PDA

View Full Version : The Spotlight - July 2017 - Canada

DAK723
06-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere.

And, remember, no critiques unless specifically asked for.

The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month were taken by me or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month’s Spotlight is on…Canada!

Tomorrow (July 1st) is Canada Day - and as was mentioned the other day on the Spotlight - this is Canada's 150th anniversary! So I thought why not celebrate the anniversary of my wonderful neighbor to the north by putting some of Canada's glorious landscapes into the Spotlight!

Living in Rochester, NY, USA, Canada is just across Lake Ontario - and only about 90 minutes away by car. So I've been to Niagara Falls and Toronto many times. In fact, in the days before the internet and online shopping, my Mother and I used to go to the Eaton Centre in Toronto every year where she would buy a particular brand of shoes that could not be found in Rochester. I would walk over to a science fiction book store (can't remember the name now...) that had a large collection of used books! Those trips were exciting, especially if I could find some book that I might have been looking for for years! Today's youth will never know the thrill of the hunt, as almost any used book can be quite boringly found and purchased online.

But I digress...

Canada certainly is home to many beautiful landscapes and wonderful wildlife. I just wish I had photos of some of them! Luckily, our reference library does have some, and I thank those folks that contribute their photos to it.

When I was young, our family did take a summer vacation up through Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I remember if fondly, but being a teenager, I didn't have a good camera and probably took no photos. I'm sure my Mom or Dad took some family photos on the beach, but I will spare everyone the experience of looking at any of those!

But I digress...

OK, here are the References! Let's celebrate and enjoy Canada's anniversary!

Photo by mbeckett (Canadian Rockies)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-ref-1Banff_by_mbeckett.jpg

Photo by tstimpson (somewhere in Ontario)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-ref-2-Ontario_by_tstimpson.jpg

Photo by Kitty69 (British Columbia)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-ref-3-British_Columbia_by_Kitty69.jpg

Photo by lisilk (Canadian Geese)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-ref-4_GoslingsFourMomma_by_lisilk.jpg

Photo by Pippen (Fisgard Lighthouse)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-ref-5_Fisgard_Lighthouse_by_Pippin.jpg

Photo by sundiver (somewhere on Prince Edward Island)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/82335-lupinesinjune_by_sundiver.jpg

Feel free to crop and recompose the pics as much as you want. And feel free to work from and share any photos you may have of Canada!

Have fun!

Shallbe
07-02-2017, 12:43 AM
I painted a landscape from Canada... I'll have to see if I can find a photo and post. I sent it to my friend in Canada who had taken the reference photo.

But I like the geese and the white tree trunk and the Prince Edward Island photos above, too, so I'll see if I can get one or two done

shallbe

Divasin
07-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Great variety of photos...it'll be hard to decide where to start:cool:

I'm just north (west) of Rochester in Kingston Ontario.
That's on the border and I can relate to your shopping adventures.
There was a time when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar so the cross border shopping went the other way around:lol:

But I digress...

Having traveled across Canada a few times there are toooo many images running around in my head.... I'll try and get organized....

Meanwhile "Happy Fourth of July"

Any other holidays we should be celebrating Folks!:wave:

Save

Still-trying
07-02-2017, 10:47 AM
What a nice Spotlight Don. Thank you. And great references. I love that tree trunk! Tomorrow's project!!!

Hope you have a great year-long celebration, Canada. We will be going to Vancouver Island in the fall, so we'll join in the fun. Great scenery.

Still-trying
07-03-2017, 11:22 AM
I tried the tree trunk. This is Uart 240, (rough) with mostly Blue Earth pastels and a few Art Spectrum. 9 x 12. Thank you, Tstimpson for the reference and thank you DON for putting this up. I love this reference!
All comments welcome....Feel free to critique. I would rather have an honest comment please. I could do more but I thought I was starting to "pick" at it. Thank you

Judibelle
07-03-2017, 05:27 PM
I really like this, Still Trying....the color combinations really hold it together in a beautiful way.

