PDA

View Full Version : PEL and KB value

martha gamblin
07-10-2001, 12:38 PM
Hello. Last night I was thinking about a few issues some of you have raised on the oil painting forum ... and I doubted that I sent you the correct information when I responded to a chat on
alkyd resin painting mediums. Now of course I can't find that message to make sure. So here goes:

By using alkyd resin painting mediums, painters can use solvents with higher PEL (Permissible Exposure Level) and lower KB value. KB value is a measure of solvent power.

I also remember reading a painter's comment that a tube of Gamblin color was too stiff. Please send it back. We are making a craft product here... like a micro brew or an Oregon Pinot Noir.
I appreciate painters' support and I read aloud your letters at our morning production meetings. And I would also like to know if we are not meeting your expectations and show our production staff why not. Thanks, Martha

Verdaccio
07-10-2001, 02:43 PM
Hello Martha and Welcome to Wet Canvas! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to join us here in the Oil Painting forum!

Can you explain a little more about PEL and KB levels? What are they and how do you apply them to painting? Or are they functions of making paint?

tonymarzi
07-10-2001, 08:57 PM
I was wondering what is the amount of solvents you would be able to put in the Oil Colours before its vehicle binding has been compromised? or is this not a problem?

doug
07-10-2001, 11:31 PM
Hi Martha,
I received an email from Robert Gamblin in which he said that "some" additives were used in the artist's oil colors. After linseed oil and the listed pigment what percentage has been added of "other". I assume it varies - what would be the range?
Thanks.

sarkana
07-11-2001, 06:21 AM
i think i understand the advantage of replacing damar with alkyd in mediums: it allows painters to use a less volatile solvent. fantastic! i get rid of that pesky turpentine smell and my boyfriend stops bitching about my glazing process.

but what about the strong and to-my-nose-not-so-pleasant smell of the alkyds? it smells like a factory in my studio when i open a bottle of galkyd. breathing those odors cannot be healthy.