PDA

View Full Version : Another b&w

Luke Taft
06-29-2017, 03:05 AM
I enjoy sharing my portraits here. Just to clarify, I shoot for likeness rather than an exact copy of the photo. This subject was commissioned with a request to shed some lbs. I usually use photos and play with the contrast to make it a piece of art. To really shed lbs, you have to find the underlying muscle and bone structure. My last post was stylized to create the perception of lower weight and I received critique on accuracy of the photograph compared to the finished piece rather than likeness of the subject for the purpose of a successful commission (it was). I still learn from the critique, so thank you!

18"x24" (17.5x21.5 matted) white and black Mungyo with a couple of touches of charcoal pencil on 98lb Canson white multi-media paper. C&C always welcome. Please keep in mind that critique of subject likeness and intent with the portrait is what I'm in search of by posting. :) I look forward to any input...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2017/1964809-ps-framed_680x800.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2017/1964809-17203209_10212909507439571_7719894376014576295_n.jpg

artelahe
06-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Hi Luke, overall, very nice job. I would shorten and slightly widen the highlight on her nose to make her nose shorter while retaining the same lift as the photo. You could round her nostrils and chin a bit more, and maybe curl her smile up a little? Those delicate collar bones you gave her are a wonderful touch.

Luke Taft
06-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Hi Luke, overall, very nice job. I would shorten and slightly widen the highlight on her nose to make her nose shorter while retaining the same lift as the photo. You could round her nostrils and chin a bit more, and maybe curl her smile up a little? Those delicate collar bones you gave her are a wonderful touch.
Thank you. Great suggestions. I was worried about rounding her chin too much and actually went back and forth a few times with it, but in hindsight I think you're right, a happy medium would have been better. Definitely with the nose highlight to keep the correct depth. I got a little carried away with the thinning attempt and her nose has become longer. I am 5"9 and 125 lbs, so I was just feeling around on my own face thinking about where fat could pocket up. Unfortunately this one is signed sealed and delivered. On the bright side, he digs it and wants more so I will use this and other valuable info received in private messages for upcoming work.

Luke Taft
06-30-2017, 12:13 AM
Hi Luke, overall, very nice job. I would shorten and slightly widen the highlight on her nose to make her nose shorter while retaining the same lift as the photo. Thank you. Great suggestions. I was worried about rounding her chin too much and actually went back and forth a few times with it, but in hindsight I think you're right, a happy medium would have been better. Definitely with the nose highlight to keep the correct depth. I got a little carried away with the thinning attempt and her nose has become longer. I am 5"9 and 125 lbs, so I was just feeling around on my own face thinking about where fat could pocket up. Unfortunately this one is signed sealed and delivered. On the bright side, he digs it and wants more so I will use this and other valuable info received in private messages for upcoming work.