PDA

View Full Version : Fostering Creativity

avickery
11-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Greetings,
This is my first post so I will be brief. I am a Graphic Design student at The Art Institute of Atlanta. I used to design web sites and enjoyed it, so I thought that I might enjoy studying art full-time. I never took art in High School and have never considered myself creative, so being around so many creative people that produce such beautiful projects is quite intimidating for me. I am searching for ways to enhance my creativity, and find my inner artist. So, I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints from their early days when they first started in the arts. How does the change in thinking begin to take place? Are there any exercises one can do?

Thank You,
Alan S. Vickery
Artistic Newbie

Eugene Veszely
11-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Tony Buzan has some excellent books on creativity, read some of them :)

JoyJoyJoy
11-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by avickery
How does the change in thinking begin to take place?

Alan... that change in you is taking place now! Just the fact that you have posted with such questions means you are already on your way.

Look, you can buy all kinds of books and do all kinds of exercises, but the only way you are going to be an artist is to just do it. Start with a media, an artist, a style you like and copy that, over and over. Draw, paint, throw clay, sculpt... does not matter where you start, they will all teach you. Then, experiment with something else. Take a class here and there in an art form that interests you, from your school, a local art school, or adult evening classes.

Don't be intimated. Learning to be fine artist is like learning anything else. Never put yourself down... Do you know how many of us are intimated by html, never mind website stuff???? The very same creativity and interest you have in graphic art is what makes a good fine artist... you just use brushes and paint instead of a computer and mouse.

Never compare your art with anyone else's, except to learn something new from theirs. We each have our own style, our own creativity, our own vision. Trust in yours... and enjoy the adventure! Even Matisse said "I wish I could paint like everyone else." And, we would be much poorer if he had figured out how to paint like others!

Nance

Sundrop
11-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Alan ,I have always believed That you dont need to read books or go to college for years to become creative or be an artist.You might know the history of certain artist or know how to mix colors and theory and stuff like that ,but for me I taught myself through doing it on a regular basis.I cant sing or dance ,but I think I have talent as as painter.Like the person before me stated ,try different things and pursue the best one for you...Art comes in many forms.and is not for everyone.I cannot do realism,nor do I like it. ,But i can do surreal type abstracts, and I have stuck with that nitch,Because i like it.find your nitch and go with it.I think personally everyone can be creative,its applying it that can be the problem......apply it where it fits,Test out different style and substrates and go with your gut.There is never a such thing as a bad artist,art is seen differently by everyone......whether its photography or carving with wood.find where you passion lies and roll with it your bound to find something you like and then let the creativity come out,you will then create your own style and it is very rewarding.goodluck and post your reults..Steve

Rose Queen
11-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas!

Alan, I think Nance's comment that the change has begun just by virtue of you asking the question is true. Now the question is how to kick-start the process into overdrive.

The Artist's Way program (discussed extensively in the subforum to this one) is a good way to do that. While I agree with Steve that reading and college aren't essential to becoming creative, I do think there's value in reading how other people have struggled with (and, hopefully, solved) the same or similar problems themselves and to exposing oneself to many different kinds of creativity, because I don't think you can ever know for certain where the spark that lights your particular fire is going to come from.

If you scroll through this forum and the Artist's Way subforum, you will find many suggestions that may be helpful to you. I just started reading
Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It's based on interviews with over 90 creative people who have made a noteworthy mark in their fields with the goal of trying to see what it is that they share in common and how the rest of us might apply the lessons learned to make our own lives more creative. I have no idea how it will turn out, but it seemed worth a read!

Good luck and let us know how your journey unfolds!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

rusticstudio
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
I am interested in this also. I am in a group called the Creativity Circle and recently our leader bailed on us. As we were somewhat dissatisfied with the way the group was working, we're using this as an opportunity to redesign. What we're looking for is a book or other resource of activities to boost creativity. We know of the Artists Way, but we want activities that stand alone and do not necessarily build on each other because people may be joining in at any time and we don't want them to feel like they missed anything. Does anyone have any suggestions of books or Web sites? TIA

thelonious
11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
When I studied Graphic Design at the Pacific Northwest College of Art, we had to take a class called Visual Elements. Here is the description:

The purpose of this course is to teach students how to organize the visual elements of line, shape, texture/pattern, value and space on a two-dimensional surface. This involves training the hand to manipulate materials and sharpening the eye so that the visual effects of these materials can be understood. Emphasis is placed equally upon representation and abstraction. Each project is followed by a group critique to help the student perceive his/her work more objectively.

One term was only done in black and white, the other term used color. It was an excellent class, we used acrylics mostly, but also collage with paper, fabric, etc. It really showed me some art basics, while giving me the confidence to do some stuff artisticly... more so than when I took a watercolor class. If your school has something like that, I'd highly recommend it!

minov
11-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Rose Queen
I just started reading
Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It's based on interviews with over 90 creative people who have made a noteworthy mark in their fields with the goal of trying to see what it is that they share in common and how the rest of us might apply the lessons learned to make our own lives more creative. I have no idea how it will turn out, but it seemed worth a read!

Good luck and let us know how your journey unfolds!

This is a great book. It shows how creativity is not limited to the "arts" but is a way of thinking that can be applied to any field or problem.

The only other thing I would add is what they drilled into us in architecture scool over and over again....."It's the process, stupid, not the product!!" Eventually you'll start to produce what your mind sees....

pampe
11-05-2003, 06:42 PM
let me also suggest this book:

Free Play: The Power of Improvisation in Life and the Arts by Stephen Nachmanovitch

CarlyHardy
11-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi Alan,
I live near Atlanta and belong to the Atlanta Artists' Center. You might be interested in visiting the gallery...it's a great way to get involved with other artists in the Atlanta area. Check out their website for info and a map. It's located on Grandview, off Pharr Rd, between Peachtree and Piedmont.

carly

avickery
03-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback! I really appreciate it