PDA

View Full Version : Black Gijrl with Red Earring

mandalaToronto
07-09-2017, 02:46 PM
The photo turned out a bit washed out. The actual painting is a lot more intense in colour.
Done with pan pastels on watercolour paper.
Enjoy
mandalaToronto

water girl
07-09-2017, 06:17 PM
As you say, the colors may be a bit washed out in your photo, but evenwith less intensity, your color use is exciting.

artelahe
07-09-2017, 11:10 PM
I love your use of blues and purples. Can you take another picture and post an update?

mandalaToronto
07-12-2017, 11:14 AM
I looked at the original painting again and it DOES look pretty much like this photo. I guess I was just wishfully thinking the painting was better than the photo. I have problems getting a painting to look like the actual person but I guess that takes a lot of years of traiingl

artelahe
07-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Ok, for what it's worth, forget you are painting a person. My theory is that some things we can't help 'knowing'. And that 'knowing' impacts our drawing/painting. We aren't painting what the eye sees but what the mind thinks it knows. The problem is the mind is like a backseat driver, thinking it knows better than the eyes. The eyes KNOW. The Brain is noise. It exaggerates, it thinks it knows best, it can be as convincing as slick con artist. Just say 'no'. Repeatedly.

If you are painting from a photo, remind yourself that no matter what your brain says, the photo is flat. You are going from 2 dimension to 2 dimension. Flat to flat.

You can dissect the photo, print it, draw a grid on it (large or small) to help you think of where you are making a curve or highlighting a shape, or comparing to another points of reference. Think of it like painting a pizza with pieces removed. Some of it's a over curve or an under curve or a straight line but it's just a thing. Does that make sense? I hope it helps.

artelahe
07-12-2017, 09:33 PM
P. S. to my earlier post. I am striving to take my own advice, Rebecca, because I am starting my first figure painting. And it's helping.

Divasin
07-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Mandala, looks like you're enjoying experimenting with the medium.
Is that watercolour in the hair, then pan pastels?
There a lot of scope for variety with that approach.

mandalaToronto
07-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Divasan
Yes that is watercolour on the hair. Very perceptive of you to notice that.. I was wondering if anyone would notice. .