Still-trying
07-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Thank you, Judibelle. Nice to have you visit. Are you painting? I'd love to see some work.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY...we can all enjoy the day no matter who we are.

nachele
07-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Hey :)

Happy B.Day to Canada from Italy too!

I've never been to Canada, but I have friends who are italo-canadian, and they told me something about their youth there...especially about the cold Montreal winter :D

Also, happy 4th of July to all US friends here, last year I was in Nashville the 4th of July, and there was an amazing firework show! A nice memory!

I started painting the Canadian Geese, to try a new subject, hope to finish it very soon and share it with you.

DAK723
07-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Jay, Very nice painting! I think you have caught the atmosphere and essence of the scene very well!

Happy July 4th to all of us in the USA!

Don

Still-trying
07-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Thank you Don. I was surprised that I liked the rough paper. Always something to learn. That is a beautiful reference!

Nick7
07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Happy 4th of July! :)

Don, what a nice idea! We could go around the globe with pastels! I can't imagine yet taking pastels on a trip because they can get so messy :) This would be fun.

Jay, very nice painting. I like the contrast in the lower area. And the thin tree in front of the big one. What I like in the photo is the light coming through the treetops and flickering on the branches. Your painting looks like an edge of the forest, bathing in the sun. I like it too! :)

My pastels have been collecting dust for couple of months now. I need to do something about it...

Fana
07-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Don, very nice photos, hard to decide which one to do. I'm still working on pictures from last month. I was waiting for good weather here so I could work outside on the deck.... now of course it is too hot! :)

Jay - very nice tree trunk, you are quick!

Still-trying
07-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Nick, so nice to see you. Thank you. I was trying for the flickering light but I think a cloud came by....... come paint with us!

Thank you Fana. It's in the contemplation spot. There are always a few places. I need to do a pastel painting repair day and linenthem up and do those little touches. Yeah..right?

Shallbe
07-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Well, I was able to find the Canada scene I painted WAAAAYYYY last year (the photo is dated August). Looking at it now I can see so many things wrong with it, but I was so proud of it at the time. I did gift it to the friend who took the photo.

One reason I was proud of it was due to the fact that in the reference photo, the fence was actually a guardrail, and my friend and I discussed how out of context it seemed. So I changed it to a fence. I think I'm still proud of that fence.

Now I know a lot more about aerial perspective.

Anyhow, this is Canada Hay, on 16X12 Daler-Rowney Murano (which I've grown to hate, actually), probably used both PanPastels and student grade Mungyo sticks on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2017/1988178-JoHobbitsCanadaHay_640x511.jpg

shallbe
(who is really in here to grab a couple of the ref photos so she can actually complete a spotlight for once before school starts again.)

nachele
07-05-2017, 04:42 AM
Shallbe, lf you want my honest opinion, your forest is really beautiful! It really seems that you are on the edge and it's inviting you to get into the deep of the forest with the harmonious color combination you choose.

I especially like the style, let's say loose but with details. It's one of my goals, but I still have no idea on how to reach it, guess "practice" is the solution.
If I try, it just looks messy, so I try to detail everything - you can just guess how I am struggling with the goose of the ref pic I choose :rolleyes: I will never finish it in time :D

And I really like the fence in the other painting, you did a great job in substituting the guardrail with it :)

Divasin
07-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Jay, you chose my favourite pic and it is lovely! You captured all the complexity of the woods but it is still light and airy.:clap:

Shallbe, it's great to see a scene from the prairies...miles of hay bales for as far as the eye can see!:thumbsup:

Shallbe
07-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Nat, I think you meant the following part of your post for Jay, who painted the tree.

"lf you want my honest opinion, your forest is really beautiful! It really seems that you are on the edge and it's inviting you to get into the deep of the forest with the harmonious color combination you choose.

I especially like the style, let's say loose but with details. It's one of my goals, but I still have no idea on how to reach it, guess "practice" is the solution.
If I try, it just looks messy, so I try to detail everything - you can just guess how I am struggling with the goose of the ref pic I choose I will never finish it in time "

shallbe

nachele
07-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Shallbe and Jay Sorry to both of you, I read the whole thread at once and got confused! Sorry again, please reda the first parr for Jay and the second for shallbe!

robertsloan2
07-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Great photos and theme, Don. Love the geese especially, since those fly all the way down here. Gorgeous mountains. So many temptations.

