PDA

View Full Version : New to digital art, need help starting

hazegry
06-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Hi guys,
I am new to digital artwork, I have the full adobe suite PS, AI etc. I also got the Sketchable app, and I am looking at getting Artrage.

Does anyone know of any tutorials about setting up a surface pro (new version) and or setting up the apps? I am totally new to digital art and all the videos I see seem to assume a bit of familiarity with the apps I do not have.

I am excited about using layers to quickly rough out my ideas and get away from drawing or painting from pictures so much.

LavenderFrost
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Usually painting apps are ready to use. It's just a matter of setting personal preferences. I just start playing around and look things up in the help files or google it.

A lot of videos on YouTube are more of a time lapse, fun to watch but you don't always know what they are doing. There are some that are more in depth.

Elainepsq
06-21-2017, 11:19 AM
I agree, I don't have a surface pro, but I'd definitely look online for tutorials on that. For what you want to do, I think sketch and Artrage will be your friends! The adobe suite is more complicated. Unless you have previous experience with it, I'd concentrate on Artrage and sketch up and see what is most intuitive for you.
Good luck, and stop back and let us know how you are doing.

hazegry
06-21-2017, 02:59 PM
ok I guess I just have to play around with it, I work 2 jobs so not much time I was hoping to cut the learning curve a bit. I do have experience in photoshop but just as a photographer.

LavenderFrost
06-22-2017, 11:12 AM
There are so many ways of doing thing digitally, it all depends on what you want and how you like to do things.

You can work in a very traditional way while taking advantage of things such as layers and other basic digital tools and then slowly learn about other tools and techniques. Artrage is probably a good way for you to go. Painter is also popular, but more expensive.

Milo
06-24-2017, 09:47 PM
There are a lot of ways to do various things, techniques. However there are some really good Patreon and Gumroad tutorials that cover a number of subjects.

Are you interesting in Comic Style, Cell SHading Line art.
Portraits
Anime Style Painting
Animals
Landscape
Realism.

I have a few excellen tutorial/paint along instruction I will send the links.
Some of that will also be which software, Clipstudio Paint to Photoshop and others as mentioned depending on what you want to accomplish.

Let me know..

hazegry
07-11-2017, 05:21 PM
I have adobe illustrator and clip studio along with sketchable. I would like to do illustration work. landscape and futuristic vehicles. all of what you stated appeals to me Milo but I guess I can focus on comic style for now and go from there.