PDA

View Full Version : Oncoming Traffic - C&C please

artelahe
06-26-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm seeking comments, suggestions and critique about the composition and painting overall.

Experience: I am just finding my artist legs again after decades away from painting or creating art (restarted late March of this year).

Size: - 7.5x15.5"
Ground: UART 600
Underpainting: Alcohol wash over nupastel
Pastels: Sennelier, NuPastel

I am open to and welcome all feedback and critique.

Donna T
06-27-2017, 08:39 AM
I really like the dark and rainy scene you created and the drops on the windshield put us right there on the highway. The dark trees on the left are so nicely done - not overly detailed. If I had to tweak anything I might think about slightly toning down the yellow of the bush on the right (forsythia?) I like how it balances the other yellows but wonder if it could have a little more of your rainy atmosphere added to it. It's just a thought - I don't want to sound critical at all. Welcome to the forum!

artelahe
06-27-2017, 10:23 AM
I really like the dark and rainy scene you created and the drops on the windshield put us right there on the highway. The dark trees on the left are so nicely done - not overly detailed. If I had to tweak anything I might think about slightly toning down the yellow of the bush on the right (forsythia?) I like how it balances the other yellows but wonder if it could have a little more of your rainy atmosphere added to it. It's just a thought - I don't want to sound critical at all. Welcome to the forum!

You sound far, far from critical. I have been thinking the flare may be too bright and am considering making the centers smaller, but your suggestion has merit, if I can figure out how to actually do that.

Donna T
06-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Hi Aly, I have pretty good luck by putting some pastel on my finger and then lightly pressing it onto the area I want to subdue. If you use a very soft pastel it's probably best so that there is enough transferred to make a difference. You should end up with a very subtle veil of one color on top of another - sort of like fog or moisture in real life. Practice on a scrap first to see if this works for you.

Divasin
06-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Aly, this has a great atmosphere!
I like the colour choices and the hint of an underpainting.
I'd like to see a more irregular pattern of rain drops but other wise it's great!

artelahe
06-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Aly, this has a great atmosphere!
I like the colour choices and the hint of an underpainting.
I'd like to see a more irregular pattern of rain drops but other wise it's great!

Hi Leslie! Can you clarify? I took this to mean raindrop shape first, but I think you'd want them scattered differently, correct? Sometimes those reference photos are the DEVIL! Thanks. there was definitely an underpainting.