Jay, wow. Love what you've done so far with the tree. My suggestion is that where you've negative painted with black, you could bring in some other dark and mid value colors so that they aren't all sharp-edged - just stage through to the lights you have with some deep greens and mid greens and some violets, maybe turquoise. I don't know what colors you have available but the stark edges of the black bits are a bit spotty. I was looking at the foliage across the street and noticed larger dark areas with masses of blue-greens within them, grayed violets, colors close to the deepest darks merging up into the hues of the lit foliage. You don't have to stick to the reference verbatim, the reference has probably blackened some of those other darks and lightened some of the mid values.

Your forest is beautiful. I'd just shade out from those darks - not all around them, just play with the light reflecting and do that on a third or two thirds of the edges, including darkening some leaf shapes and masses to mid value. Optical softening more than physical softening because your negative painting is so beautiful as itself!

Two whole paragraphs to say it. Don't overdo that. I just see it on the edges of the dark spots in the foliage across the street, as it turns there's this narrow mid-shaded bit.

Shallbe, yours is eerie. Your fence is great, it's in good perspective and I like the Queen Anne's Lace, also the colors and choices in the whole painting feel dry and cold, nothing like the moist soggy meadows down here. It has a great sense of climate, feels very Northern.

Still-trying
07-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Shallbe, I really like your fence and those wild flowers. Perhaps Queen Ann's lace. Very lovely.

Leslie, Thank you. There are parts that bother me. The upper tree on the left. Needs..........something. And should I put a few defined leaves up close near base. Hmmmmm..... they are never finished!

Shallbe, if you think Nat's comment was to me, I'll answer as if it were:: Nat, I paint with the side of my sticks pretty much. Sometimes a wiggle mark near the tip. Almost never a defined MARK. maybe that's what you call loose? And this rough sandpaper, 240, took the powdery pastels right in. After I had a layer, I pushed over it with a Viva paper towel, (clothlike) on my fingertip, on the darks, especially, to extend them and to get some haziness. I'm a big chicken when it comes to making a mark. That's why everything has a slight blur.

Robert. Nice to see you! Thank you. Those isolated dark areas are slated for something. They were jumping out at me. Some kind of repair. Thanks for suggesting how I can do it. The question is IF I can do it. Wow,...sounds hard! I'll read again and absorb your suggestions before I start on it. Maybe a bit of practice too. Thanks so much.

Will you be joining us?

DAK723
07-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Shallbe, Nice job on your Canada painting! You did a nice job of replacing the guard rail with a far more artistic choice!

Don

Shallbe
07-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Thanks, Don; And that was last year, too, when I had only been painting a few months!
Lol...I think things have gone downhill since.

shallbe

Divasin
07-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Leslie, Thank you. There are parts that bother me. The upper tree on the left. Needs..........something. And should I put a few defined leaves up close near base. Hmmmmm..... they are never finished!

Jay, As I said earlier I like your adaptation of the original photo.
Instead of trying to explain I've made some changes to your piece...hope you don't mind.
As Robert said the blacks are quite strong so they've been softened, particularly the farther they are from the focal point.
That tree you were unsure about has also been softened.
I've slightly brightened the red areas as they are the focal point.

These are all very subjective choices so can be easily disregarded.:smug:
At some point I put away the photo reference and usually walk away for a while
so I can see the painting as a painting and not be influenced by all the photo detail....if that makes sense:rolleyes:.
Cheers Leslie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2017/1500147-IMG_3557-01.jpg

Save
SaveSave

Still-trying
07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Leslie, THANKS! What fun! I get to watch while someone else does all the work! I love the brighter leaves. I was holding back there. Also want to put a few of the closer green ones. A few.
I see where you softened the backs. That helps.
The far side of the tree is bothering me, down low and up high. I'll still work on that. I have to look at your work side by side with mine to see the tree changes.

