PDA

View Full Version : A friend's daughter

Luke Taft
06-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Thank you guys for the positive feedback on my posts. I hope you don't mind my b&w portraits in this sub-forum. Here is one I did this morning for a b-day gift. 18"x24" (17.5x21.5 matted) white and black Mungyo with a couple of touches of charcoal pencil on 98lb Canson white multi-media paper. C&C always welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2017/1964809-finished-ps-frame.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2017/1964809-26578_116302551721175_5614615_n.jpg

water girl
06-22-2017, 10:13 PM
That looks very close to a likeness. I have two small suggestions for you. You could soften the line along the top of the shadow above the glasses. Squint and look at your reference and I think you'll see that. Also, the highlight on her bottom lip is only on our left side. You could soften that highlight on our right side. I know that is soooooooooo picky, but you've put so much work into this lovely portrait. It deserves those two small. What a generous gift!

Charles Perera
06-23-2017, 03:56 AM
Luke its good I agree with Karen. The eye brows should be softer and the upper lip and mouth line should be softer I think... I am no painter though.

Charles

Moises Menendez
06-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Good resemblance. Good suggestions noted.
One advise: when drawing from a colored photo into a black and white reproduction change the photo into black and white so it would be so easy to know all the nuances of the face.
Also, the cameras make errors when photos are taken so close to the subjects/
Do not copy everything you see in a photo. You have to add your own creation.

Luke Taft
06-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the great suggestions and observations. I do desaturate and play with contrast before doing a photo portrait for sure. I stopped the shadow of the nose short of the lips for aesthetic purposes. I also went higher contrast with the eyes to keep with a crisper look (note the hair too). I have learned that when I get too detailed in one spot, I feel I need to be consistent throughout. I wanted a smoother crisper product than the cell phone selfie. It helps when you know the subject well. The crispness gives a slight slimming effect without changing the likeness. The smoothness offers less detail in a well lit face with her outdoor-working ginger complexion. Feedback on this is welcome... :)

artelahe
06-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I agree with all the suggestions so far. I would add considering softening the chin shadow similar to what you've done with her upper cheeks. In the painting she looks chiseled while in the photo she has a softly defined chin.