PDA

View Full Version : 2 Full Moons on Black Paper

Frances Obie
07-06-2017, 12:11 PM
I have been away for a while and thinking of some different subject matter for local landscapes. Around here oilfield trucks are very much a part of the landscape so I decided it was time to include them in a picture. Hence "Available Light". Truck Drivers love moonlight in the winter...way easier to see where they are going. The photo was out of focus but I liked the effect so I went with it. 8"x 10" on black Canson paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2017/93782-Available_Light.jpg
This one does not have a truck in it but the reference photo was taken from a truck. One of those super moons we had a while back made for a great view early in the morning. The view is from The Jedney, an oil lease road north of here. "View From The Jedney", 12" x 12", on black Canson paper. Thanks to my husband for the photos. C & C's welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2017/93782-View_From_The_Jedney.jpg

water girl
07-06-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm always impressed by the way you tell a story....simply. It's a talent and uniquely yours.

Donna T
07-07-2017, 09:02 AM
These are both very nice, Frances. It's as if the moon is keeping the driver company in the first one. You created a beautiful scene in the second painting! The black of your paper shows off the colors of the moon and sky so well.

Divasin
07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Simple, bold, effective!
Of course, my fav is the second with the interesting use of colour.:thumbsup:

Frances Obie
07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Thank you Donna, Karen and Leslie!

artelahe
07-18-2017, 09:09 AM
In my youth, so many decades ago that when you turned the lights off in your car while the motor was running, there were no running lights, no fog lights no automobile lights of any kind.. I can remember bright moonlight bathing the roads in the Vermont mountains, and turning off the car lights to drive by moonlight for as long as I could until I would see oncoming headlights and turn my own back on.

Was it safe? Of course not, but youth is stupid, reckless, and fearless in its ignorance. Those nights are some of my favorite visual memories, and if I could, if today's autos would let me, I might (ok, would) even do it again.

But late at night, where there isn't traffic.. of course!

I like the different feel of both paintings. The truck lights lighting the road ahead and to either side but not capturing the oncoming truck, and that moon hanging, beacon like, a Siren's call feels so real. I am in the cab of that truck.

As for your "View from Jedney" - this one could make me forget to eat, or sleep. I just want to look and look and look and look...

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you when you first posted. I looked at your paintings immediately but couldn't find the words to express how I felt about them.

Frances Obie
07-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Aly, thank you so much for sharing those memories!I really appreciate your comments and feel touched that you connected so strongly with my paintings.

Colourist52
08-19-2017, 04:24 AM
Hi Frances, Really like your compositions, especially the 2nd one! 😊

Frances Obie
08-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Thank you Julie!