Thank you for doing this. A lot of work. Now, I'll put coffee on if you want to come help with the real deal? I'll even get some happy birthday Canada cake!

robertsloan2
07-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Leslie, wow, great improvement! That's exactly what I was talking about, just putting some values between the light and the black irregularly to give a livelier effect and connect some of the blacks. Better depth now. Brightening the red was a great choice too, it's gorgeous!

Divasin
07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Thank you for doing this. A lot of work. Now, I'll put coffee on if you want to come help with the real deal? I'll even get some happy birthday Canada cake!

Jay, coffee cake, pastels I'm on my way:D:D:DCheers Leslie!

Still-trying
07-08-2017, 03:17 PM
I'll make enough for everyone!

artelahe
07-09-2017, 01:49 PM
I tried the tree trunk. This is Uart 240, (rough) with mostly Blue Earth pastels and a few Art Spectrum. 9 x 12. Thank you, Tstimpson for the reference and thank you DON for putting this up. I love this reference!
All comments welcome....Feel free to critique. I would rather have an honest comment please. I could do more but I thought I was starting to "pick" at it. Thank you

Hi Jay, I really like your unequal tree spacings and treatment of the negative spaces As the eye travels into the woods. I struggle with uneven spacing. It's a skill I envy and strive for.

Something to maybe think about: I know that little vertical tree is in front of the big birch in the reference, but its strong, narrow and light presence detracts from your story of the birch and red leaves. If you would still like it to be in the painting, I might suggest moving it to the left, not splitting the birch in any way, and making it a darker value than the big trunk. Let me know what you think.

Aly

Shallbe
07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Had a go at the same reference that Jay tried...not super happy with it, it's "ugly stage" lasted a long time. It doesn't have the feel that satisfies me, so when I have time, I hope to do it again. (p.s. how do y'all find time to paint???)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2017/1988178-SomewhereintheCanadianForests.jpg

5X7
Canson Touch
Pans and sticks pastels

Appreciate any thoughts you might have!

shallbe

nachele
07-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Shallbe, well I already commented your forest before you painted it :D Aside from jokes, I really like the green you choose for the lower part, like an emerald forest, and it contrasts nicely with the light upper part, so soft! I think you captured well the light of the painting!

I have problems painting lately because of the hot weather, hope you live in colder places cause in the last days it's been like living in an oven down here! And I feel so lazy that I can't even pick up pastels!

Moreover I'm a bit stuck with the goose plummage, I've been doing some researches on the forum but I didn't find anything specifically on feathers, do you have any suggestions or references?

Jay yes my comment was directed to you, sorry, I confused the nicknames cause I was reading quickly from my phone :) I said "loose" but you understood what I meant, english is not my mother language and I sometimes miss the words to express myself fully! I tend to use marks a lot, I should force myself to do some works using just the side of the pastels, to try to avoid getting obsessed by details and losing so much time without getting what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestions :)

Still-trying
07-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Aly, I'm so pleased that you liked the uneven spacing of the trees. I tried hard with that. Thanks for noticing! Jackie Simmonds used to visit the Spotlight often and she made a point about uneven spaces that stuck in my brain. I'm trying to remember all this!!

Shallbe, I like your painting very much! What's not to like! The light on the tree truck is gorgeous. Since the light comes low on your tree, from the side, how about a couple of sunlit leaves on the red ones. And done! It's really lovely.

Still-trying
07-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Aly. That little tree. He just snuck in there. I was hoping he was pale enough not to be noticed much. But he did split the tree vertically. Thanks for pointing out that he is a distraction. Hopefully he will recede a bit when I put brighter red on those reddish leaves.
The hardest thing in pastel, for me, is to hold back the marks you need to make at the end. When all the underlayers are done.
The next hardest thing for me is to actually MAKE those marks at the end!!!
Maybe if I smudge a part of that skinny tree and put a couple of those red leaves...uh oh...here comes picky picky!!
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate. We learn from constructive comments IMHO.

Still-trying
07-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Nat, sorry you are suffering from heat there. That can take all energy. I wasn't really making a suggestion to you..I was just saying how I work.

Your English is beautiful. Never fear. You are quite proficient! I'm so glad you have joined us.

