas.

KreativeK
07-31-2017, 02:20 PM
It's a remarkable scene with many hours of labor done; I would not mess with it at all, just lovely the way it is.

it'sALLart
08-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Looks like you're getting ready to put the bridge cables in... how do you plan on doing that? Thin straight lines are always a challenge! Hope it goes well for you! Nice work so far, agree with others, don't use any oils, you don't need them.

johnbeam
08-01-2017, 01:50 PM
I've debated on how to draw the cables.. I experimented with using a ruling pen but I can't get a good clean line on the canvas for some reason... And I tried using a brush and straight edge but that's not going to be easy given the number of cables... I think the best way will be using masking tape... slow but hopefully it will be easier to get reliable result.... I'll post the results once I figure it out! Any suggestions welcome!

it'sALLart
08-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Experience pays off, had you perfect foresight, that might not be on canvas but instead on panel or board, then the ruling pen would work great! No biggie, I think you can still get a decent line with fairly liquid opaque white. I would go back to using the straight edge, create a line and then walk away until it's dried. If you can do two that are in diff. portions, do so... but tape? I think that would be even more hassle than straight edge. I've used a straight edge with a ruler that I built up on the bottom so it would not touch the canvas. Put my finest brush against it at the ferule and kept the distance the same. It's difficult, but it can be done. Think about those guys who did all the sailing ships with the rigging! I would go blind... LOL

johnbeam
08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
I had originally planned for this to be on Masonite Board and had the board cut and gesso applied but changed my mind as it was getting rather heavy. I think I'll try your advice and practice with straight edge as this is a great skill to master anyway!

Boafamily
08-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Nice work and I agree with the others in leaving the acrylics as the medium.

johnbeam
10-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Finally finished this ... getting good feedback on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/john.beam.77/posts/1812850522077214

Thanks for all your help here! I tried all the options from ruling pen to straight edge and tape... I finally settled on tape for most of the cables even tho I believe it would have been quicker to use straight edge I was not steady enough (talented) to create a perfect consistent line for this many cables...
And every screw up was over detailed background so it was no time to practice...

it'sALLart
10-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Nice job, I think it turned out very well! :clap:

SherylG
10-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Stunning work! Great detail and so realistic it looks like a photograph!
Wonderful job of the detail!