PDA

View Full Version : "Remagen Strike"

Kassal
05-25-2017, 07:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/y5ratR7.png11X14 inches, acrylic on 'Claybord'

Trumper
05-25-2017, 10:45 AM
WOW ,You have mastered acrylics , great sense of speed :)

Kassal
05-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Thanks, buddy. That was the challenge with this: to get the effect of speed close to the deck. I used the geography to assist in this, with everything seeming to converge on the bridge.

Apparently the barrage put up during the Luftwaffe attacks was the densest AA of the war in such a confined area.

NeilF92
05-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Great action painting . Good to see it portrayed from the opposite direction to most paintings .

Kassal
05-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Thanks... you noticed that!:lol:

Kassal
06-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Quite separate from the above painting, I've long planned a much bigger project focused on the Ludendorff bridge, with the bridge itself much larger in the picture. To get a completely unique view of the structure I decided to build a scale model of one end (the eastern bank) to include both the towers and the superstructure. This should allow me to get an image that's well-lit and seen from a particular angle, to suit my desired composition.

I haven't decided yet whether to model the geology behind (most notably the beetling "Erpeler Ley") but since it was always intended as a huge painting, for me anyway, I wanted to make every effort.

Here's a photo of the start of the bridge modelling; I'm using white card with an expected mix of "Plastruct" and balsa for the girders:

http://i.imgur.com/DFLrESS.jpg

NeilF92
06-18-2017, 05:25 AM
Great way of getting the right perspective and scale . Digital camera's are a God send for shooting models . I guess white card and balsa etc is no more time consuming than building a virtual model in 3D software ( which is how I'd have tackled the problem ).

Looking forward to developments .

Kassal
06-18-2017, 05:58 AM
I'd love to be able to do that, Neil, but I don't have the knowledge; an architect friend offered to do it with his no doubt state-of-the-art CAD software, but since I know he would've refused payment I didn't want to put him to the trouble.

I'll get there in the end, I guess.