PDA

View Full Version : On Point > Foreground Help request

artelahe
06-28-2017, 02:26 PM
I've tried this 3 times now. I think the 3rd is working better, closer to the style of the rest of the painting but still not there somehow. I don't want to take away from the area of interest, but also don't want a dead or too busy foreground. C&C please.

Donna T
06-28-2017, 05:11 PM
This is really nice, Aly! I like the fog or mist rising off the water and the way the little tree stands out against it. I like your first version the best and played around with some changes in Photoshop. I hope you don't mind me posting what I did here - it's just another way to look at it. I added a little fog and softened the edges of the grasses. I put in a few extra holes to let peeks of the water show through. It's just an idea for you to consider - hopefully others will have some thoughts too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2017/97763-Alys.jpg

DAK723
06-28-2017, 08:36 PM
I think the top (or first) version is definitely the best. There's enough detail at the top edge of the plants, but the basic silhouette works best, in my opinion. Plus, you are going from dark silhouette in foreground, to dark and light contrast in midground focal area, to light silhouette in background - thus creating a nice depth to the painting. Any sort of detail or noticeable elements in the immediate foreground makes me think I am essentially looking down at my feet, so to speak, which is too much of a distance between where my eye should be looking - and that is the middle ground.

Don

~JMW~
06-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Top one is my fave.. Vary the top line of the grasses they seem like a bit of straight line, or have another little bush or some twigs or reeds coming up..just a few ..

artelahe
06-28-2017, 10:51 PM
JMW, Don, and Donna, you have given me a lot to think about out. Thank you for your suggestions and feedback.

To me the top and middle version foregrounds don't 'go' with the rest of the painting well. They are almost a different style. I am also not wild about the foreground colors in the first one. They aren't in enough harmony with the rest of the work, at least not to me. Which is why I changed it up in the last one. I like the colors better, even with Donna's changes, but I understand what you mean about looking at your feet, Don.

Donna, I like your idea of ground fog in the foreground with some softer grasses detail.

The goal is to have the eye travel over the foreground, maybe come back once in a while but not be stuck there.

stapeliad
06-29-2017, 11:29 AM
I also like the top one best, and I like Donna's fog edit.
Don't make that area too busy, it isn't where the action is happening in the painting. :)

artelahe
06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Thank you, stapeliad.

Wow - I have 3 votes for my first version (the one I second and third guessed myself on!). My question: Would version 1 be better if it were darker, more along the hues and values in version 3 but retaining the grasses articulation of 1?

Divasin
06-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Aly, I agree ..your first idea was the most effective.
Donna's edit works well but because the foreground is so large it will always take away from your lovely foggy middle ground.
I've also tried an edit by cropping the foreground and making it slightly lighter.
I've retained the wedge shape as it echoes the lovely shapes in the rest of the picture.. hope you don't mind! Leslie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/1500147-On_Point1-sm-edit.jpg
SaveSave

artelahe
06-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Aly, I agree ..your first idea was the most effective.
Donna's edit works well but because the foreground is so large it will always take away from your lovely foggy middle ground.
I've also tried an edit by cropping the foreground and making it slightly lighter.
I've retained the wedge shape as it echoes the lovely shapes in the rest of the picture.. hope you don't mind! Leslie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2017/1500147-On_Point1-sm-edit.jpg
SaveSave

I don't mind one bit. It does look good like that, Leslie. Once I make changes, I will repost.