You are brave to do the goose. I have no suggestions about plumage or feathers. I've been too CHICKEN to try that one! :lol:

DAK723
07-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Shallbe, I would say your painting is quite lovely! The greens you have chosen work wonderfully with the orange leaves! Nicely done!

Don

artelahe
07-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Had a go at the same reference that Jay tried...not super happy with it, it's "ugly stage" lasted a long time. It doesn't have the feel that satisfies me, so when I have time, I hope to do it again. (p.s. how do y'all find time to paint???)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2017/1988178-SomewhereintheCanadianForests.jpg

5X7
Canson Touch
Pans and sticks pastels

Appreciate any thoughts you might have!

shallbe

Shallbe, I like the cool moistness of the shadows and would like to walk into your painting. Your color choices are exciting!

Shallbe
07-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Well, it seems that using the color wheel app I got for my phone really helped my painting, as almost everyone has commented on that!

I chose the peachy orange and then let the app choose the right green.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

shallbe

artelahe
07-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Well, it seems that using the color wheel app I got for my phone really helped my painting, as almost everyone has commented on that!

I chose the peachy orange and then let the app choose the right green.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

shallbe

?? What ap, pray tell??

Shallbe
07-10-2017, 11:11 PM
It's just called "Color Wheel". I have an Android, so there app can be found in Google play store.

Let me know if you try it out.

shallbe

Divasin
07-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Shallbe, Love your colour scheme and will definitely be checking out the colour wheel.

Speaking of the "ugly stage" hows this!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2017/1500147-the_ugly_stage.jpg
SaveSave

Divasin
07-11-2017, 09:59 AM
The "ugly stage" part 02.

Pine trees are pretty iconic in Canadian landscape painting so I chose one of my photos to paint for the challenge.
To test myself I posted this as a step by step on my blog. It was a fun exercise!
My usual collection of pastels,Rembrandts, Sennelier, Richesons on 3M 1000 grit sandpaper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2017/1500147-Bonnechere_Demo_final.jpg
Save
Save

Still-trying
07-11-2017, 11:11 AM
I guess you put the wrong painting up because I saw "potential" stage and then a beautiful painting. Love love what you have going on there. Nice work.

artelahe
07-12-2017, 12:12 AM

Speaking of the "ugly stage" hows this!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2017/1500147-the_ugly_stage.jpg
SaveSave

Leslie, to my eye, your ugly stage is stunningly beautiful. It grabs me, holds my attention. It was raw, deeply emotional, and soothing all at the same time.

Of course, in the earlier, looser stage, it could be the everglades just as easily as it could be pine forest. That's the trouble with and delicious nature of realistic abstracts!

Thank you for showing both versions!

Aly

DAK723
07-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Leslie, Lovely painting! So very peaceful! And I agree with Aly, your "ugly" stage isn't ugly at all, and already contains all the elements of your beautiful finish!

Don

Divasin
07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Aly and Don, thanks for the feedback!
I've mentioned previously an admiration
for the bold style of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.
It doesn't come naturally to me but think it is quite suitable for the pastel medium.
This is a Tom Thomson sketch (his medium oil)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2017/1500147-Tom_Thomson_scene.jpg
SaveSave

Fana
07-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Leslie, I love your 'ugly stage', it just needs a bit of adjustment for the pink in the sky.

artelahe
07-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Aly and Don, thanks for the feedback!
I've mentioned previously an admiration
for the bold style of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven.
It doesn't come naturally to me but think it is quite suitable for the pastel medium.
This is a Tom Thomson sketch (his medium oil)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2017/1500147-Tom_Thomson_scene.jpg
SaveSave

Leslie, that is a beautiful sketch you posted of Tomson's.

I am stumbling for words here. I often visualize or have a strong sense of how I want a painting to look when finished. As I paint, I am piloting toward that visualization, course set. Heaven forbid I change course! How many times have I looked back and thought, "This painting would have looked better before I added or did 'this, that, or the other'." Or, "That doesn't look like me/mine." when it could be the new me/mine, if I listened. If I let it.

