PDA

View Full Version : Bolder Rock Formations

Marilyn Ann
07-04-2017, 06:38 PM
I am still enjoying depicting the amazing rock formations of Colorado. In these two paintings I have attempted to intensify color with a bolder underpainting in watercolor before adding pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2017/1985962-IMG_7086_cropped_800.jpg

Standing Strong
I have laid down strong color where the rock faces were to be developed but also used some of the same color where the trees were to be worked. Initially the underpainting seemed too strong but as I worked on the rock contours and shadows I found this not so. It was exciting to see the under color peaking through, unifying the whole rock shape.

The thing that disturbs me most about this is the posture of the the formation. The way it leans to the left makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps I should have done some redesigning instead of sticking so close to the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2017/1985962-IMG_7152_cropped_800.jpg

A Distant View

As I worked on this one, laying down lots of watercolor it became a watercolor! There is some pastel work, but mostly watercolor. Maybe I'll work on it some more.

Your C and C are always welcome.

Donna T
07-05-2017, 10:22 AM
These are both really nice, Marilyn Ann. Your use of bolder underpaintings makes the rocks seem much more substantial. At least with a bold underpainting you have the option of toning it down when you add the pastels. I don't mind the slight lean of the rock formation especially since the tree on the left is straight. The way the colors blend in the rocks of the second one is really beautiful. The trees in pastel are an interesting contrast in texture.

water girl
07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I like this series. Like Donna said, your underpainting is a base. You can change the values and color with your pastels. If the rock in the first painting is in a recognizable landscape, then there is nothing wrong with leaving it as is. If not, you are the artist, and have the ability to change it or not. Aside from that, they are both well done! :thumbsup:

huanghehe
07-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Beautiful work! I wonder what paper you used. Thanks much!

Marilyn Ann
07-06-2017, 01:03 PM
My paper is Fabrianno, Cold Press, 140 #; one of my favorite surfaces for watercolor; just enough tooth.