PDA

View Full Version : What board to use to mount sanded pastel paper?

mkilci
05-26-2017, 06:54 PM
Hello.

I am looking to mount Wallis and Sennelier pastel paper/board to a stronger surface. I have foind some articles and youtube videos on how to using Golden Mediums.

Some using MDO and some MDF. What is the best, archieval board should I use? I do not think neither MDF or MDO is archiaval.

Thanks in advance.

DAK723
05-27-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't have an answer to your questions, but my question is - do you plan on framing your work? If you do, then I would consider the weight of the board - or if you even need to mount your paintings to anything. Both Wallis and Sennelier paper/boards are fairly rigid and heavy enough to be framed by merely placing the artwork between the glazing (glass or acrylic - and a spacer or mat if desired) and a backing board (which could be foam board or poster board or something similar). The artwork can be hinge taped to the backing board so that it is free to expand and contract with changes in humidity and temperature. it can also be easily removed from the backing board if you or someone in the future wants to re-frame the piece in the future.

That, of course, is just one idea. Many folks do mount their work to baord and hopefully you will get some suggestions. Keep in mind that WC is having some issues, so that may be why not many folks have responded yet!

Don

contumacious
05-27-2017, 02:06 PM
I started working with pastels about 3 years ago and quickly learned that I do not like dealing with un-mounted pastel paper at any step of the process including framing.

I have had excellent results with tempered hardboard (sealed) aka Masonite and my #1 favorite - ACM Panels - aka M-Panel/E-Panel/Dibond as the support. Beva 371 liquid or film is probably the best material to mount the paper to the board with but any type of archival adhesive will work.

These links on WC have a bit more detailed information that I have posted here previously:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424808

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1427286