PDA

View Full Version : P5M Marlin

vegaskip
07-10-2017, 06:35 AM
With JATO bottles fired,Passing a swift boat "Swiftly!". There is the story about one crazy US citizen that strapped one of these bottles to his pick up..... they found the remains of the truck but not him.

Trumper
07-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Not sure i would want to be in that little boat in the next few seconds LOL :) It's bad enough on a Kayak when a speeding boat goes past.

shadwell
07-12-2017, 03:15 AM
wouldn't it be RATO I believe most are rockets rather than jets

Chas McHugh
07-12-2017, 03:52 AM
Shackleton MR3 had jet assisted take off. A pair of Jet Provost turbines located within the outer RR Griffin piston engines.

The US favour rocket assisted take offs with several aircraft employing the procedure including B47 Stratojet and also C130 Hercules. Blue Angels showboating comes to mind.

Of course the 'Peacemaker' (B36) epitomises duel power systems with both props and turbines.

vegaskip
07-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Shackleton MR3 had jet assisted take off. A pair of Jet Provost turbines located within the outer RR Griffin piston engines.

The US favour rocket assisted take offs with several aircraft employing the procedure including B47 Stratojet and also C130 Hercules. Blue Angels showboating comes to mind.

Of course the 'Peacemaker' (B36) epitomises duel power systems with both props and turbines.

And the Buccaneer!, SouthAfrican version. As for JATO/RATOG, I think it was just that the press coined the Jet bit and it stuck. Or maybe American/British, I always knew it as ROCKET ASSISTED TAKE OFF GEAR.
Jim