PDA

View Full Version : London Merchant

vegaskip
06-25-2017, 03:53 AM
Special commission For an old gentleman who sailed in her when he was a boy, ME!. 19/02/57 to 10/05/57 Cabin Boy. Wage 12 per month 'London Merchant' steaming up the Thames.
11" X 9"

Chas McHugh
06-25-2017, 05:16 AM
You are in great danger of following the 'Rule of thirds' there; not at all in keeping with your normal rebellious behavour 😉

A busy scene, but not overly so, and with much interest. Nothing beats a personal insight into history. Nice one.

NeilF92
06-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Very nice Jim - as good as any I saw in the Artists of the Thames exhibitions when I worked in London. The personal note adds to it

vegaskip
06-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Thank you both for commenting. Rules?, what rules?. Any way I won't charge for the top two inches so he can cut them off if he likes!
Jim
Ps She was a coal burner, and if we were along side for the week end they used to draw fires and shut down the generators, so it was the old gimble mounted paraffin lamps for lighting. She was supposed to do 10kts but I remember one trip we had to shelter in Robin Hood,s Bay as we were steaming flat out into the gale but doing about 3 kts astern over the ground. In London we tied up next to where the ships in the Portugese wine trade unloaded Port. Our 'Chef'! Had a mate on one of the 'port' boats, and if we were in at the same time, I usually ended up doining the cooking. I think my first experience of a hangover was from drinking illicit Port . Tut Tut and only 16!
Jim