PDA

View Full Version : Will my pastels smell like babies?

DrawingJared
06-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Hello, I would like to roll my own pastels and am looking to use the formula that includes calcium carbonate and talc. Now Amazon is offering the 22 oz - 3 pack of J&J "Classic Scented" Baby Powder for about $10. I could not find an unscented variety. Do you know if this will impart a babyish odor to my paintings, or should I stick strictly with the unscented? Thank you!

stapeliad
06-21-2017, 10:56 PM
I would not use commercial products for your endeavor, especially not fragranced ones. Best to use pure talc and know it is pure.

water girl
06-22-2017, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, follow Stapeliad's advice. Frangrances probably mean additives that will not lead to success.

DrawingJared
06-22-2017, 01:05 AM
Okay, I appreciate the advice. I found a seller on eBay that sells it in bulk. I've wanted to try my hand at making pastels for awhile, and with a little practice, seems like it would be a rewarding experience. Thank you!

indraneel
06-24-2017, 10:16 PM
I've not had good experience with talc. It decreases chroma much more than PCC, makes the pastel more prone to breaking, and makes it difficult to leave a mark. A creamier pastel, but more difficult to use. Also, talc is hydrophobic, so difficult to mix properly, and using fixative might also be a problem later. I'd suggest using only PCC (apart from pumice if one wants that), and drying in shade. It may take up to a month or more to dry properly. Slow drying is key to soft pastels. Also, some colors, like UMB, may not need any PCC or binders at all.