PDA

View Full Version : Sleepin' Sook for national entree... 18"x 24"

LarrySeiler
05-18-2017, 10:33 AM
So, with a national show in an association I am signature member of, entrees being taken now online, and due by June 9th, I am using an oil study on paper as reference, together with my prior photo references to do this larger in-studio version on a Senso linen panel I made.

Senso linen (from Jerrry's Artarama) has a clear size, sealer/primer yielding the natural color of the linen and good to go. I prefer painting on tones, and with a white surface will tone, so this is nice to work on. Adhered to a hardboard laminate panel.

I used a gray I mixed up as a mother color, or as Edgar Payne called "pigment soup" and the idea is to use a bit of the gray in every color mixed to imbue a force color harmony. Doesn't have to be a gray or neutral, can be one pile of color you mix up and slide into all others. I enjoy working with gray mud left over from a previous painting, scraped off. Used a Gamblin Torrit gray which is complimentary in an art store when buying Gamblin paints...which is their scraping of left over paint. Each tube might be a different value or hint of color

So, premixed my palette...added Gamblin nonsolvent gel medium as a siccative, usually dry to touch within 4-5 days.

I used a one inch el cheapo from a Hobby Lobby I stopped by two days ago, preferring my Rosemary brushes, but need to invest in some larger studio brushes. Most my brushes are plein air smaller size. I did the entire painting you see here with that one brush.

The attack...is a direct brushstroke laid is a brushstroke stayed alla prima strategic intended aim. Three to four strokes, then back for more paint. It is a hovering of the brush just above, visualize the intended direction the paint will be laid, then a direct applying.

I began by using charcoal vine stick to draft the composition...which for this subject helps with the more deliberate brush attack. I don't as a rule, outdoors plein air painting anyway, begin with a drafted drawing. I usually just block in the large shapes, or a few lines with turps and a stiff round.

But...the charcoal easily wipes out...and I can judge the compositional layout design...move things around.

I decided on a slightly lower positioning on the linen. The paper study is a more horizontal layout format. Positioned higher on the 18"x 24" yields a sense of greater nobility...but positioning lower gives greater weight to gravity.

I wanted to emit that feeling of heaviness, a very tired pup surrendering to gravity and sinking into that exhausted couch cushion...thus I lowered the pup in the format. I will need to work in a compositional eye directive to the upper left to attract the eye, but not strongly. Just enough to create the visual asymmetrical balance that will be needed...

When it was time to paint, there was no need to fix the charcoal. I just lightly wiped out the darks, and lifted just enough charcoal to leave but just more the hint of the draft. Then just started painting. This was where I left the painting off last night, and now about to once more paint hopefully to a near finishing...

(last pic here is the study on paper)

LarrySeiler
05-18-2017, 10:34 AM
my palette...and brush for this first session

KreativeK
05-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Really outstanding, Larry, and I'm certain it will be a winner!

LarrySeiler
05-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Kay...

PamSav
05-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Lovely and expressive. Good luck with the contest!

LibbyG
05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for sharing your procedures and thought processes with us. Very valuable to those of us who are less experienced (like me).

Vivien Maloney
05-18-2017, 02:58 PM
This is going to be fabulous Larry! Many thanks for sharing your WIP's and also the colors youve used!

LarrySeiler
05-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone. Taking a break to sit back, study and restore my palette.

Here is where it is at...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2017/532-IMG_20170518_150046_350.jpg

Here it's an idea for you if you have a smaller studio space like I have a getting away from your work to see how it works from some good places back. Use your smartphone as if you were taking a selfie. No need to take the pic as I have here, just seeing it over your shoulder helps. Like having a mirror... Which I don't have...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2017/532-FB_IMG_1495138262105.jpg

LarrySeiler
05-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Done for tonight...making progress. Will need some retooling of the background to work to my satisfaction...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2017/532-FB_IMG_1495158863058.jpg

Sorry for glare. Hard to get a pic otherwise at the moment.

A close-up...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2017/532-FB_IMG_1495158868501.jpg

Misted-Dream
05-19-2017, 12:58 AM
This is looking great so far, Larry! :)

LarrySeiler
05-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Thanks you

hardmoney
05-19-2017, 03:09 AM
Looks fantastic! could actually call it finished the way it is.

fedetony
05-19-2017, 04:31 AM
:) The image is very attractive, looking forward to see where you take it :)

LarrySeiler
05-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Thanks... Appreciate the comments...

Schuee
05-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Lovely. I like the earlier work, too.

LarrySeiler
05-19-2017, 05:07 PM
thank you...

So...some might wonder, what goes thru the mind of the artist taking a break, sitting back in a chair in the studio and just studying the painting on the easel? Where to take finishing?

Thought I would make a couple graphics (retired, but there's still the teacher in me), and show what just a couple options have been mulling over in my head. This isn't a case where a painter set up just paints what they see. That...would be easy. This is implementing creative aesthetic decisions, and the mantra often that comes from my lips teaching workshops, that "paintings work for reasons paintings work"...

So...the larger part of me does not want a completely filled in corner to corner finishing. I don't believe the painting requires it to state what I want to state. So at force are asymmetrical visual balancing considerations to employ and at play.

Does the eye trail off the left side doing a more complete finishing? I don't think so. How far up to the left corner? Does including an impression of the arm of the chair prevent the eye from exiting the right side, versus leaving it out...etc; keeping the focus where I have the head and light focused...

I used my digital tablet to play with and illustrate the ideas in my head for the interest of those that have been following. The larger image to the left is where I stopped painting last night...

LarrySeiler
05-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Done for the night...think I like my decisions...'cept one that I'm yet mulling over, which I'll share thru a doctored pic and explain...

Finished the right paw coming down, extended the cushion to the left, rendering some value beneath the cushion lower left and faded. As to the right corner...I opted to extend a few strokes of color to suggest the cushion goes just a bit more and skip the arm of the chair...

So...one compositional "mistake" I am sensitive to avoid, and point out often enough in critiques, judging...is the repetition that often is not realized. Here, I used red to show...

LarrySeiler
05-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Used my DSLR...better pic, calling it done...and is signed. Time to start my next entree piece...

thanks for commenting...

Triduana
05-21-2017, 04:05 AM
Wonderful! Such good colour harmony throughout. Thank you for sharing your process in such detail, it's always interestng to read how artists approach things.

fedetony
05-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Lovely results... good luck with the entry :)

LarrySeiler
05-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Thank you...