PDA

View Full Version : Another Lighthouse

Rosebud
07-10-2001, 06:46 PM
Here's another one !

Did this for Leaflin's project.

Thanks for looking. Comments/constructive remarks VERY welcome!

Rose

Javier
07-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Rose, I like your "Lighthouse", but if you have read any of my other post on lighthouse painting you know I do.

What is the name of this lighthouse? Did you paint it from a picture? And the paper and size of your original painting.

I think your painting is bold (head on to the main house) and very well composed.

Thanks and I enjoyed the viewing.

The Best,

ameliajordan
07-10-2001, 08:38 PM
good job. I'll be looking to see which lighthouse and what size, etc. Wonderful sky - interesting bold composition. To me the lighthouse is tipping back but I don't know why. If you make any changes, you might vary the color of the trees more imho.

Rosebud
07-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Amelia & Javier,

This is "Assateague" Lighthouse in Virginia. It is the first of Leaflin's reference photos on the project page. Red is my favorite color, so this one caught my eye. Look at the reference photo ..the trees were even darker on both sides.

It's 11X15 on 300#Fabriano..Actually there is more foreground in the original...wouldn't all fit in the scanner.

It does kinda look like you're standing right down below it...and it's TOWERING above you to the sky. This was about a 3 hour painting...I'm striving to "loosen" up and not make sure every line is perfectly straight !

Rose

taghera
07-10-2001, 09:25 PM
Wonderful sky, nice bold colours on the lighthouse, perhaps if you gave your trees/bushes a broken edge to the tops it would help. Good painting anyhow. :)

NorahT
07-10-2001, 10:36 PM
Well done - with a beautiful sky!

The curved lines around the lighthouse may be causing the tipping back, but may also be what gives the "towering" feeling.

A great addition to the lighthouse project.

Rod
07-12-2001, 07:06 AM
I like your contrast of red against the green, Nice composition.
Agree with Hugh a broken effect on top tree foliage would help and the odd sky hole,
Rod.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 04:21 PM
Rose
Thank You so much for adding this to the art project.
This is one of my more favorite Lighthouses and have paid it many visits.
I have photos of my daughters standing at the base on numerous summers.
It is a towering lighthouse and has a strong presence.
You have done an excellent job at capturing this presence.

If anyone else is interested in having a look at, or joining the Lighthouse project, follow the link below.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.msql?proj_id=66

Rosebud
07-12-2001, 10:13 PM
Thanks..all,
for your comments and helpful tips.
I really appreciate it !
I enjoyed doing my lighthouse.
Leaflin...what a great project idea:)

Rose