PDA

View Full Version : Two Recent Paintings May 2017

Shallbe
05-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Finally I am on summer break, and I plan to paint a LOT. The first project I needed to work on was a painting I started months back. I had asked my daughter and son-in-law for a meaningful photo sans people that I could paint for them. They chose a photo of poppies and bluebonnets from, I believe, their honeymoon. I wasn't sure it would turn out well, but after returning to it so many months later, I must have learned some things, because I believe it turned out really nice.

8X10
Pastelmat
Pan Pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2017/1988178-MP5_1_of_1_800x642.jpg

Once that was finished there was another photo a friend had posted online...it was the only photo left from her time in a foreign country years ago (others had been damaged). This was a photo of the way to her home. I loved the glow of light off the old architecture and asked permission to paint it. I had a sample of Hannemuhle black velour and thought it would be perfect for the painting.

8X10 ish, I think
Mungyo Gallery pastels
Hannemuhle black velour

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2017/1988178-KimberlysArch_658x800.jpg

I enjoyed working on the velour once I realized that my student-grade stick pastels were perfect for it.

C&C welcome!

shallbe

mandalaToronto
06-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Absolutely fabulous!
You really are a consummate artist.
I too love pan pastels.
I just got some Blue Earth pastels and will compare.
Keep up the good work

Marilyn Ann
06-01-2017, 11:00 AM
How good to come back to something you have painted and feel pleasure! Remembering the satisfaction experienced: the joy of the color, the tactile pleasure as the chalk is applied. Just to drink in the beauty of the product could be sufficient but for the artist who rendered it there are those extra bonuses. So glad you can get back to painting.

water girl
06-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Success! You haven't lost your touch. I'm really taken with the night time painting.

Donna T
06-01-2017, 03:51 PM
What a great way to start off your summer: two wonderful paintings! I like them both very much.

Dingo
06-02-2017, 12:59 AM
Both Great paintings, Though the ambience in the second night time one really grabs me, well executed, keep it up CHEERS!!

Moises Menendez
06-02-2017, 05:35 AM
The second work is really great.

nachele
06-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Both lovely Shallbe, love them! I also love especially the second one, I love the light and the yellow-blue strong contrast, and moreover it reminds me of some italian medieval borough so it looks familiar :)