This makes me wonder.. Why does it have to end up the way it was originally visualized? Why does the result have to match? Am I too impatient, excited to 'get there' that I forget that the journey may disclose something I'm ignoring in my rush? Maybe something more organic? Which makes me further wonder how soon will I ignore what I just wondered in favor of that mad rush to match my visualization next time?

Hmm, I may have to change my signature to: Paint what you fear, but stop worrying about the destination.

DAK723
07-13-2017, 07:03 PM
I'll admit that I was unfamiliar with Tom Thomson until Leslie mentioned him a few months ago. Definitely had a bold, direct style! Since many of his works are so direct and "unblended," they offer a good look at the process and how paintings can be blocked in with larger shapes of flat color. Definitely glad that Leslie mentioned him - a very fine artist!

Don

Divasin
07-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Aly, The points you make I think, are shared by many of us in the struggle to find our style.
I worked for many years as a porcelain artist/instructor, work that required careful planning as a piece is developed over several firings in the kiln.
No spontaneity allowed!
In switching to pastels I'm trying to respond to my travels and environment in a bolder/freer way.

Your words "listening", "impatient"," excited", "organic" are spot on!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2017/1500147-Leslies_clematis.jpg
SaveSave

artelahe
07-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Leslie, what a beautiful plate! I can well understand needing it to come out exactly as planned.

I appreciate you responding to my philosophical meandering.

Still-trying
07-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Aly, your description of your thinking as you paint ...is exactly what keeps me coming back to painting. The "what if" and "should I have" keep pastels fresh for me. And I LOVE you new motto, "paint what you fear,". Good for you! May I suggest: "and have fun doing it."? I'm looking forward to seeing your fearless work!

Still-trying
07-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Leslie, your painted plate is lovely. I'm sure you're enjoying the freedom now. Your work shows the free spirit!!!

DAK723
07-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Leslie, that plate is lovely! As you may know, Renoir began as a porcelain painter!

Don

ColorEnthusiast
07-22-2017, 02:19 PM
After a two month break, I finally found the time to do some pastel work.
A good Challenge thread this month. The Canada references are beautiful and the shown paintings are well done and interesting.

I decided to try the Lighthouse but changed the mood to get more darks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2017/1975780-DSC00032_small.jpg

C&C always welcome

Esther

Still-trying
07-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Esther, I like your painting very much...especially the sky and the distant sky. Very very beautiful. Very interesting colors in the ground surface, I like that too.

Still-trying
07-24-2017, 01:19 PM
In the spirit of Canada, I tried. Let's say I tried.

This is actually a handsome guy and a darling little girl in Quebec. They had just climbed about five flights of stairs after buying their bread. Notice i said "handsome" since the guy I portrayed is anything but! and the darling child...Let's just say I don't do people! But I had to get it out of my system. Ok, it's out of my system.

It was fun to try to do the jeans. and the suede and leather jacket. My paper is PastelMat and the pastels are some Girault, a couple of Roché and some pastel pencils. I won't correct this. I'll let it be a lesson to me. We're going back to Canada this fall. They may not let me in!!!!!

Feel free to C and C. I know the little girl's face is too wide. I have no clue as to how to improve the man's face. Poor man, I tried!!

Divasin
07-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Esther, you've captured that changeable east coast weather perfectly!
Those threatening skies add drama.

DAK723
07-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Esther, Very lovely painting of the lighthouse! Land, sea, sky, all nicely done!

Jay, You've done a fine job on the man and the girl! With something this size, it's the overall gestures and postures that are important - not small details such as the faces! The little girl's face looks really good - the man's...perhaps a little less detail!

Don

Still-trying
07-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks Don. I think the man in my painting might like a little less as nose! That was hard! I'll stick to my landscapes. For the best.

Divasin
07-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Jay, I agree with Don...overall effective but perhaps too much detail?
It's a lesson I have to keep learning...implying detail rather than showing too much
....which leads me to my offering of Prairie Skies from a photo taken while traveling across Canada.

