PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify a pastel stick...

contumacious
06-22-2017, 01:07 PM
My wife bought a huge wooden plein air box full of artist grade pastels from someone at a workshop. It has turned into her favorite set. There is one pastel stick that is unlike any of the others in the box or in our entire collection. We both really like the color and consistency of this one stick and want to be able to replace it, as well as to get more like it to try.

It is square, slightly softer than and at first glance it looks like a NuPastel hard stick but it is slightly larger in diameter. It does not behave like a student grade pastel. It has the extrusion marks along the sides just like the NuPastels have. No markings visible, no label. Unsure if it was a half stick or full stick to begin with though it does appear to have been broken off on one end.

NuPastel Outside Dimension = 0.29" / ~12mm

Unknown Pastel Outside Dimension = 0.31" / ~13mm

Any help identifying it would be appreciated. Picture a NuPastel with no label wrapper and just a millimeter larger in diameter.

CM Neidhofer
06-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Could it be from a set of Richeson's? I have a set. they are a little softer than NuPastel. Never noticed a size difference, but wasn't looing either! Here's my set:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2017/40633-72_Richesons.jpg

stapeliad
06-22-2017, 04:07 PM
It could also be a mungyo semi-hard minus the wrapper.

can you post a picture?

KJSCL
06-23-2017, 12:07 AM
It could be a Faber Castell Polychromos. They are softer than Nupastel and slightly thicker
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-polychromos-pastels/

contumacious
06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It ended up being a Holbein and it didn't come in the used box my wife purchased. She told me it was a Holbein, but I didn't buy it. So she set out to prove her assertion. She looked up a purchase from last year of a bunch of individual sticks from various makers and there it was. The only Holbein she has ever bought and the color matches this one. Mystery solved. After using it, now I want a full set of these! (dang....)

Since we always remove all the labels when using pastels and don't keep them sorted by brand - to avoid stuff like this we started keeping a little log book of new pastels with the brand, color name, a color swatch, short description such as square, soft, hard etc, the item number if any so when we get down to the last nub we can replace it by matching the color and description in the book. They are all entered in a little spiral bound sketch book with color group tabs at the top to help find them. Much easier and more convenient than trying to keep labels with the the stick or asking the kind people on WC for help!

stapeliad
06-23-2017, 02:44 PM
but...but...but....

WHAT COLOR WAS IT??? :lol:

contumacious
06-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Blue Gray 3 !