PDA

View Full Version : My mistake - C&C - my first figure in 45 years

artelahe
07-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Tugging on these Yellow Boots!

Welp, there it is. Saturday morning I had the sudden urge to do something totally out of character, a figure drawing/painting/sketch. I'll start by saying I just picked painting back up 3 months ago after a 20 year hiatus. There are certain subjects I historically stay away from: Rocks, animals, people, mostly because my memory tells me I'm inherently bad at them (I know, I know, not a good excuse to avoid them). Digging through my photos, I found one of my brother preparing to do some pressure washing and thought it was an interesting pose. The mistake? I chickened out after taping my beautiful Paste Premiere Italian Clay 12x16" on my easel and covered it with glassine. I sketched this on the glassine! Naturally, I had a terrible time of it. How I ever got the nupastel and sennelier to stick at all I will never know (but it could be because the gritted surface was under it. I've smudged some of the background out because that's how I'd want it to look if I end up actually committing to doing this for real. Your insights, feedback, and advice would be most welcome.

water girl
07-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Here's my C & C.....paint this on your Pastel Primiere. It will be fantastic! Just add your final painting to this thread.

artelahe
07-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Here is the reference photo

artelahe
07-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Here's my C & C.....paint this on your Pastel Primiere. It will be fantastic! Just add your final painting to this thread.

Karen, thank you for the encouragement! On the plus side the effect of the broken color on the boot made me very happy (thank you, glassine for giving me ideas!).

huanghehe
07-10-2017, 03:33 PM
Looking good! I like the blurry background and the shiny shoes!

artelahe
07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Looking good! I like the blurry background and the shiny shoes!

Thank you! Let's see what I can do on the pastel premiere. I may make glassine my new medium < laughing> !

Donna T
07-12-2017, 11:18 AM
You are brave to jump back into figure painting, Aly! I like your glassine trial image - that's a great idea. Those yellow boots deserve to be featured in a painting and I look forward to seeing your progress.

artelahe
07-12-2017, 11:30 AM
You are brave to jump back into figure painting, Aly! I like your glassine trial image - that's a great idea. Those yellow boots deserve to be featured in a painting and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks, Donna. For the purpose of full disclosure, I have NEVER done figure painting. I sketched a few figures in HS art class, like, twice. This is totally new territory for me. In preparation for the painting, I taped the glassine image next to my PP paper, and then proceeded to look at it for 3 days--scared out of my mind. I finally decided I liked the glassine image sooo much my fear of being able to duplicate it overwhelmed me. Then --- an ah ha moment! I don't want to duplicate that one as much as I want to paint what I originally saw that prompted[i] the glassine image (hope that made sense). I un-taped the glassine so it is now on the opposite wall from my easel. I can turn around or see it as I leave the studio should I choose to, or look at it as an alternate reference.

Still scared, just not as intimidated and working to become less daunted, lol. I am putting SOMETHING on that PP, [I]today, and will probably begin to post a WIP on a separate thread.

Aly

Donna T
07-12-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm sure non-artists can't relate to our fear of wrecking a good piece of paper. It's just a piece of paper; not life and death, right? (Then why is my hand shaking and sweating as I approach that pristine piece of paper. Maybe I can just frame it like it is?) :lol: I look forward to your WIP! You have a PLAN and that's half the battle.

MatildaArt!
07-12-2017, 12:47 PM
I personally would say you far from inherently bad a figures, I like your style and I like this!😊

artelahe
07-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Thank you, MatildaArt. I'm getting a little excited, now.

DAK723
07-12-2017, 03:03 PM
As someone who specialized in figures, I can assure you that you are a natural at it! All the pitfalls of doing figures (poses stiff, too linear, poor proportions, lack of gesture, etc) are totally absent from your painting! Just keep doing what you did on this one! You have completely captured the gesture and movement (something I rarely get right)!

Don

artelahe
07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
As someone who specialized in figures, I can assure you that you are a natural at it! All the pitfalls of doing figures (poses stiff, too linear, poor proportions, lack of gesture, etc) are totally absent from your painting! Just keep doing what you did on this one! You have completely captured the gesture and movement (something I rarely get right)!

Don
Thanks Don. You saying that means a lot to me. Please keep an eye out for the upcoming WIP thread. Donna nailed it, above. It's one thing to be loose and free on an inexpensive surface. I found glassine to be VERY forgiving -- get it wromg and you can wipe it off! Sanded ground? Do I dare? That shoulder gesture and implied effort are what drives this, I think, and should be done "con brio!" (I hope I got that phrase right).

Stay tuned. This may take more than one attempt. But SOMETHING is going down on the pastel premiere before I go to bed tonight.

kcpiegirl
07-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Well that's beautiful! I love seeing these everyday scenes elevated to something special. Now I have to go look up what glassine is... :-)