PDA

View Full Version : Pencil-like behavior

DoctorT
07-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Hi!

I am a newbie using Corel PSP X7 / Krita 3.1.4 and I have a Wacom Intuos Pro (Small) v. 6.3.22-6 tablet all of which are running under Windows 7 Pro (64 bit).

I just started drawing and I don't like the way the pen behaves. What can I change so that the pen behaves more like a manual pencil on paper?

Thank you!

Doctor T

Yorky
07-03-2017, 07:27 AM
I think with Krita you can use pressure sensitivity, you need the brush controls.

Doug

LavenderFrost
07-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Did you try different brushes? Maybe you would prefer a program more geared toward imitating natural media? Of course, it will always be a little different. You might just need to get used to it.

DoctorT
07-04-2017, 11:06 AM
... Krita ... Dear Doug,

Thank you for your reply.

Doctor T

DoctorT
07-04-2017, 11:13 AM
... a program more geared toward imitating natural media ... Dear LavenderFrost,

Because of learning curves, for the time being, I'll stick to PSP and Krita.

Doctor T

Elainepsq
07-05-2017, 10:50 AM
I've always felt comfortable with a wacom tablet, but never with the pencil tool. Somehow, it just doesn't behave like a real pencil. I once read, that if you put a piece of paper over your wacom, it will have the same feel as a pencil, with a little of drag rather than gliding over the smooth surface of the tablet. I imagine you'd wouldn't want a paper that is too heavy, or bumpy, but it's worth a shot.... maybe copy paper?

DoctorT
07-06-2017, 06:51 AM
... copy paper ... Dear Elaine,

Doctor T

Rage of Reason
08-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I found an option for this in Corel PhotoPaint (but I'm sure PS also has something similar) in defining custom brushes. Just draw a few irregularly shaped brushes of different tone and create a custom brush from it. Make sure it rotates while drawing to create a natural effect. I usually make them between 120 and 200 pixels and when I use them I resize the to pencil thickness. It gives natural looking pencil lines, especially when using high transparency and drawing manually along the same direction in order to obtain the desired opacity.