07-17-2017, 06:03 AM
Just a bump as it is on this week.I will possibly go tomorrow

gollum
07-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Have fun :)

Trumper
07-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Have fun :)

Despite my best intentions the thought of 5-6 hours travelling and leaving the dogs on one of the hottest days of the year for most the day curtailed that idea :(

NeilF92
07-18-2017, 11:13 AM
The exhibition looks quite good on the net page . Some fine pieces of work on display.

Trumper
07-19-2017, 04:42 PM
The exhibition looks quite good on the net page . Some fine pieces of work on display.

There are some crackers but there are more than a few on this web site that would more than hold their own so to speak.That old chestnut about how much a painting costs ,well i have to say good luck to some of those selling ,some of the prices asked i suspect they will remain unsold.

Chas McHugh
07-22-2017, 04:41 AM
I have been critical of the GAvA over many years as I felt that the direction in which they travel was/is misguided. They cannot, or will not accept criticism on an open forum - which in itself is testament to the politics prevalent within.

My criticism has been born of frustration if I am honest, insofar as my believing that there is a place for excellence within the genre of Aviation Art, and if such excellence is achieved and displayed in London, then renumeration for the Artists must (or should) reflect their time and expertise in addition to the overheads of materials including framing, and three journeys to London. They being to hand in works - attend the exhibition - and recover unsold works. This is a very basic business model based on a mantra of self-sustaining. In summary; an Artist should not be out of pocket to have his/her artwork displayed in the countries Capital.

Third parties must not lose sight of the entrance fee, hanging fees, and commision for sold artwork. You can see that in short time the cataloque prices soon show that Artists are not getting a fair deal. They of course have the option to vote with their feet - and I did exactly that in 2005 forfeiting my post-nominal of AGAvA which I later found out is an award with conditions of payment. All of my other post nominals are lifetime awards without condition that were genuinely earned.

Of course if you want to attract a generous renumeration, you have to work for it. But what incentive is there to Artists if they are to subsequently give their work away. May I be forgiven for suggesting none at all.

So are these the words of a bitter old bloke? That is an understandable accusation; and so in support of my opinion, I would mention cataloque prices and quality of works over the 20 years since I first became involved in the GAvA and attended their London exhibition which in those days was in the basement of the Victory Services Club - far set from the grandiose of the Mall Gallery. The Artworks then were priced much higher than today, and sold. The minimum price was about 500 and some Coulsons were present for 10k. In my opinion, the event was fair, and Artists climbed the GAvA status ladder in parallel to their fees. Large canvas' were prevalent which today is discouraged. A good quality large canvas (36"x24" +) provides impact to a display - but takes up the room of two or more smaller, cheap artworks that attract commission if sold

For balance, I do not know if the annual exhibitions are deemed a success or not by the Guild Committee. I do know that austerity since 2008 is normal and that prices across all walks of UK life have plateaued since then. But should the exhibition of 2017 be less economically viable or fair to contributors Than it was in the late ninties?: I think not.

The artworks displayed are smaller - cheaper - and in my opinion at least - not as good. I sincerely and genuinely wish I was wrong; and I would hope that at some time in the future the excellence is restored.

vegaskip
07-22-2017, 06:56 AM
More or less my sentiments as well. I was in the 'Northen branch' for a while. For the Exhibition there were usually a couple of blokes who would drive down with members entries, and again to pick up returns. Obviously there was a charge, (not cheep). Or of course do it your self. Never did either. They used to have a local exhibition at East Fortune. Then the Museum of Flight got Concord, and the National Lottery conditions put a stop to that, and had so many condition that the Guild moved to Yorkshire. So that was it for me.
I keep being told I should join the ' Society of Marine Artists', but one look at the joining details on the web site was enough for me. I am more than happy as I am, (wish it had happened 20 years ago). I have a lot of new friends and my paintings have gone to places I would never have imagined they would. All being well (I'm not too mobile these days) I will be off to New York next month, as I have been invited to the launch of the Book 'Liberties War'. The painting I did for the cover is to go to the America Merchant Marine Academe Museum at Kings Point NY. where the event will take place.
I don't have any paintings in Galleries, not even my son's, I don't have a web site, I just post them on various sites like here.
Works for me!
Jim