I've struggled with this and there's something not quite right...so suggestions welcome!
My usual materials...Rembrandts, Senneliers, Richesons on 1000 grit sandpaper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2017/1500147-Canadian_Prairies_resize.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2017/1500147-Canadian_Prairies_photo_resize.jpg

SaveSaveSaveSave

Still-trying
07-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Leslie, the sky is just beautiful BEAUTIFUL in the painting. It recedes perfectly. I suspect we need something, structures maybe, to show the recession on the land part. To lead us to the distance?

I took similar photos out in Wyoming, from the car, and didn't paint them for the same reason. So vast...but how to show it?

About the man and little girl. Thanks. If I put up the photo, can you demo how you would show the faces, you and DON too? If you're not too busy. I didn't want them to look like those things on tv where they just blur faces to hide identities!!

Still-trying
07-26-2017, 10:26 AM
This is my photo from Quebec. The walk for the daily bread. anyone who wishes to try, feel free.

Divasin
07-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Jay, I don't do figures:crying:/people:envy:/dogs:eek: etc either but I'll give it a go!:smug:

ColorEnthusiast
07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Thank you for your kind comments Don and Leslie.

Wow, Leslie that is a wonderful sky. With the subtle color changing and the clouds you managed to indicate a great depth.

Jay your figures are very vivid and gestures and postures are well done.

Esther

Still-trying
07-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Leslie, I'm anxious to see. Thanks.

Thank you Esther. Will you give those figures a try too?

DAK723
07-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Leslie, very nice prairie skies! As Jay mentions, great recession in the sky! Since you are looking for comments, my only possible suggestion is to put in a few clouds exiting the painting off the top and possibly side to suggest that the sky continues beyond the painting. I know this is often more difficult than it sounds as you don't want to lead the eye out of the painting. It is something I have had difficulty with in my work forever - giving scenes a little bit of a vignette look when I don't really want to! I'll send you a PM with suggestions.

Don

Divasin
07-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Jay, I did enjoy this project...there is little detail but the photo says so much about this dad and daughter.
As I don't do many figures I worked in charcoal in order to not be confused by the colour and to concentrate on form and the sense of movement.
I'm not too happy with his right shoulder but didn't want to keep you waiting.
Comments welcome, of course:smug:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2017/1500147-Quebec_Dad.jpg

Save

Still-trying
07-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Leslie, THEY LOOK GREAT! Nothing wrong with his shoulder! And you got her sweet little face. (And her determined mouth from all that stair climbing.) Nice way you suggested his features. Thank you for doing them. That was sweet of you.

ColorEnthusiast
07-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Ok, here is my version of the two.
The father became a bit too dark, but I stay with this.
Pastel pencils on Pastelmat 24 x30 cm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2017/1975780-DSC03011_2_small.jpg

C&C always welcome

Esther

Divasin
07-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Jay and Esther...now Esther has done what I wanted to do,:o simplified the figures without losing the expression:)! Nice!

Still-trying
07-29-2017, 06:11 AM
Good job, Esther! And you even got the hat right! That was tricky. I see how you did the man's face, thank you. And you have captured the little girls determination! Very nice. Thanks for doing this.

DAK723
07-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Very nice job on the man and daughter, Leslie and Esther! I think a Spotlight on People might be in our future if folks are interested.

Don

Divasin
07-29-2017, 12:36 PM
" A Spotlight on People" sounds good to me!

ColorEnthusiast
07-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Thank you for your kind comments, Leslie, Jay and Don.

Jay, it is getting easier if you think in areas instead of lines. The mans nose is just a lighter triangle in the darker oval.
And yes the beret was difficult. It was the part I struggled most with.

Leslie, I like your charcoal sketch. But maybe it is easier to have also a i kind of light/white color and start with mid tones and then go into both directions, light and dark.

Don, why not. I will try to join if I find enough time for my pastels.
But small figure studies are quicker done than large landscapes. :)

Esther

Still-trying
07-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Esther. Believe it or not, I was trying for shapes. Practice practice!!!

I need practice in figures. Would be great if we work some in, Don! Thank you

DAK723
07-31-2017, 10:16 PM
A Spotlight on figures will be in the future - maybe in September!

Next month I am going on vacation and I hope everyone will join me!

Don