PDA

View Full Version : Garron Tower, Nr Ireland.

taghera
07-10-2001, 04:43 PM
Hi all, this is a watercolour of Garron Tower, Co. Antrim, Nr Ireland.
There is a bit more to the left hand side that didn't fit the scanner.
Comments as usual welcomed
Thanks for looking.

14x10 inches, 140lb paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2001/garrontower1.jpg

NorahT
07-10-2001, 05:44 PM
Gives me a feeling of noon-hour on a sunny day. Lovely colours - do I see New Gamboge there?

Javier
07-10-2001, 06:06 PM
"Garron Tower, Nr Ireland" is one fine piece of art. I really like the way the cannons are lined up, which establishes the point of view. You have used the light and shadows to the max. And your choice of colors is superb.

One question -- how long did it take you to complete this painting?

The Best,

edith
07-10-2001, 06:14 PM
Very nice indeed taghera. Like the colours. lovely atmospheric sky, really gives the place feeling. well done and hope to see more of your work soon. take care.

Rosebud
07-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Nice Job:clap:
Love your sky.
Very well done.
Tally-ho:D
Rose

daydreamer
07-10-2001, 08:33 PM
Nice composition! Great perspective! My eye follows the row of canons and the rock wall to the fortress.

Did you invent this composition, or was it from a photo?

ameliajordan
07-10-2001, 08:49 PM
Very nice painting. imho, the first cannon is so strong I keep getting hung up their. My eye goes to it and then down the casson and then sits there a bit. Maybe some directed texture in the path to take the eye over to the diagonal line to the door. (can't spell :( ) Your sky is wonderful and the buildings seems just right in color, texture and perspecitve. :clap:

taghera
07-10-2001, 09:17 PM
Norah T----- Thanks but i don't use new gamboge, its raw sienna with a touches of windsor yellow and aliz. crimson. :)

Javier----- About 5 hrs to do this one, the way the cannons are lined up was what drew me to this picture. :)

Edith, Rosebud, ---- Many thanks for your comments. :)

daydreamer----- no i didn't invent this composition, it was taken from a photo, many thanks. :)

Amelia---- You are correct in what your saying about the first cannon, it could do with getting toned down just a bit. :)

MissMouse
07-10-2001, 10:19 PM
what is "new gamboge"

I like this picture it reminds me how much I would like to visit Ireland. I have a very good friend who lives in Ballina. She is always bugging me to come.

NorahT
07-10-2001, 10:55 PM
Thanks taghera - I have those colours on my palette - will play with them and see what I can come up with.

Miss Mouse - I use W & N New Gamboge and it is a lovely warm yellow. I sometimes put a pale wash of it first thing in a painting as it mixes well with many other colours and gives a warm glow to the whole piece.

MALARKEY
07-11-2001, 05:30 AM
Tag! I love this one... You already know I'm a fan but I think I like this one best of all. ummmm do you have any castle photos you'd be willing to share? Great Job, Sandy

Studio224
07-11-2001, 06:19 AM
Hugh,

this is lovely, as always I like it. I agree with Amelia, the first cannon is too proeminent. Instead of toning it down, maybe putting some stones on the path leading us to the castle? Or toning down a bit the castle so we see more of the cannon?

And your sky is gorgeous...

Anne-Claire

Lise
07-11-2001, 06:47 AM
Very nice. I like the depth, the composition, and the harmony of the colours. Lovely piece.

TeAnne
07-11-2001, 09:21 AM
You know how I feel about your work :D It's lovely Hugh Goodonyamate :D

marina
07-11-2001, 12:42 PM
I think it is beautiful! I like everything about it. A question for you is, when you drew it, was is a quick sketch, or you took your time to make all the lines perpendicular. The drawing is usually what takes most of my time.
thanks.:)

taghera
07-11-2001, 01:29 PM
Miss Mouse, Teanne, Lise, Many thanks for your comments. :)

Mal------- Yes i have a couple of castle photos, i'll put them in the library, thank you. :)

Anne-Claire----- yes you have a couple of good ideas there, will have a look at them, many thanks.

Marina----- It was just a quick sketch, the outline of the castle was sketch in, then the sky etc painted, then the detail of the castle was put in, not with any great care, as i wanted to keep it in the middle distance.

majaya
07-11-2001, 08:16 PM
I've been away for over a month and just getting used to the changes ......so high tech now!!! this is a great painting. I love the glow in the sky framing the castle as it does, the compositon sparks my adventurous spirit. I do agree with Amelia about the canon which seems to compete with the castle for attention....or is it the path? this reminds me of my 'Through the Garden Path' back on page 10 in the forum; I was told to darken the foreground and when I did the eye was drawn to the glow of light in the distance. Whatever happened to your hiker in the hills.......I'm so far behind!!! Mary

taghera
07-11-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by majaya
Whatever happened to your hiker in the hills.......I'm so far behind!!! Mary

