PDA

View Full Version : Path in the Amazon rainforest

Skavendish
05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi!

In some places of the forest, we have opened some ways to move around, which we call "picada".

As there is a clearing, the shading blends in with some rays of light, which gives a contrast as we walk through the "picada".

This work sought to bring some of this sense of peace and search for the unknown that the Amazonian forest gives us.

Here I present a "step by step". I used, at the beginning, Castell Polychromos (01) and Conté (02), hard. At the end (03) I used Toison and Rembrandt.

I hope you like it.

(01)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2017/1980607-01.gif

(02)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2017/1980607-02.gif

(03)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2017/1980607-03.gif

stapeliad
05-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Really fun to see the progress... great finish! :)

water girl
05-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Thank you for sharing your WIP. Your palette is beautiful and there is a subtle, gentle movement through out your painting. Well done!

Moises Menendez
05-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Moito ben meu amigo!
I like the values and the contrast on this work, especially the light on the trees.

Katiepea
05-24-2017, 06:23 PM
I adore the scratchy texture of the bark you've created here, and like Moses, the light that plays on the trees. Thank you for sharing your process too, it's fascinating to see how people create!

Skavendish
05-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Really fun to see the progress... great finish! :)

Jessica, generally, when photographing, many details are lost. Even more being the file to be posted here so small. Thanks for message! :-)

Your palette is beautiful and there is a subtle, gentle movement through out your painting.

Karen, grateful for your words, always so kind. :-)
After a year experimenting with pastels, I start to get a little more confident. Thanks for the encouragement.

I like the values and the contrast on this work, especially the light on the trees.

Moises, grateful for the words!
When I saw how the painting was getting, I began to wonder what the balance between yin and yang would look like. One side of the light picture, the other dark. So I understood that it should have points of clarity on the dark side, just as the yin-yang symbol has a white dot on the dark side. At this moment, which was the last of the work, I understood that nothing else was necessary in this work.

I adore the scratchy texture of the bark you've created here, and like Moses, the light that plays on the trees. Thank you for sharing your process too, it's fascinating to see how people create!

Kate, thank you very much for the words. It's important to know how artists understand my work. I live very far from major centers and I do not know any artists in my city. As locals say, here is the frontier of civilization. :-)

spydersmomtammy
05-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Lovely movement and light in this George - beautifully done!

Donna T
05-25-2017, 07:49 AM
What a nice painting! Thanks for sharing the progression shots so we can see how you developed the forms of the trees before you adorned them with foliage. I imagine that it must be quite magical to be in a sunlit clearing within a rainforest!

nachele
05-29-2017, 05:33 AM
George - I love everything of this painting! The texture, the movement created by the leaves and by the perspective of the trees, the light on the trees, and the sense of realism even with bright and vivid colours. Your process is amazing, though I have no idea how you went from pic 2 to pic 3 - that's kind of magic!
Love your work, thanks for sharing with us, it is very inspiring to me as a beginner!

Skavendish
05-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Lovely movement and light in this George - beautifully done!

Thank you, Tammy!

What a nice painting! Thanks for sharing the progression shots so we can see how you developed the forms of the trees before you adorned them with foliage. I imagine that it must be quite magical to be in a sunlit clearing within a rainforest!

Donna,
My great experiences were to enter the forest and spend six, seven, ten days on an expedition there; At the age of eighteen, I spent six months in Roraima, in 1986, in the middle of the forest. Surely the feeling of peace I have when entering the Amazon rainforest is indescribable. Magical and extrasensorial experience!
Thanks for your words!

George - I love everything of this painting! The texture, the movement created by the leaves and by the perspective of the trees, the light on the trees, and the sense of realism even with bright and vivid colours. Your process is amazing, though I have no idea how you went from pic 2 to pic 3 - that's kind of magic!
Love your work, thanks for sharing with us, it is very inspiring to me as a beginner!

Nat, thank you!
Unfortunately I absorbed myself in the work and, taking the third photo, I did not register this passage that you mention. Next time I'll pay attention to that.

Divasin
05-31-2017, 08:22 AM
I admire the rich textures and strong use of light and shadow.
Welcome to this frontier of civilization.:wave:

Skavendish
06-01-2017, 08:49 PM
I admire the rich textures and strong use of light and shadow.
Welcome to this frontier of civilization.:wave:

Thanks, Leslie!
The best frontiers that an artist must overcome are our doors of perception, which align our minds to our hearts. Thank you for your words!

BCarey
06-04-2017, 09:31 AM
You really have a great touch with depth and shadow. Keep up the nice work, I want to see more.

Skavendish
06-04-2017, 09:48 PM
You really have a great touch with depth and shadow. Keep up the nice work, I want to see more.

Thanks, Becky! :) :) :) :)

maryinasia
06-04-2017, 10:19 PM
beautiful

Skavendish
06-07-2017, 12:05 AM
beautiful

thanks Mary!