Wow Mary you are far behind, well the hiker got lost, never heard of again, lol, thanks for your comments on this one. :)

billyg
07-12-2001, 04:25 AM
As ever Well done Hugh :clap: :clap:
My only comment ( as usual I have to have one.:evil: )is that there are no holes in the wall for the cannon balls to go through. Maybe thats the Irish way of getting your own back Hehehehehe.
Again Top painting Hugh.:D:D:D:D

Rod
07-12-2001, 06:46 AM
Lovely wet into wet sky . Your overall colour choice blends very well.
I like the bright bold foreground, the only part that bothers me is the left green hillside, the strong green catches my eye. Would like to see it faded a bit and possibly a blue green.
Rod.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 03:38 PM
taghera
What a wonderful painting.
I walk up the right side, check out the cannons, have a look over the edge. Take a stroll through the castle. Come out the left. Enjoy the view, then do it all over again. :)

taghera
07-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Billy-------- Now you should know we Irish are not stupid, there are no holes for the canons to fire through because if there is an attack from behind we fire the canons into the wall and it rebounds of the wall and hits the attackers. smart eh. :D :D :D

Rod----- Thanks for your comments, yes i'm inclined to agree with you, that green is a bit strong. :)

Leafin---- Many thanks for your comments. :)

billyg
07-14-2001, 05:21 AM
Hey Hugh,
Never thought of the old bouncing cannon ball trick Duh !. I agree about the green with Rod, lightest light and darkest dark and all that stuff.
I do really like it though as I do all of your stuff.
Billyg :D:D :clap: :clap:

taghera
07-14-2001, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by billyg
Hey Hugh,
Never thought of the old bouncing cannon ball trick Duh !. I agree about the green with Rod, lightest light and darkest dark and all that stuff.
I do really like it though as I do all of your stuff.
Billyg :D:D :clap: :clap:

Yes Billy I know what Rods saying about the green, and i also agree with him, many thanks. :) :) :)

billyg
07-14-2001, 05:01 PM
Hey Hugh,
One thing I always forget to say but here I go. Your work inspires me a great deal, I like your style and application and the texture you gain with your paper. I am hopefully going to be able to get some Bockingford ROUGH to try out soon, as the normal Bockingford paper like that around here is the NOT in pads.I do like a good rough paper, especially hit and miss dry brush work for seascapes.
I imagine you paint a lot from photos do you ? ,using your own interpratation of the photo to give the lovely colour co-ordination you get and composition.I can imagine or rather see why you sell so well. And what a lovely country for examples, the most beautiful country in the world is it not.
There you go now Hugh, a heap of praise for you to sleep on.
Carry on with the very pleasing work you produce, always glad to see your name in the postings.
Why worry about being a Millionaire when you can paint like you do.
Billyg :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

taghera
07-15-2001, 05:41 PM
WOW, Billy ease up now, :D :D anyhow very many thanks for your comments, yes Ireland is a very beautiful country from an artists point of view, lots of places to wet the appetite, I do a lot of painting from photos but also like to get outside in the fresh air to do a bit of painting as well, the paper i like most is the rough, it lets you get texture into a painting, and thats one thing you have to work hard at in watercolours.
I do worry about being a millionaire, i worry because i'm not one, but perhaps you could tell us sometime what it is like. :D :D :D :D

Thanks again Billy. :) :) :)

majaya
07-15-2001, 10:06 PM
I posted a reply to this piece just after I got back into the groove however don't see it here I must have screwed up somehow. Anyway I do want to say that I like this piece very much. Have you made any changes?? Please post the result if you did.
.....actually it must be sold by now! Mary

taghera
07-16-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by majaya
I posted a reply to this piece just after I got back into the groove however don't see it here I must have screwed up somehow. Anyway I do want to say that I like this piece very much. Have you made any changes?? Please post the result if you did.
.....actually it must be sold by now! Mary

Hi Mary, yes your post is just back a few there, :D :D but thanks again anyhow, actually i've just finished a 20x16 of this one for a client, but at the moment haven't got a digi camera and its much to big for the scanner. the only real change was the sky was a bit lighter and i took Rods advice on the green behind the castle. again many thanks. :) :)

Reye
07-19-2001, 10:03 AM
Taghera
More...more....more...I really enjoy your work.
Thanks
Jerry

taghera
07-19-2001, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Reye
Taghera
More...more....more...I really enjoy your work.
Thanks
Jerry

Many thanks Jerry for your comments. :) :)

T-Rex
07-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Hi Taghera,

I am just swept along by the perspective, very well done:clap: .....Karen

taghera
07-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by T-Rex
Hi Taghera,

I am just swept along by the perspective, very well done:clap: .....Karen

Thanks Karen. :) :)